UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Raw Potatoes

Julie C

:) You learn new things on forums ... I never knew green potatoes were poisonous ... i mean i have never eaten them because always thought they can't be right but never knew they would poison me!

More pics of the potato stealing hound please???

Catherine

x

:) You learn new things on forums ... I never knew green potatoes were poisonous ... i mean i have never eaten them because always thought they can't be right but never knew they would poison me!

More pics of the potato stealing hound please???

Catherine

x

I will try to get some today if 1, It stops raining and 2, If he keeps still long enough. :biggrin:

Thank you everyone for the advice. I just need to make sure I have plenty now. :flowers:

green potatoes? :unsure:

Henry eats raw veg all the time. :biggrin:

So does Archie and his trumps are audible, even if I am upstairs :huh: :huh:

Poor Cliffy being a scent hound retreats to the kitchen to sniff the washing powder in the cupboard :laugh:

don't wish to hijack the thread but does all raw veg help clean their teeth...

green potatoes? :unsure:

Green potatoes are definitely a nono for dogs and people.

Potatoes are from the Solanum family, like deadly nightshade, and all the green parts of the plant are poisonous, including the fruits (therefore, never let small children near your potato patch when the plants are in flower, as the fruits look like little green tomatoes! Tomatoes are also part of the Solanum family, but they have been specially bred to have edible fruits) .

It's only the tubers of the potato that are edible, and only when they are well away from the light (which is one reason why we earth up potatoes: you don't want the tubers forming near the top of the soil where the light can get to them). When they see light, they start to turn green, and produce increased amounts of poisonous solanine.

It's unlikely that a green potato will kill you or a dog, but it may taste bitter and could produce a nasty stomach upset.

Unless organic i was told not to let dogs have potato or carrot skin as chemicals used absorb into the skin

Possibly, but I would think no more so than into any other veg or salad stuff that we don't peel

i didnt know green spuds were poisenous either... we live and learn. but my self preservation gene tends to steer me away from anything that isnt supposed to be green but is so i guess im unlikely to try them out and see :unsure: