UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Please If You Have Greys

Katiebob

Don't really know how to start this but:

We have Jasmine who came to us from Limerick as a foster.

She has been fostered since late January. She's a 2 year old ex-racer who Limerick bought from the sales. We agreed tonight that, whatever, she's going to be staying with us. :)

However, from time to time, when she's resting, she will suddenly start 'screaming - and I mean screaming - high pitched and sounds like she's being murdered. It's as if she has cramp but she will wake up and run around the house in apparent agony. Occasionally she'll hold a back leg up but not always. It goes on for around 1 - 2 minutes and scares us witless and causes some degree of fear/aggression/apprehension in all our other dogs too!

So far, it's always happened when she's resting but never overnight although she's just had an episode now. She always has soft bedding to sleep on and it's never happened when she's in her crate either, although she's hardly ever in a crate these days.

Obviously she will need to see a vet if it continues but it will be difficult, I suspect, to identify because it happens periodically but with no regular pattern and she's not lame at all :wacko: I know Greys are notorious wimps but this is different.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas? Any suggestions to help it?

tbh I have no idea whatsoever.

Just have a thought though - do you think it could possibly be something like pins and needles if she has been laying still for a long time. If so, possibly a circulation problem. If it is anything like that I would expect it to still happen when she is in her crate.

I'm probably talking crud though :biggrin:

Whatever it is I hope you get it sorted or find out that it is nothing to worry about

First of all... :partytime: that you are keeping her and secondly...is she asleep when this happens?? if so...nightmares! Pegs did this ALOT when she first came home, it has eased up now, but it was as if she was having bad dreams :unsure:

whatever it is, hope she is ok and nothing serious, pics please :biggrin:

Merlin (ex Courser) used to do this, including holding up a hindleg. It eased after a few months and bedding/bed etc made no difference. I took him to the vet back then only to be told that GHs do cramp up every now and then if they have been *working* although Merlin had been out of the circuit for months. I also found that he was very whimpy :rolleyes: and the slightest upset would set him off screaming, including tapping his toes on a step :wacko: .

Could be a bit of cramp - Ollie is a complete wimp and sometimes gets up and starts limping holding her hind leg off the floor, but it passes. It's as though she does not want to put her toes on the floor. However, she does not scream. It could be your girl has a bit of cramp from a dream she is having and she is screaming with her excitement at her dream, eg., racing/chasing and therefore tensing up as well. Only time I ever get cramp is in bed. This is only a suggestion I am no expert.

Really pleased you have decided to keep her though - they are wonderful animals xx

Alot of greyhounds tend to get cramp but if its happening quite alot its more than worth talking to your vet. There may be an inbalance that is causing it its also known as tying up much the same as in horses. Usually something like potassium or similar suppliment is used but it is always under veterinary recommendation. They usually test the eloctrolyte balance and bloods.

Edited by Lisa73

My mothers greyhound Gracie gets cramp every now and then and you would think she was being murdered , its not the most uncommon thing in the whole world to happen to Greys once in while and there is a scientific reason for it ( but I am stuffed if I can remembered it , bet Claz or someone can ) *

My Saluki x lurcher lad came here 2 years ago from a pound with no real background but potentially he was "worked" at some point , he was very wary of other dogs in the day and every night for weeks work up screaming and barking at things that were not there , once he awoke and saw he was with us he would calm down and go to sleep. Laura at Houndsavers sent me some herbal tincture for him ( along the lines of rescue remedy but more specific ) which helped and over a number of months it stopped gradually and I can't remember when he last did it now

lastly , congratulations and can we see some photos please

* took so long to type this that Lisa came and did the proper explanation ( thankfully as mine was pants )

Molly used to do this sometimes and scream her head off - it was very scarey, though usually she was fine after a minuete or two once I could persuade her to get up and moving. Interestingly, since she started wearing a bioflow collar it's not only helped her arthritis, but she also seems to have stopped getting cramp.

I'd agree with Lisa, though, if it's hapening often Jasmine needs to have some tests done as she may have a mineral imbalance. There are various supplements that are supposed to help, and I've also heard people recommend adding tinned tomatoes to the dog's food, though I've no personal experience of whether this really helps.

Troy does this kind of thing from time to time. It's getting less now, but it does seem to happen more often if he's not had a decent walk (by that I mean at least an hour) for a few days. I have always put it down to cramps (didn't know there was a proper explanation).

All I would say is that in my experience with greys, if they scream and whine like the sky is about to fall in it's not life threatening - if they've done something and don't make a sound, or just a quiet one, it possibly is.

Thank you :flowers: Tying up '(azoturia' in horse terms), does make sense :rolleyes:

I'm adding a pic of Jasmine with Jonah. Jas is the brindle bitch in the background. I've searched through my photo albums and this is the only one I can find where she isn't coated and muzzled :wacko: Trouble is that when she came in we had 3 rescue pups and an obese rough collie here for rehoming and a zillion or so rescue cats so most of the pics at that time are of them!

Anyway, this is her:

fe32154ab67780b6c72e1051d83511d6.JPG

I will try to take some better pics tomorrow because she has definitely blossomed! In fact, our biggest problem now is that we have a 2 year old greyhound puppy :laugh:

All I would say is that in my experience with greys, if they scream and whine like the sky is about to fall in it's not life threatening - if they've done something and don't make a sound, or just a quiet one, it possibly is.

I can't offer any advice on Jasmine I'm afraid, but I agree with the above - my little whippety boy shrieks the place down if he thinks you even *might* be about to tread on his toe :rolleyes:

They are both absolutely beautiful :wub: :wub: