UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Salada Has Had A Fit

elricc

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is up and about, thank you so much for thinking of her, we are all sitting here crying

:GroupHug: I know it is really upsetting and frightening but I had a dog who had her first fit when she was nearly 3 and lived life to the full until she died aged 16 from an unrelated illness. The fits were not the problem I feared at first, though as others have said be careful to make sure she doesn't injure herself. I'm not going to say more than that because your situation may be quite different but please understand that it is not necessarily the end of the world. You are welcome to PM me :GroupHug:

Please keep our lovely girl in your thoughts she has had a fit, please pray there are no repeates .

We called the vet who recommended not bringing her in, she is very sleepy and not back up on her feet yet, she is aware of her name and follows us with her eyes as we cross the room. She is a big girl so I hope she is back up on her feet soon.

We have been told to keep a diary, it may be a one off. She is at the vets on teusday for blood tests on her kidney and liver function.

Has anyone got any advice, we have never had a dog before who fits.

I'm sorry to hear that Salada has been unwell but wanted to reassure you that although I know it looks distressing and I wish I could promise you it wont happen again if it does this is not necessarily the end of the world.

When I was a child we had a German Shepherd named Sheba. She occassionally had a fit - it's just like epilepsy in people. Not a pleasant experience but not necessarily causing any major problem. I'd suggest you just sit with her try to keep her calm and laid safely where no injury can occur and of course don't go sticking your fingers anywhere where you may inadvertently be bitten. Any fit soon passed (you don't say how long Salada has been unable to get up again for but if long I'd get back onto your vet again) It was only minutes before Sheba was up & back to normal again) and she didn't appear to remember anything about it. Sheba seemed to grow out of it as she got older for some reason and lived to the age of 15.

Edited by Ian

As an after thought you didn't say how long Saladas fit had lasted, how long she was unable to get up for or whether the kidney tests were as a result of or planned before the fit (kidney problems can also cause fitting). I should therefore perhaps have said not the end of the worl providing that any fits are not prolonged

Sheba never lasted long and I'd say 10 mins would be bad news and vetinerary help would be needed -there are different opinions from 10-20 minutes quoted by different vets but I'd go for the safe end myself.

The following information might be of help you.

http://www.petz.co.uk/vetontheweb/new/article17.html

Edited by Ian