UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Would The Rspca Do Anything?

bebe

I dont know what to do, but I dont want to just do nothing :unsure:

Next door to Mum they have a lovely looking Border Collie, he doesnt like people going past the fence though and throws himself at at, he,s always knocking the fence down or breaking through it, and barks constantly (he,s out in the garden for hours at a time, whatever the weather :( )

Just now I was in Mums and the dog was barking all the time I was there, around an hour, and when I went out to my car I noticed the fence was still down, its been like it for a while now, so I wondered how the dog was outside barking. I went around the back and peeped over the fence on Mums side, and the dog is on a chain in the garden. Theres no water, no shade and the chain is short, but made even shorter because its caught between the patio slabs on the step :sad02:

The poor dog only has about 2 foot of chain, so is only able to stay in the one place. I knocked on their door (someones in because the back door is wide open) but no-one answered, so I went back around the side and called out, but no-one came out. As soon as I spoke to the dog over the fence he went nuts, straining to try to get to me and barking/growling even more. I really really want to go in there and sort his chain out, but theres a very real risk he,ll bite me.

I stood by the fence and called out to them that the dog is caught, and that they need to come and sort him out, but again no-one took any notice, then suddenly music gets put on in the house very loudly, Im assuming to either drown out the barking or drown out me calling them :angry:

He,s still barking now as Im on here, I dont want to just leave him like that, its bad enough that he,s chained up in a yard as it is, especially a collie of all dogs, he must be out of his mind with boredom and stress, but I dont know what to do? Will the rspca do anything if I call them? I know its not hot so water may not be AS important, but all that barking must make the dog need a drink, and Im angry because the dog is even chained up in the first place! Am I over-reacting? What will happen if I go into the garden to see if I can get near the dog and he bites me, is that putting him at risk of being PTS?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd call them, at the very least you would hope they would have a talk with the owners, i don't think approaching the dog is a very good idea, although i might be inclined to take some photo's of him and keep a record of the times he is out :unsure:

I'd call them, at the very least you would hope they would have a talk with the owners, i don't think approaching the dog is a very good idea, although i might be inclined to take some photo's of him and keep a record of the times he is out :unsure:

Taking photos - and video too if you have that - is a very good idea.

I would definitely call them. They should come out. If they can't come out straight away, it might be worth contacting the dog warden too?

Well done for calling bebe. :flowers: Did you have to leave a statement saying why you were calling and what was wrong with the dog? If the dogs inside now the RSPCA might go around and everything is ok. Might be worth taking photo next time, if you can do it in secret.

Yep, sods law :rolleyes: the dogs not outside now, but the blokey who lives in there was, he was in the middle of putting a note on my car about me parking there in the lane (its a shared lane between the 2 houses, long story but hassle for ages about it)

We had a few words about that, then I said about the dog, and he told me to go forth and multiply. I said the same back to him and said every time I see the dog chained up like that, I,ll make a fuss, and that he doesnt scare me (the bloke, not the dog..he scares me a little :unsure: ) and he said something about I should be (think he meant scared of him, but Im not sure, I didnt quite catch it) and that was that.

Barsteward :angry: I,ll be watching now, and if the rspca dont come today, I,ll call them again tomorrow. Poor dog. :sad02:

edited to add, I,ll be armed with my camera from now on, just incase.

Edited by bebe

My faith has been restored in the RSPCA more recently as the 2 cases I know of they've gone straight for removing the animal(s).Let's home they keep an eye on this situation and decide to do the same.By phoning you've made them aware Bebe which gives the dog the best chance so good for you :flowers:

What does the new dogs act say exactly? there is a collie on the walk we take Dyl on....he's chained up outside a bungalow, I don't know if he goes indoors at bedtime, but whatever time of day and evening you go past he's chained up. He has a kennel and a bowl of water, so he has shelter and water but he barks a lot. Their neighbours are either very tolerant or deaf! I feel so sorry for him, collies of all dogs shouldn't be kept like that, although I know a lot of farm dogs are, or certainly used to be.

My faith has been restored in the RSPCA more recently as the 2 cases I know of they've gone straight for removing the animal(s).Let's home they keep an eye on this situation and decide to do the same.By phoning you've made them aware Bebe which gives the dog the best chance so good for you :flowers:

I asked the person who answered the phone when they would be likely to go there, and she did say today, possibly this evening. Im sceptical though, I remember that man I followed home from the park that time with the dog whose leg looked broken, and the rspca didnt go there for over a week. I only found that out because I just kept on and on and on calling them :rolleyes: