UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Underdog Show

boosboss

Selina and Chump were great too but that Huey?? if I'd been the judge he was so rude to, I'd have demanded he be thrown off the programme. I think Caspar would have done far better with someone like Julia or Selina, Huey was making himself the focus by acting the fool and banking on everyone going *ah, isn't Caspar sweet?* to cover the fact he'd made very little effort with him. Going by some of the remarks on here, it worked a treat.

I totally agree.

No effort made at all - just excuses.

Huey was over sentimental and downright obnoxious to the judges. He needs to grow up and take responsibility for his actions - or rather lack of them in the training department. (It takes a lot for me to be on PP's side, but Huey managed it.) If he wasn't prepared to take the slightest bit of advice he should never have agreed to be on the show.

The others showed what can be done with rescue dogs. Huey didn't.

Casper may have his limitations but he was never given a chance to show what he could do rather than what he couldn't.

He spoilt what should have been a positive show.

"Isn't he sweet - he can't do anything because he's been abused" just isn't good enough.

And yes, I do know what it's like to have a badly treated, shut down, mental mess of a dog, far worse than Casper seemed at the beginning.

I don't know about Kay offering free training for anyone taking on Chump. I'd like to see her train Huey. She is an educator of people as well as dogs after all.

Pam

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Huey didn't say that Casper wouldn't be able to do the things that the rest of the dogs did, just that it would take longer.

Casper was a dog that they couldn't even stroke without getting bitten at the beginning. Whether he was the right dog to put forward for this show I don't know. Whether Huey was the right person I don't know. But the bond between the 2 of them was incredible, especially when Casper greeted Huey. I think he was quite upset that he couldn't adopt Casper.

I think that some of his rudness was bourne out of frustration that the judges just didn't get how far Casper had come in the short time that they had in training. He did seem to have the backing of his trainer as well on that point.

But Huey didn't say that Casper wouldn't be able to do the things that the rest of the dogs did, just that it would take longer.

Casper was a dog that they couldn't even stroke without getting bitten at the beginning. Whether he was the right dog to put forward for this show I don't know. Whether Huey was the right person I don't know. But the bond between the 2 of them was incredible, especially when Casper greeted Huey. I think he was quite upset that he couldn't adopt Casper.

I think that some of his rudness was bourne out of frustration that the judges just didn't get how far Casper had come in the short time that they had in training. He did seem to have the backing of his trainer as well on that point.

Well said :flowers:

TBH, I again found Huey very rude. Perhaps the judges did expect too much however it was perfectly feasible for Huey & Casper to have done 'something' based on Casper instead of singing a song :mellow: why not show how they could play together or repeat some of the training they had done previously.

I was glad Chump won but would have been equally happy to see Cookie win and was frustrated that she wasn't in the last two.

I thought Cookie should have stayed in...Julia did so well, after starting being afraid of dogs she picked the breed which you would have least expected given the bad publicity recently, and formed a wonderful bond with her. Selina and Chump were great too but that Huey?? if I'd been the judge he was so rude to, I'd have demanded he be thrown off the programme. I think Caspar would have done far better with someone like Julia or Selina, Huey was making himself the focus by acting the fool and banking on everyone going *ah, isn't Caspar sweet?* to cover the fact he'd made very little effort with him. Going by some of the remarks on here, it worked a treat. Lets hope they all get good homes now, it'll be so sad for them to be put back into kennels after being the focus of so much attention recently.

I agree. Cookie should have won. I thought Selina was great with Chump. I thought Huey was childish and self-centred. Poor Caspar may have bonded with him on some level, but the poor dog obviously didn't know what the hell was going on. I'm no expert on dog training, but that poor little soul looked so confused half the time. I thought it was heart-breaking. I assume Huey needs the air-time, but if he had no intention of playing by the rules he should have stayed away. I found his efforts embarrassing last night, to be honest; I cringed as he sang.

What I did like about the series was that rescue dogs have been given good publicity. I hope people realise that a) they can get a lovely dog from rescue - although I wish more time had been spent on showing a variety of different dogs each week and b) that dogs can, and should, be trained.

It was sad that Julia couldn't home Cookie. I hope they all find great homes, and soon.

I think Huey knew they didn't stand a chance of winning, so he cut his losses.

As for Casper, he has come a tremendously long way in the past few weeks and, to be fair to Donna the trainer, I understand she had less time for initial training than the others.

I'm not sticking up for Huey's couldn't care less attitude last night, but Peter Purves annoyed me. The world of rescue is a million miles away from Crufts.

I think Casper could have learned a lot more if Huey had been firmer and clearer. Dogs need to know what they're expected to do.

Casper reminds me of one of my special dogs and no doubt is like a lot of the dogs on here. I know we need to look to their future, not to their past, but I think Casper deserves credit for the journey he has made so far.

I hope his trainer adopts him.

I think Casper could have learned a lot more if Huey had been firmer and clearer. Dogs need to know what they're expected to do.

Casper reminds me of one of my special dogs and no doubt is like a lot of the dogs on here. I know we need to look to their future, not to their past, but I think Casper deserves credit for the journey he has made so far.

I hope his trainer adopts him.

Couldn't agree more. :biggrin: It would be lovely if Donna took him on.

I wanted Cookie to win, but was happy that Chump did.

TBH, I again found Huey very rude. Perhaps the judges did expect too much however it was perfectly feasible for Huey & Casper to have done 'something' based on Casper instead of singing a song :mellow: why not show how they could play together or repeat some of the training they had done previously.

I was glad Chump won but would have been equally happy to see Cookie win and was frustrated that she wasn't in the last two.

I agree with all you say San :flowers:

There is no excuse for the level of rudeness that Huey exhibited. I thought he was dreadful :(

Marion

Although I think Huey genuinely loved Casper, I do think he let him down. Yes, he was right to say that he didn't want to rush him but throughout the whole show he constantly failed to give Casper concise commands and acted up for for the audiance far too much. He seemed to think that follwing the training was a bit above him, IMO.

Also, don't assume that the bond you saw is down to Huey doing anything special, in my experience anyone who walks/pays attention to/spends time with a dog that is in kennels would get the same happy response

Huey was over sentimental and downright obnoxious to the judges. He needs to grow up and take responsibility for his actions - or rather lack of them in the training department. (It takes a lot for me to be on PP's side, but Huey managed it.) If he wasn't prepared to take the slightest bit of advice he should never have agreed to be on the show.

The others showed what can be done with rescue dogs. Huey didn't.

Casper may have his limitations but he was never given a chance to show what he could do rather than what he couldn't.

He spoilt what should have been a positive show.

"Isn't he sweet - he can't do anything because he's been abused" just isn't good enough.

And yes, I do know what it's like to have a badly treated, shut down, mental mess of a dog, far worse than Casper seemed at the beginning.

I don't know about Kay offering free training for anyone taking on Chump. I'd like to see her train Huey. She is an educator of people as well as dogs after all.

Pam

Erm, I think you will find that the judges were rude and disparaging in the first place to Huey.

BTW there is a difference between a dog that has been badly treated and one that has been abused.

Erm, I think you will find that the judges were rude and disparaging in the first place to Huey.

Not at all.

They were there to comment on the training and performance which were pathetic in his case.

Everything they said was justified and I think they were pretty restrained.

Pam