UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Good Golli

raiye

exactly why are you looking for a really nice present for your OH for his birthday

and which of you likes Cliff Richard

He's decided he wants a shotgun for his clay pigeon shooting.

In all fairness to him, I am hard to buy for, he did his best with the teddy.

The teddy is not offensive, it's just his little bag that he comes in that says Cliff Richard collection.

He thought it would be cool as it was white.

Back on topic, thanks for that site Dee!

I have a black bear holding a hunter in his paws (the hunter is broken) I bought in Toronto years ago.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm yes that was your fault. :laugh:

Or nougatti's :laugh:

Gollies are great. back on track... I found this potted history of Gollies. I never knew of florence upton books. off to goggle them now :)

Gollies

Wow look what i found... seems the original name had nothing at all to do with colour but in fact the dutch language.

Also interesting to read that it is surmised (though not proven apparently) that the first gollies were made for black children in the american communities - therefore having a black doll would be perfectly normal and our equivalent of a rag doll, not with any rascist undertones at all.

Thus ends today's history lesson, children :flowers:

:laugh: I too was googling

Did you see the Florence Upton prints you can get

Your Golli collection may have to branch out into books and prints as well :biggrin:

The teddy is not offensive, it's just his little bag that he comes in that says Cliff Richard collection.

He thought it would be cool as it was white.

MMMMM OK :laugh:

I have a black bear holding a hunter in his paws (the hunter is broken) I bought in Toronto years ago.

That sounds nice

I had a Gollie doll when i was wee, and i never once thought it was supposed to be a black person, but then i never knew there was such a thing as Catholics and Protestants till i was 12 :unsure: i may be a bit fick :huh:

I think that's the lovely thing about kids, they simply don't recognise anyone/thing is different. It's us adults who muddy the water. :wacko:

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, are people saying that mocking someone because they're ginger or freckly is the same as calling people black b******s??

Is there a history of ginger people being opressed by slavery and discrimination? Have they had to fight for equal rights?

I'm not sure if you're saying it was that Mercer guys defense or if people are making the observation themselves. Far too tired to make any sense of it :rolleyes: :laugh:

Most ginger people I've met (and there have been lots, ask Nougatti) argue a good case though

Tis true (and SB has not yet met me) but an American manager in a large (massive) multinational I once worked in sent an email once asking people to reference me for something and primarily described me as having "the tall girl with flaming red hair"

Edited by nouggatti

There is a stall at our local Bear collectors fair that sells Gollies and Gollies alone... I always admire them...

Wierdly they're the only dolls i played with as a child. Any other sort made my flesh crawl, particularly the tiny tears... still do. Evil personified, especially the ones that cry and wee. yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk

I loved gollies and teddies (I also had a mickey mouse one which I still have --- he's now at that age where he'll never see 40 again :rolleyes: ), but I was given a large doll as a child (when iI was about 7) that walked and talked and I hated her as she freaked me out

A little hardware and bits and bobs shop here in Bromyard got raided last year for having 3 gollies in their shop window. The gollies were siezed but subsequently it was decided there was no case to answer and the gollies were returned. The furore was amazing it made the national papers, tv etc. there were petitions flying about to free the Bromyard 3 etc. It has been the making of the shop, people came from all over the country to support them. You wouldn't know the shop today, they have had a complete make-over and sell every gollie related item you could want. They have mugs (I have one :rolleyes: ) with the Bromyard 3 gollies on, money boxes, gollies in all shapes and sizes. They have now also changed their name to Pettifers Original Gollywog Shop and are busier than they have ever been.

Are you really me ? :laugh:

I hate dolls, nasty, creepy things, nearly as bad as clowns

Gollies and Teddies are luvverly

Holds hand up - this is me too. Clowns in particular terrify me!

Edited by Katie

I collect collectable teddies and such like and have wanted a Gollie for a while - ever since I had all my tokens taken from me as a 6 year old 22 years ago in fact! Ah well. I would hate for the police to come and seize them. :wink:

I have a Cliff Richard bear; in fact I have two as I could not choose between them. I didn't realise they were Cliff Richard endorsed bears until the shop assistant brought out the purple bags and by then it was too late to change my mind as I had fallen in love with the bears. they are gorgeous and worth a fair bit so DO NOT be shooting pellets at the white one. He'll be worth a few bob in a few years. They go for 100s on ebay. I just ignore the signature and refer to them as : Gund Special Collection Bears. Which they are. Why does Sir Cliff have to tarnish so much we love....including bears and Wuthering Heights. Evil man. :laugh: