UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Good Golli

raiye

T you have an Oirish accent, that is your normal one I don't know why you think otherwise!!

You've got to hear a heavy Cork or Kerry accent pmsl, which is a really really heavy Oirish accent lol hence my question. I was wondering if you were mentally modifying my accent into a kerry/cork one *shudder*

Edited by nouggatti

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to discuss it and explore it to show how barbaric our treatment of our fellow human beings was, and why and how it should never happen again.

But it's still happening today,it never really stopped.Mauritania was the last country to abolish slavery - in 1981 but still people are being kept there as slaves today.Blacks being sold and kept enslaved by blacks,women being held as sex slaves,children of all colours being forced to work in factories for next to nothing having been sold by their families for food.Rather than continuing to look back 200 years and what happened then who is working to stop this now :(

I think slavery still exists in this country to an extent.The amount of women being brought over as illegal immigrants and being forced to work in the sex industry is shocking.No good pretending it only happens in other countries,it is happening right here,right under our noses :( And even more sadly it's happening with children too.

I never knew that... but I googled :)

CASMAS

Unbluddybelievable. This sort of thing should not exist today.

However, I'm not convinced there is racism involved, either in the slavery here or abroad (in current times I mean not 200 years ago).

Centuries ago it was clear the only reason that we took slaves was because we were white and therefore superior. In today's society it appears to be more class related rather than colour?

My cousin lived in Mombassa (sp?) for a few years while her Husband managed a hotel there. She had a black house-keeper and nanny, a black gardener, even a black driver, not to mention kitchen staff and pool-keeper, one of the young kitchen staff was only 13.

Yet my cousin used to go on "food-runs" once a week, taking food to poorer villages, collecting necklaces and stuff the villagers had made and sending them over here for her sister to sell. She was always going on about how much she did for the poor, in every letter she wrote to her Family here she mentioned "those poor poor kids", it all seemed very hypocritical to me, and when I asked her if she didnt think she was one of the people exploiting these poor poor kids, she said No, because they are "greatfull for the work" and by her employing them, shes directly helping them to "feel good about themselves".

Im sure a 13 year old girl feels good about being stuck in a kitchen all day and night, washing dishes and running around clearing up after a white person and seeing my cousins children, who are the same age, enjoying a life of luxury riding their ponies and having pool-parties with their equally snobby friends :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Tricky one that Bebe.... my mum lived in SA for a few years waayyyyyyy back in the late 60s. She had a houseboy, and a 'lady who does' who between them pretty much covered cooking, cleaning and gardening and fixing stuff.

Whats fair? No i suppose the 13 year old, like my mums 15 year old houseboy, would have preferred to be riding around on ponies, etc.... but that wasnt an option.

Would they have prefered to earn nothing whilst someone else did a job they could and would willingly do?

My mum and her then husband didnt need a houseboy or a cook, but as new people moving in they inherited the staff from the previous tenant, and were inundated with people offering to work for them. The wages they were paid were good for the work they did. I know my mums houseboy, John, would also ask to read my mum and her partners books whenever he had time off, which of course he was welcome to - an opportunity he wouldnt have had otherwise.

I personally wouldnt feel comfortable in the same situation with 'staff' but then i wouldnt feel comfortable living here in the UK and having staff.

People do though, and i dont think the thousands of 'ladies who do' feel used, do they?

People do though, and i dont think the thousands of 'ladies who do' feel used, do they?

Just to answer this one, as I am a 'lady who does' or a 'treasure' or a 'cleaner' depending on who you speak to :biggrin: and that's the whole point - it's attitude that makes the difference as to whether I feel used or not. Some people I clean for treat me as an employee, and that's fine. Some treat me as a friend, which can also be fine. Some though, treat me as a sub species, with no intellect or feelings, and that obviously is NOT fine!

I pointed out to one woman once that I was in fact a trained nurse, a trustee of a charity, ran my own small business and kept house - and she really looked as me as if the fact that I could read was a total revelation to her! :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, it's the ones who are rudest that pay the most - they think that money entitles them to walk all over you physically and mentally. I don't stay working for them for long!