UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Good Golli

raiye

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I collect collectable teddies and such like and have wanted a Gollie for a while - ever since I had all my tokens taken from me as a 6 year old 22 years ago in fact! Ah well. I would hate for the police to come and seize them. :wink:

I have a Cliff Richard bear; in fact I have two as I could not choose between them. I didn't realise they were Cliff Richard endorsed bears until the shop assistant brought out the purple bags and by then it was too late to change my mind as I had fallen in love with the bears. they are gorgeous and worth a fair bit so DO NOT be shooting pellets at the white one. He'll be worth a few bob in a few years. They go for 100s on ebay. I just ignore the signature and refer to them as : Gund Special Collection Bears. Which they are. Why does Sir Cliff have to tarnish so much we love....including bears and Wuthering Heights. Evil man. :laugh:

Oh he's safe in his little bag, I think his bag was brown tho, not too sure lol

It's about four years old, must dig it out and see what it is :)

Police have siezed a collection of Golli dolls from a toy and dolls collectors shop in Wigan today.

Its being treated as a rascist crime.

Are we still at a point in our civilisation where such things are seen as offensive?

When she was 3, my wee sister was taken to see Santa in Glasgow. One of Santa's elves - a middle aged lady - was standing by with gender-appropriate toys ( :rolleyes: ) wrapped up. She handed a parcel to Penny who opened it to find - a golly. Penny screamed and dropped it. Cue one very embarrassed elf, spluttering about how sorry she was, and she didn't mean anything by it, and she never noticed people's skin colour herself, etc etc....

Mum explained it was nothing personal - Penny, in common with thousands of little girls, just didn't like gollies.

We still laugh about it now. Here's Penny...she'll be mortified that I've posted her on the internet, but what the heck - it's big sister's privilege. :laugh:

PennyYork1.jpg

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, are people saying that mocking someone because they're ginger or freckly is the same as calling people black b******s??

Is there a history of ginger people being opressed by slavery and discrimination? Have they had to fight for equal rights?

I'm not sure if you're saying it was that Mercer guys defense or if people are making the observation themselves. Far too tired to make any sense of it :rolleyes: :laugh:

It was the Mercer guy

Tis true (and SB has not yet met me) but an American manager in a large (massive) multinational I once worked in sent an email once asking people to reference me for something and primarily described me as having "the tall girl with flaming red hair"

It could have been worse :biggrin:

I loved gollies and teddies (I also had a mickey mouse one which I still have --- he's now at that age where he'll never see 40 again :rolleyes: ), but I was given a large doll as a child (when iI was about 7) that walked and talked and I hated her as she freaked me out

My beloved parents bought me TWO of the damned things, one with long dark hair and one with red curly hair. They were both horrid things. Mum kept both of them up to a few years ago, periodically asking if I wanted them ..........NO !!!!

A little hardware and bits and bobs shop here in Bromyard got raided last year for having 3 gollies in their shop window. The gollies were siezed but subsequently it was decided there was no case to answer and the gollies were returned. The furore was amazing it made the national papers, tv etc. there were petitions flying about to free the Bromyard 3 etc. It has been the making of the shop, people came from all over the country to support them. You wouldn't know the shop today, they have had a complete make-over and sell every gollie related item you could want. They have mugs (I have one :rolleyes: ) with the Bromyard 3 gollies on, money boxes, gollies in all shapes and sizes. They have now also changed their name to Pettifers Original Gollywog Shop and are busier than they have ever been.

SB - don't you fancy a trip to Bromyard :laugh:

Holds hand up - this is me too. Clowns in particular terrify me!

See, there are loads of us, we aren't barmy

So .................. if anyone manages to find some Gollie things for DNB fundraising there should be a fierce bidding war then :biggrin:

SB - don't you fancy a trip to Bromyard :laugh:

See, there are loads of us, we aren't barmy

So .................. if anyone manages to find some Gollie things for DNB fundraising there should be a fierce bidding war then :biggrin:

Yes, yes and yes :laugh:

[will admit here and only here that clowns do not scare me but Donald Duck does :blush02:]

that is strange :rolleyes: is it people dressed in donald duck costumes you don't like or is it the one in the cartoon

Either... not that I come across people dressed in donald duck costumes that often nor will you find me running screaming out of a shop if a toy one happens to be in there but you certainly won't catch me buying one, holding one or letting one in the home. Stuff of nightmares. :wacko:

Either... not that I come across people dressed in donald duck costumes that often nor will you find me running screaming out of a shop if a toy one happens to be in there but you certainly won't catch me buying one, holding one or letting one in the home. Stuff of nightmares. :wacko:

But the new hosts initiation ceremony involves a donald duck costume and doll :unsure: Di told me in secret so I thought I'd better warn you :D T'is only fair.