UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Thoughts On Cruft's Winner

Sillymooo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know nowt about showing either but to me the Tibetan (although not a dog i would personnaly want) had the X factor, he just seemed to move with that extra bit of chutzpa, i would have liked to see the Malamute win but he was a bit dull.

Why aren't dogs allowed to move as nature intended in the ring? i know it shows of their gait to get them to trot but a lot of the dogs were strung up when you could clearly see that they should be (i don't quite know how to word it)sort of going forward more, more of a head down, level with their back, would holding them up like that not affect the way their shoulders move ?

and it really hacks me off when you see wee dogs being lifted by their head and tail :angry:

Fantastic night - Mary Ray was outstanding as usual.

did you think so? maybe it was better 'in the flesh' but on telly it looked boring and repetitive (mind you, the bbc's camera-work was appalling - they kept doing wide angle shots and you could hardly make out what was going on.)

i watched the international freestyle comp yesterday at crufts and some of the routines were much more entertaining. it's a shame cos i really look forward to seeing mary ray each year but i was disappointed this time. tbh, i think as she's been doing it a long time she's getting to the point where she's running out of ideas and she's lacking the vitality and freshness that some of the other htm competitors have.

can't comment on the bis winner as i haven't a clue about showing dogs and i'm afraid no amount of drawing yellow triangles, circles and lines will help me :wacko:

they all looked nice dogs but i thought a couple of the handlers were a bit rough with some of them.

I agree , the camera work was absolutely appalling. When they did manage to go to the actual display, they often cut off a third of the team (Mary herself) which I'm sure led to the overall impression that the performance wasn't the usual dazzling display we are used to seeing.

Regardless, Mary deserves a lot of praise for the huge effort she puts into the event. Two dogs, big arena, lots of lights (as we saw :) ). Couple that with the expectations we all now have and it doesn't take much to realise that it takes a brave lady to put herself under that amount of pressure.

The BIS was, I believe, the BIS. Lovely dog.

I loved Bertha the Bloodhound but then I am biased :rolleyes: I do know the owner and she has had some absolutely sound, beautiful hounds and usually sweeps the board at the shows.

It was nice to see her in the final line up but in a way I am pleased she didn't win as loads of the wrong kind of people would want one and we all know what that means. We have seen it happen with so many other breeds after winning at Crufts, they become 'flavour of the month' and then the problems start :angry:

Predictable - hmmmm, maybe, i dont know. Is it fair to say its predictable when a really clearly good dog wins?

Fabulous Willy is a good dog, hes ALWAYS been a good dog and 2 years ago, he was a good but somewhat immature dog.

Now hes great, hes mature and he has the confidence that shows through in the ring. Of the dogs there for BIS, Willy was for me the only one who was not only happy and confident, he actually ENJOYED what he was doing.

I was suprised the maltese didnt take reserve but also not surprised that the terrier did...

Moans? Id like to see this dogs strutting their stuff on a looser lead tbh, if its THAT good then you shouldnt need to hoik its front paws off the floor to make it look like its really striding out.

General moan - i have NEVER before noticed so much holding of chunks of dogs faces as the judges are going over them - show dogs are supposed to have impeccable temperaments - yes, of all the shows (bearing in mind that in real terms crufts is just a show its actually NOT more special than any other Champ show), Crufts is a very very long day with more than the usual amount of hassle, so dogs are more likely to be a bit knackered...... even so, do they have to be held like that, are they all going to bite the judges hand off? Do they all hate being gone over THAT much?

Odd.

I wasn't keen on Mary Ray's performance either but as has been said the camera work was just bl**dy silly, she was either a speck in the distance or too close to make out what was going on.

Please will someone have Ben Fogle PTS before next year, his trivialising (is that a word?) comments are just damn silly!

I wanted the Maltese to win but would also agree with the comment about showing on a loose lead, would be interesting to see some of the performances then. :biggrin:

I thought Fabulous Willy deserved his win, though I liked the Maltese too. I agree that Zena is a very unbiased judge but I could be biased myself...she gave our dobes firsts and reserve Best of Breed about...ooer...17 years ago!

I used to show papillons and I always showed on a loose lead, I didn't notice the dogs carried their heads any lower than those shown stringed, but it did let them get all four feet on the floor.

Wasn't bothered that the TT won, really didn't like the Maltese or Maramute (but then I'm not fond of either breed) would of loved the Blood hound to win, but knowing nothing about showing it was just because she was beautiful and comical, and I liked the owner when she was interviewed!! Liked the flat coat but it didn't really grab me as anything special.

Hate heel work to music anyway so watched BBC1 while that was on!! :biggrin: Ben Fogal needs putting out to pasture but liked the woman (sorry don't know who she is but liked her!!). Always liked the Blue Peter bloke, think next year he should be the main one.

did you think so? maybe it was better 'in the flesh' but on telly it looked boring and repetitive (mind you, the bbc's camera-work was appalling - they kept doing wide angle shots and you could hardly make out what was going on.)

i watched the international freestyle comp yesterday at crufts and some of the routines were much more entertaining. it's a shame cos i really look forward to seeing mary ray each year but i was disappointed this time. tbh, i think as she's been doing it a long time she's getting to the point where she's running out of ideas and she's lacking the vitality and freshness that some of the other htm competitors have.

When you consider just 2 weeks ago the BBC decided to cut some of her routine time, and she had to rework it to suit - then the BBC decided she couldn't use the prop she wanted - so had to rework it. One of the dogs went lame while rampaging through the woods, so she stopped working him - and for the week in the run up to Crufts she has been training like mad with the Blue Merle lad to get him ready for Crufts, and he is only 16mths old and never been before a crowd like that....

As of 2 weeks ago, Mary & Dave didn't know if there was still going to be a routine.

Yes, it was much better in the flesh. I watched it again on tv when I got home, and I could see why people would be a bit disappointed.

Watched the International Freestyle on Saturday. That was fab. Hardly a dry eye in the crowd after the 'Titanic' performance. Donalda Guy was brilliant too - but then I love watching her work. I think all the Top 4 were great.

On the Crufts coverage, I do wish they would replace Ben Fogle - preferably with a stuffed toy - that would have more charisma, personality and speach capability.

Another vote for the bloodhound here too. I am glad it did not win though as I do wonder if there is a demand if they will start to be puppy farmed.

I was pleased the spinone did not get through to the best of show for the same reason.

I must say that there are very few pedigree dogs I like the look of so the chance of me liking what wins is so slim. I did like the Malatute as well.

Edited by one.eyed.dog