UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Please Welcome Erwine

sproggie14

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Behave :laugh:

We've just settled him in the crate downstairs and come up to bed so waiting to see how he copes. Sounds mean leaving him down there but I wonder if we have made the mistake of building too close a relationship too soon with some of these types in the past which is how Tessie Doo has ended up a bit obsessed with me and having SA. Just a thought but I thought we'd take a step back with him and see if it helps him adjust more independently (and us not to fall too much in love!!)

Sorry :flowers: (but you don't have one that colour yet, he'd match the set perfectly :laugh:

I would think if he's been alone most of the time then SA, hopefully, won't be an issue. I wonder if he'll have more issues trying to let people in his "space"?

God he's adorable.

He is finding things a little odd. He has been panting a lot and I thought to myself, How can he be hot with such a naff coat and no meat on him. Then I realised he is used to sleeping outside so it is probably quite hot in here in comparison. He keeps going to the bunny house, I'm sure he thinks that is where he is supposed to sleep. We have a little work to do to teach him that leg cocking is for outside only but he's a clever lad, I dont think that will take too long.

I would think if he's been alone most of the time then SA, hopefully, won't be an issue. I wonder if he'll have more issues trying to let people in his "space"?

God he's adorable.

You'd think, but Tess was chained up in a barn and beaten and she has terrible SA. When she arrived she was simultaneously terrified of us and desperate not to be away from us. I dunno, I'm no doggie psychologist, who knows how there little minds work sometimes :wacko:

Aww Erwine you are a little poppet, so glad you have found an angel to look after you.

As for SA, I think you are right to keep a tiny distance for now, the fact the poor chap has spent so long alone means he will bond even more with a kind and loving carer, the dogs I have fostered with the worst SA have been the ones who have had a bad time of it in their past life.

Bless you for taking in this lovely dog, I am sure he will come on leaps and bounds in your care:love:

Erwine did great overnight :biggrin:

He settled immediately and then woke us up with a few polite woofs about 4 o'clock. He stopped as soon as we called down to say we were on our way and then went in to the garden where the poor lad had diarrhoea - to be expected I guess. He seems brighter this morning but more wary of us so I guess he's coming through the fog a bit poor boy. It must all be so very confusing for him. We're off to the vets with him imminently to get his various physical woes checked out :)

Awww so glad he has come to you :flowers: I wonder if he was loved for a bit and a house dog then ended up outside when he got bigger?

I can't even begin to express what I feel to think they have been kept in a shed like that. :( Did the owners say he had been there for 8 years? did they say why?

Imagine going in a few times a week to feed him and tara and seeing their waggy excited bodies then walking out and leaving them. Unbelievable.

Edited by border collie

Awww so glad he has come to you :flowers: I wonder if he was loved for a bit and a house dog then ended up outside when he got bigger?

I can't even begin to express what I feel to think they have been kept in a shed like that. :( Did the owners say he had been there for 8 years? did they say why?

Imagine going in a few times a week to feed him and tara and seeing their waggy excited bodies then walking out and leaving them. Unbelievable.

I think he was on a farm or small holding type thing...not sure that's just the impression I had. He came via Astrid so perhaps if she pops on she can provide some more background. Apparently the owners kept them in the shed as their neighbours had threatened to shoot them :unsure:

Anyhoo we are back from the vets. As suspected he does have kennel cough so he has a course of antibiotics. However his glands are absolutely enormous and the vet is concerned that there is something else going on :( That had crossed my mind too as he is just so weak and thin :mecry: So he has to have his antibiotics and then if his glands are still up they will investigate further to see what is going on. It could just be that his condition is so poor that his body is reacting badly to the kennel cough. He was also vaccinated recently so perhaps his immune system is struggling to cope :(

Will keep you posted anyway