UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Happy First Gotcha Day Bear

dirtychicken

Well this time last year I was 2 hours away from collecting my handsome fat collie :wub:

I'm sure you've all heard his story before and are bored to tears but, because it's his special day, I'm going to tell you again :D

Bear (then Toby) had lived with his family in Ireland for 10 years. When he was 10 they found that he chased chickens and dumped him at kennels with instructions for him to be put to sleep :mecry:

Fortunately for Bear/Toby (and me!), the wonderful Mary was informed of his situation and she vowed to help him. He had to stay in those kennels for his months as his family had ordered his destruction but not signed him over :worried_anim:

When his time there was done, Hope brought him over and held him at the lovely Clare's kennels. The Oldies Club then stepped in and arranged for him to go into foster for them. I organised his transport run to his foster home but, after Birgit (who was doing her first ever transport run!!) had collected him from Clare, his foster home pulled out of having him :yikes: Cindy hurriedly arranged a new foster home for him - their first foster and agreed to drive all the way from Reading to Bath with 5 minutes notice to collect him :wub:

As I was already doing a transport run from Bristol to Bath that morning, I agreed to get to my meeting place early, collect Bear/Toby and hold him until my later transportee arrived, then take them both to Bath. Very lovely Sian - the first time I'd got to meet her in person! - delivered this incredibly large, hairy, sad looking collie boy to me and I think she will vouch for the fact that I melted the second I laid eyes on him :rolleyes:

As soon as Sian left, I phoned Cindy and told her that I'd fallen in love but I needed to know whether he was cat friendly before I could 100% commit to taking him. My son, Bailey and I spent 2 hours in the boy's company and we were all utterly smitten. Bailey took to him as if they'd always been together.

Eventually, I drove him to Bath and handed him over to his foster mum - then cried all the way back to the motorway!!!!! That was at 1.30 in the afternoon. By 8pm, Clare had confirmed to me that he had proven cat friendly at the kennels and by 9am the following morning I had gotten a *very* hungover Cindy to confirm that he was mine :yippee: She was also wonderful enough to arrange to collect him the following evening and bring him all the way back to me at the very same Bath meeting place :wub:

I now know how lucky I am to have Bear as the very lovely man that drove Bear over from Ireland had fallen in love with him; his foster mum had said that if he'd stayed much longer than the 2 whole days she had him for she'd have failed; and even Cindy threatened to not hand him over as she loved him too :o

It feels as if Bear has always been here and I honestly cannot remember how life was before his arrival. Somebody forgot to tell him that he is meant to be a dignified 11 year old and he likes to cause as much mischief as he can possibly get away with :devil: but he has enriched our lives so much I cannot even begin to tell you. All I can say is a huge THANK YOU to everybody involved in getting my boy to me and I would not be without him for the world. His muzzle has just started to grey that bit more and it makes me sad to think that he is getting old - it has always been hard to think of him as "old" :( But he will continue to be adored until his last breath because he is such a special dog. Fate definitely brought us together that day :wub:

First night at home

WaitingonCats.jpg

My handsome boy :love:

BeachBear2.jpg

Duvet.jpg

HoundRoach.jpg

OMG.jpg

MyBabies.jpg

Ahem.jpg

Cuddled on Mummy's lap this morning

BearGotcha.jpg

I cannot thank Cindy and the Oldies Club enough for letting me have Bear. I just love him so much :wub:

:partytime: Happy First Gotcha Day Bear :partytime: I hope there are many more to come :wub: :wub:

Funny you forgott to mention the 117 phone calls I had on said day telling me 'Pleeeeeeeease can we adopt him', no wonder I took to the bottle :laugh: :laugh:

Thank you, Bailey, Sophie and Jacob for giving our boy a fantastic forever home. :flowers:

Cindy :biggrin: