UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Attitudes

cheryl33

This isnt aimed at anyone in particular but I was pondering about it tonight. How do you cope/react/deal with people who, well, have a completely snotty holier-than-thou attitude, whether it be in real life or on a forum?

I was always brought up to treat people how I would want to be treated and it annoys me when people talk down to me. I just tend to bite my tongue to stop me saying something.

it has happened a few times in my new job as there seems to be a class divide thing if you know what I mean?

What do you do?

I usually ask a lot of questions (assuming it's something interesting). People rarely stick to a condescending attitude if they think you are really interested in what they have to say and want to learn.

The other thing is that if the boot is on the other foot and you are the one who knows a lot about a particular subject, it can be bloody hard to work out what the other person already knows and get the tone right, particularly in a text medium. :dry:

I have very occasionally had people take offence at me asking questions to try to solve a genuine problem, because the tone of the question came over wrong and they think it was sarcastic. :rolleyes:

On the whole, I'd rather have something overexplained or go over basics yet again, than have someone assume I know stuff that actually, I don't really know all that well, and be left flattered but confused.

On the other hand, I have been working with someone who insists on sending emails, and is really, really bad at communicating tone in them. I now have 3 clients who are deeply pissed off with him and have asked that I make sure they never have to communicate with him directly ever again. He's not deliberately rude, and he is extremely clever - he's just a bit - nonfunctional- when it comes to emails. I used to talk to him via text messenger a lot, but I stopped that and started phoning instead because I found myself so undermined by his (entirely unintended) rudeness when using text that I was actually unable to work because it was so depressing.

Of course, if it's someone who doesn't actually have interesting knowledge but is just being an arse, ignoring them is all you CAN do! :bootyshake: :laugh:

not sure how you deal with them but I

either ignore them completely

kill them with kindness

or treat them how they treat me, only with more sarcasm and condescention (depending on how far up my nose they get)

when did this start Cheryl, is it recently??

the same thing happens here, some of our clients won't beleive the girls answers on the phone but will accept it from a man (just shows that chauvanistic people are still around)

N.

I've started a new job and there are some real jumped up so and so's there. Really quite shocking. I won't stand for it I'm afraid so will end up with a reputation. I've already put 2 of them in their place :laugh: One of my catch phrases is we all come on this earth the same way and go out the same way. No-one is any better than anyone else.

My Dad always told us 'Never look up to anyone, never look down on anyone, just look them in the eye and treat them with the respect you want from them'.

In my work I came across 'snobbishness' many times and just ignored it, I always found that people who were secure in themselves were never ever nasty just the insecure creeps. :)

Where you live, how much your income is, how you speak and dress are all things personal to you and should never be the reason for someone treating you badly.

On another forum I visit, someone thinks they are an 'expert' on my breed. :rolleyes: Maybe they are, maybe they're not. It's irrelevant. I haven't yet posted on that forum asking for help but it's always offered :laugh:

I always say, 'thank you very much, I've considered that and have taken xxxxx action already but your contribution is very much appreciated' :laugh:

Well, what else can I say, other than the very rude things that come to mind immediately I read that person's posts :wacko:

I think it is hard to compare real life with a forum. If you are face to face with someone you can get a better idea of their intentions, tone of voice etc. On a forum you can't always tell what people are or are not inferring. It is easier to get offended or annoyed and often it usually boils down to the fact that the reader has misinterpretted the intentions of the poster.

I think it is hard to compare real life with a forum. If you are face to face with someone you can get a better idea of their intentions, tone of voice etc. On a forum you can't always tell what people are or are not inferring. It is easier to get offended or annoyed and often it usually boils down to the fact that the reader has misinterpretted the intentions of the poster.

I think that using forums have made me understand how much I read peoples body language / listen to tone of voice when I speak to people verbally

it is very easy to misread things on forums and I reckon I have done it loads of times