UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I'm working on it, the forecast is good for Saturday so I'll get Jayne to take her camera with us to the yard so you can see my boys. Will seems to have grown again - I suddenly realised when I went from grooming him to grooming Apple - there is a heck of a difference between them now!!!

Got a good telling off from my RI last night after she read my test sheets, the one thing there is no excuse for apparantly is lack of accuracy on a 20m circle :blush02: which has been commented on all my tests. She spent the whole lesson shouting "and there goes another mark" :laugh: So my goal for Sunday is to a. not fall off, and b. to get my circles accurate.

:biggrin: Been there and done that, 'circles are not square' bawls my instructor! Serpentines anyone? :wacko:

My niece is even worse, I had to make some big spots out of dayglow fabric and put them on the four touch points of the circle before she could even begin to get the idea.

Good luck for Sunday Clare!

Nope, Apple stayed in the field today whilst we walked will. I rode Apple bareback on Thursday (only in walk). He decided to have a bit of a paddy and spin around in circles, and then trot off. I very nearly fell off :mellow: Might get some Apple pictures later on, when Kath goes to ride him :biggrin:

What still no Will pics :angry: :laugh:

I have had a fab weekend, did a jumping clinic yesterday and had a ball, Loki certainly loves his jumping, and definately enjoyed having a snooze and watching the others jump inbetween his turns.

Today we went on our first outing for another dreaded prelim 10 attempt. Although I was more worried about taking him out for the first time than the test. He took it all in his stride bless him :wub: Slightly anxious with the travelling but once out of the trailer tucked into his haynet and then when tacked up was just the same as he is at home.

Warmed up nicely, well as nicely as I let him, I have a warmup area phobia and ride like a lemon :rolleyes:

DSCN1082.JPG

DSCN1079.JPG

The test went ok, got correct leg in both canters, lost marks on my canter transitions up and down, but got better marks for the actual canter and the work I have done paid off on the free walk on a long rein, actually had some downward stretching :elefant: and got 7, never got higher than a 5 before.

We were both a bit distracted by the arena not having a fence! There were boards but then a gap to the fence, it felt like someone had taken our stablisers off :laugh: Even though I work on an inner track at home it wasn't much help.

I seem incapable of riding a good centre line at the end of the test, twice now I have got a 7 for centre line at the start and 5 at the end :rolleyes:

But I was delighted with my score of 61.8% :biggrin: Joint 7th! Same kind of comments, a nice active and willing test, now needs to be ridden together, more acceptance of the bit etc etc.

He seems none the worse tonight, when he gets really stressed he can go very tucked up, but he doesn't seem too bad so hopefully he will get more and more used to travelling.

Here's the video evidence

Well done! :flowers:

P10 is not the easiest of tests for a young horse, the diagonal canter almost takes you into counter canter which Loki would not be strong enough for yet, if you don't mind a comment I would come back to trot a bit sooner and almost leg yield back to the track, it would help him balance and avoid him falling in a heap through the transition, the corner comes up so quickly especially the last movement when you have the turn up the centre line to look forward to.

He is a lovely boy isn't he, you two have a such a good partnership! :biggrin:

Well done Claire. :biggrin:

I've been at Len Judds clinic today and learnt alot again, as ever!! Am going to one next weekend as well, wish I'd been able to arrange to get Molly to it but with the lorry off road and a 4 hour drive its not going to be easy....

Well done Clare! You two really are a great team! :flowers: :biggrin:

Had a lovely weekend, did a really nice hack on saturday, Kane managed to excell himself and found a new thing to throw at me!! Just set off and were passing the farm next door, and the mare that had just given birth was in the field next to the road...Sally (the mare) and our lot spend hours together cos her field is next to ours so they know each other very very well!! Anyway Kane sees the new foal (he has already seen it but only in the field across the fence) and went absolutely ballistic!! He reared :mellow: :mellow: , then proceeded at a great speed of knots towards Sally's gate...he was going to jump it!! Thank goodness for my new saddle and bit cos I have so much more control, managed to turn him and popped myself off!! Then Minty (now this is the most bombproof horse in the world ever!!) set off prancing and snorting!! Even Lynn had to get off !!! Couldn't believe it , Danny who is usually the most stressed about other horses was fine!! Had to lead them down the main road prancing and bucking!! (Believe me that made the traffic slow down!!! :laugh: ). Got back on and he was a lamb for the rest of the ride!!! :rolleyes:

Did schooling on sunday and he was perfect again!! Getting worried about all this good behaviour (don't class saturday as naughty..just excited) think he's due a blow out anyday!!! :laugh:

Very jealous about Len Judd Sarah, would love to see him work. (Preferably on Kane would be nice!!)

if you don't mind a comment I would come back to trot a bit sooner and almost leg yield back to the track, it would help him balance and avoid him falling in a heap through the transition, the corner comes up so quickly especially the last movement when you have the turn up the centre line to look forward to.

Not at all :biggrin: and I agree 100%, I was so busy trying to keep canter I underestimated the time I would need to do the transition, in hindsight I think I need to start asking him back to trot at X to get in control for F and then ready for whatever happens at C :wacko:

Prelim 10 is hard to escape from at the moment, I have two more shows which are the same test. I want to do a nice test where the canter is simple :huh: But on the plus side I am not having to worry about learning new tests :laugh:

Good boy Kane, but please don't make a habit of standing on your back legs, it is not nice for your mum :happy:

When is the showing you were hoping to do with him Jacky?