UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

A DVD would be a lovely way to keep the memories from your work, and fab to see all the horses again.

That was a really nice test Claire, he has a fantastic free walk, something I have never managed to achieve with Apple, he is always on too much of a mission to slow down and stretch like that, and the trot really started to swing as both of you relaxed more later in the test. And I have the same problem as you with an arm fixing, except mine is my left arm, regularly want to cut it off!!!

How did Apple and Blue get on last weekend?

We both got on pretty well, Jayne achieved everything she set out to achieve, she stayed on (her aim not mine for her!!!), completed the test, and scored over 50%, although she did admit to me when she was drunk the night before that she would be disappointed if she didn't win it, I think she was actually really pleased with how she got on.

Me and Apple had slightly mixed results, I came out of my novice test really pleased, he had gone really well, probably the best he has done all winter, and I had other riders come up to me as I was leaving the warm up arena to tell me that it was a beautiful test and looked amazing, only to get a relatively low score of 63% and not to place. This kind of messed with my head a bit and made me doubt that I knew what I was trying to do with the pony cos it had felt fab to me. Then had to go in to the elementary test (which was thankfully a different judge), rode a really bad test with Apple knowing that my head wasn't quite with it, but still managed to win it!!! All very strange, but hey at least we came away with a rosette, I'm going to talk it all through with my instructor on Wednesday cos we are going to a new venue next Monday night so I want to get us sorted by then.

Well done Clare!! You both look brill to me! :biggrin: :flowers:

Yeah for cantering!! Well done, I was the same first time I cantered Kane (okay I actually didn't ask for a canter he just did it but that my boy for you!!! :laugh: ) I was grinning like a fool for weeks too!!

Had a so so weekend, Dannys new loan person let us down..not sure what happened but will reserve judgement until I hear why she didn't turn up! :rolleyes: So yet another week of him not being ridden!!!

Wellllllll guess who went out alone again on sunday! :biggrin: :biggrin: Did have to get off at one point because he just refused to go forwards...but that's an improvement from what he used to do (turn heel and run for home :laugh: !!) . He's such a clever little swine though, he remembered where I turned back last time and tried to turn back at the same point, he did continue when I asked! We met someone we knew with her little pony and cart, she was terrified cos the last time she met a horse and rider, the horse had thrown the rider and bolted home!! Luckily Kane didn't bother at all, we decided he'd definately been driven in Ireland because he really wasn't fazed and most horses are the first time they see a cart! I was very surprised he continued after meeting her and didn't try and turn to follow her pony back!

So my question is...what do I do when he just stops and refuses to move? I've worked through the bolting, napping and turning but this is a new one!! I can't/won't carry a crop with him as it completely freaks him out, I tried slapping the reins against his neck (little rear to that..but no forward movement) and I kept my leg on so strong I ended up nearly getting cramp :laugh: ..but he still didn't move!!

Jacky when he plants you can turn him in circles but I would guess this would upset him a bit, the other thing to do is sit it out. Can take ages, don't allow anything but forward movement and praise the smallest step. You may have to take a book with you but it's a good non-confrontational method. He's a clever monkey isn't he, always manages to think up something new! :biggrin:

Can't see the videos Clare as I am at work - but I guess you did well as that is a bloomin fantastic score! :)

I also still remember my first proper canter on Rolo - we had got left behind at the back of a trot - he took matters in to his own hands and decided to canter to catch up - the others thought the charge of the light brigade was coming up behind them and took off - not one of us had brakes. :rolleyes: Fortunately there was a gate at the end :) Glad your canter on Feniks was much nicer :laugh:

Well done on the dressage - shame that you were dissappointed with your marks, but it seems to be the way it goes sometimes.

Hope it doesn't all go pearshaped for Danny again.

What a little star Kane is.

When I had Barney, he had a whole repetoire of evasions up his sleeve - when he planted, I found the best thing (if it was safe to do so) was to just relax and sit it out - he gave up eventually!

the other thing to do is sit it out. Can take ages, don't allow anything but forward movement and praise the smallest step. You may have to take a book with you but it's a good non-confrontational method. He's a clever monkey isn't he, always manages to think up something new! :biggrin:

That would be what I would do, it can take ages but is a very effective way in the long term of solving the problem :)

Yes I agree he is far to clever for his own good!! One day I will get a stupid horse/dog...they are so much easier to deal with!!! :laugh: :laugh: Will try the sitting him out trick then, the problem is next week the caravan sites are back open so the lane will be busy with inconciderate drivers again, at least yesterday I didn't have any cars to contend with!!! :laugh:

Yeah for cantering!! Well done, I was the same first time I cantered Kane (okay I actually didn't ask for a canter he just did it but that my boy for you!!! :laugh: ) I was grinning like a fool for weeks too!!

Thank god for you guys on here and my friends at the yard for understanding my elation :rolleyes: I would tell people at work but they would probably think "Whatever"

Told Steve when he rang from Afghanistan that I cantered on a hack and the first thing he asked was "Did you mean to?"

Like I said thank god for you lot :laugh:

Thank god for you guys on here and my friends at the yard for understanding my elation :rolleyes: I would tell people at work but they would probably think "Whatever"

Told Steve when he rang from Afghanistan that I cantered on a hack and the first thing he asked was "Did you mean to?"

Like I said thank god for you lot :laugh:

:laugh: I know!! I've got 1 person at work that started riding last year so she's starting to understand my excitement (she rang me at the weekend cos she's done trotting poles for the first time and was giddy!!) but I always look forward to posting here about the little mountains we climb!! :flowers:

Just got back from seeing my pair, and having to borrow hay as the farmer can't deliver mine until tomorrow. Vandals had got into the neighbour's yard overnight and let some of the horses out, including an old p-t-p TB gelding, a yearling colt and an accident prone TB mare whose stable door was smashed in. That mare had ended up in the field with Merlyn & Bronnie, and had blood running all down her one foreleg and a cut above her eye. Merlyn knows that mare of old, so wasn't over excited at her company, but Bronnie had clearly been having a blast around and got a bit sweaty. She had either rolled in the mud or fallen and was plastered, and still quite hyped up.

The mare's now back in her box and the neighbours have repaired the door, but are now going to contact the police. It's not the first time someone's let their horses out. I'll be glad when their two yearling colts have been gelded, in case it happens again and it's either of those that get in with Bronnie! The one is a tiny little grey Welsh section A, the other a Section D chestnut. There would also be the worry of Merlyn doing them some damage, as he's such a big lad and very protective of his little pal.

I have been looking for a weight-carrying cob mare on loan for me to plod around on, but so far those I have been told about seem to have been measured with a fisherman's measure! :laughingsmiley: Either that or those who have seen Merlyn and said "Oh, she's easily as big as your dun horse," must have been looking at him from a distance or when he's knee deep in mud! The biggest of them wouldn't have been even 14hh! Either that or, as in the case of a nice, old fashioned bay cob mare, who was for sale and would have done me nicely, been in foal, which I really don't want. I may yet consider her if she is still for sale after she's foaled and it has been weaned, as long as the owner doesn't get tempted to put her back in foal again. He seems to be waiting to see what she throws first.

A few rescues are aware of what I'm looking for, although some insist on stables being available and I only have a field shelter. Also, I think some are a bit suspicious when one says one is only interested in a mare. They seem to think that's because of wanting to breed, which I definitely don't. It is simply that Merlyn is great with mares and fillies, but behaves like a totally immature shitebag around other geldings! He's very protective around the mares and fillies, but has been know to boot or bite geldings if he takes a dislike to them, and even play fights can cause damage. Also, I don't want to risk scraps at feeding times and when I might find myself in the firing line. ;)

I was offered a 15 years old Clydsdale cross gelding on loan a few weeks ago but, apart from being the wrong sex, he was also well over 16hh, so I would have been struggling a bit mounting, dismounting and ducking under low branches. He also had allergies and had to live out, and a huge white face with a tendency to get sunburned around his eyes and muzzle. The latter I could have coped with, though.

I think also that, in turning down rescue owned horses that are offered, even for very genuine reasons, the rescues possibly block-off and don't offer one anything else. I can't really say that I blame them.

Another possibility is that, in admitting that I have disabilities when contacting rescues, that may give them a false impression. Yes, I do have to take things steady, but can still be a reasonably competent rider hacking out, and it's not as if I am looking for anything unrealistic for my situation and circumstances. I can still manage that old rogue, Merlyn when he has his moments, even if I don't particularly enjoy doing so! :wink:

When I was simply looking for a female companion pony for old Merlyn, I would have thought it would have been much easier to fill the brief, as age wasn't a criteria at all, just its sex and a reasonable level of health/soundness that was manageable. If rideable but either my grandson on a leading rein, or myself or a friend, that would have been a bonus but not essential. Again, all I was offered were geldings or the odd entire colt/stallion! :unsure:

Now, I think it will be a case of having to buy the right mare when I find her or retiring from the saddle. :laughingsmiley: The sad thing is, that probably the very mare that would best suit me - a nice natured, weight-carrying old plodder of about 15hh, and who won't be expected to do anymore than amble around quietly a few times a week and for less than an hour each time, and end her days with me naturally - is probably the very type that end up being bought up by the knacker.

Crikey Al, I would have thought you would have had horses coming out of your ears when you're offering such a nice home! Hope something turns up soon!

I had to see the Occupational Health Doctor at work today, bit of a pointless exercise as it's fairly obvious what I've had done and why I'm off work, NOT! Personnel did not seem to know I had had a TKR, err, wot did it say on my certificate, not THIS PERSON IS SWINGING THE LEAD, no it said TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT. Plonkers!!! Doc was bemused but what a nice chap, said it's doing absolutely great and he sees no reason why I should not ride as long as I don't do cross country or fall off!

:elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

May just leave it another week though! :biggrin:

YO Sam went out on Obe today and he did a sudden whip round and very unusually Sam came off on the road, she landed on her hip still hanging onto the reins with Obe dragging her down the road at a canter, then she lost her grip and Obe was off heading for home on a rural but fast road. She said she was after him like a flash and ringing her husband at the same time while gasping for breath. As he turned for home a chap in a landy stopped him and her OH turned up at the same time, what does Sam do but get back on and take him round the route he had supposed to be going!!!!! When she rang me she was just putting him out and as she was telling me the tale she suddenly shrieked that there was blood on her johds! I said get that horse out, go home and find out what the damage is and probably go for an X ray just in case there is some further damage. I can't see that she can come off a 16.2 onto a road, get dragged and not be hurt in some way, she will be as stiff as an old boot by tomorrow I'm sure. Not heard anything else but she did say she would ring me back later. She's been bloody lucky and I'm hoping she's ok.

OMG!! Poor Sam!!! I hope she's okay today! I know what it's like, I've got back on with dislocated shoulder, fractured elbow and fractured knuckle (all 3 different falls...only 1 of which was a Kane one!! :laugh: ) and it's generally only once you're home that you feel it!! I bet she was all of a wobble. Good for her though, and thank goodness someone had the sense to stop the car and grab hold of him. :GroupHug:

I agree Al sounds like you are offering a wonderful home, I'm sure something will turn up soon.