UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Now, I think it will be a case of having to buy the right mare when I find her or retiring from the saddle. :laughingsmiley: The sad thing is, that probably the very mare that would best suit me - a nice natured, weight-carrying old plodder of about 15hh, and who won't be expected to do anymore than amble around quietly a few times a week and for less than an hour each time, and end her days with me naturally - is probably the very type that end up being bought up by the knacker.

Oooh look what a coincidence I read your post and then thought of this mare I saw Coby Mare

this is where I bought Loki from and always have a nose now and again, know you are looking to loan but couldn't resist :laugh:

Ouch hope Sam is not too sore today. Great news about the riding :biggrin: :elefant:

Well done Apple and Blue :biggrin:

Clare I've just watched your dressage video, golly he has come on, he looks a lot more mature now. Are you up for some hopefully constructive comments?

Keep your hands still! Imagine you have a mug in each hand and you have to hold them level. He is offering you more in the way of coming through and taking the rein forward and you don't take him up on the offer. I can't just remember how old he is now but he looks ready to work more over his back and to use his back end more actively, you may have to slow him down a little to achieve this. He has really nice paces, you have big things to come from this chap!

Send me a slap if I'm being cheeky! :laugh:

Oooh look what a coincidence I read your post and then thought of this mare I saw Coby Mare

this is where I bought Loki from and always have a nose now and again, know you are looking to loan but couldn't resist :laugh:

Er... she is quite similar to the 4 yo bay mare I was offered recently for £1,300 but that I turned down because she was in foal and to a big coloured cob stallion. Think perhaps, if I had more land and suitable for a foaling mare, I should have snapped the chap's hand off! :laughingsmiley:

He same chap has a really nice black, Welsh Sec D mare that I would love if either she was a little bigger or I was around 4 stones lighter. She'll be 6 years old now, but really wasted on me and for what I want a horse for. He was looking for around £1,600 for her last year. Masses of potential in the right hands and a super natured horse. Very well bred, too and beautifully put together. (Derwen/Nebo bloodlines.) The sort of mare that, twenty or thirty years ago, I would have really enjoyed bringing on and doing things with.

Clare I've just watched your dressage video, golly he has come on, he looks a lot more mature now. Are you up for some hopefully constructive comments?

Keep your hands still! Imagine you have a mug in each hand and you have to hold them level. He is offering you more in the way of coming through and taking the rein forward and you don't take him up on the offer. I can't just remember how old he is now but he looks ready to work more over his back and to use his back end more actively, you may have to slow him down a little to achieve this. He has really nice paces, you have big things to come from this chap!

Send me a slap if I'm being cheeky! :laugh:

Not cheeky at all, fair comment :flowers: He is now 6 :wub:

I am working on keeping my hands still and it is coming at home, but once I get out and the nerves kick in I go to pot. Although as I was doing the test I said to myself my hands were all over the place, but brain didn't kick in to do anything about it, plus I didn't gather my reins enough after the free walk, but as he had started to relax I was worried about upsetting him :rolleyes:

Really pleased to hear everyone can see some improvement in him, this year he has suddenly started to mature :wub:

Do you, or anyone else have any tips to help my legs drop down more, I hate the way I look perched :unsure:

Showjumping clinic this weekend woohooo :elefant: OH may even come along and take vids / pics :biggrin:

I want a big coloured horsey :wub:

My boss has bough 2 new horses :huh: she is mad, mad I tell y'a! A beautiful brown 5 year old gelding and a 12 year old chesnut gelding (not very beautiful at all :laugh: ) lovely horses both. She still has not decided on her loan horse either, but my money is on her keeping him, as he is a darling and has developed positively in the time he has been with us.

Will email some piccies and Derby is absolutely fine! Not so very far away - I am just going to email woman who originally wanted her one last time and then we can take it from there....

Cuev would be PERFECT young rider's horse, absolutely perfect.

Fingers crossed you've sorted Cuev out now. I'd hardly say Zoe was young riders, but shes competitive and keen, alot more than I am thats for sure! She has a space at our friends yard when she find the right horse where one of my horses went to live.

Here's a good exercise Clare, take feet out of stirrups, lift knee, turn knee out as far as possible, push leg down then think relax, it will open and free your hips. Start at the halt then do at the walk, also check you are not riding too short as this will tip you forward. You look tons better than with the saddle that chair seated you! :)

PS, just been back for another look at the video, you sit really nice and straight and don't look perched but your lower leg is loose, at times your foot was almost in front of the girth, the vid kept handily freezing at just the right time :laugh: It's a minor thing and probably once you're aware it could correct it's self! By 'eck he's a nice horse!

Here's a good exercise Clare, take feet out of stirrups, lift knee, turn knee out as far as possible, push leg down then think relax, it will open and free your hips. Start at the halt then do at the walk, also check you are not riding too short as this will tip you forward. You look tons better than with the saddle that chair seated you! :)

That is exactly what I was going to suggest along with a similar exercise where you quit the stirrups, take your legs alternately away from the saddle outwards and backwards, lengthen it as if stretching it heel first towards the ground, then close the leg back against the saddle without tensing it and allow it to slide forward into the correct position. I find this helps me to loosen and lengthen my thigh muscles, and, in my case, to try and reduce the amount of my 'flab' that lies between me and the horse! :unsure: :unsure: It helps me to maintain a natural and more secure seat when Merlyn decides to do one of his 180 degree spins or sudden sideways leaps at imaginary monsters! :wacko:

Jacky, the first of those three would be wasted on me and has more potential than I could do justice to now. The second is the wrong sex and too fine, as well as taller than I would find ideal, and the third simply not up to my weight. (Possibly a little too old, as well, at 24 years.)

I heard tonight of a 14 yo cob mare that may be available for loan or sale, but she's not been ridden for three or four years and I don't know why not. Will see if I can find out more about her, but someone who knows horses has told me that she is around 15.1hh and well able to carry my weight. She apparently looks like a Suffolk Punch. I guess that means she's a chestnut. (Not my favourite colour but if she'll do my job...)

Just been talking to my Yard Owner to see if the farrier is coming today or tomorrow, shes none the wiser than me!

But in our conversation she says everyone absolutely adores Easta, they think she is wonderful and want to pony nap her!! I've let both the girls on the yard exercise her for me when I've been busy at work and they think she is a dream to ride. I'm pleased as she does seem really settled there and she seems to already have everyone trained to give her preferential treatment, it only took her 2 weeks!