UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

:wavey: :ninja:

Just thought I'd sneak in and update you all on how me and Blue are getting on. We hack out every Thursday with the yard owner now, which is great fun as she rides a different one every time!

Last week I was trotting round the school on him, and there was a really small jump set up, so I decided to be brave and jump it (never jumped anything before), just him at it in trot, grabbed onto his mane, and he popped over it no probs :wub: :wub:

We have also done 2 dressage competitions - first one was beginners prelim 13, my aim was to get round without falling off/going the wrong way and if poss, get over 50%. He was a star, broke his canter a couple of times, nearly squashed the judge's car going down the centre line at first as my reins weren't short enough :rolleyes: but we did ok, got to the end of the test and scored 57% :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last one was on Monday night, prelim 10. Hadn't ridden through the test, or done any schooling with him, so was absolutely dreading it - I was looking quite green before I went in apparently. Again the little darling broke on his canters (must keep my leg on more), but he worked really really well for me and we came 4th :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I luff my pony :wub:

hi everyone - been trying to catch up with the news but almost impossible!! have been liking all the piccies esp donkey foal soo cute!!

I am off to try out a 16hh grey throughbred tomorrow. The lady has 3 horses and is concentrating her time on her youngster hence no time for this one. She says i can come and ride him whenever i want (for free as well which is great as cant afford to share). at the moment he is just schooled by a nice trainer guy once a week (who i am going to watch in action tomorrow!). Slightly apprehensive as havent ridden for a month or so and in the past probably 3 months the only thing i have ridden is a 13.2 pony so could be interesting!!

She says he is a typical throughbred, dances about etc but she has never come off him so we shall see how it goes!! :rolleyes:

I will try to keep up todate more!

My stepson has just asked me to put feelers out for a loan home for his beautiful Irish competition horse from next autumn. I believe "Moon" is 17hh, bay about 5yrs old. They would be looking for a home that would enjoy furthering his education. He is quite well schooled and has a huge jump. He is a delight to look after, but not a Novice ride. pm me if interested. He is in Sussex at the moment, but they are prepared to let him go further to the right home. They are only looking for this home as they have started a young family and with 3 labs and babies they feel they cannot give this young chap what he needs. Please pm me if interested.

I am in Sussex so will put out some feelers for you - he sounds like an incredible horse :)

Just a quickie from me! I rode facing backwards today :laugh:

On a sheep!! I was tryign to restrain it for my friend (lambing is in full swing) when the bloody thing ran straight between my legs, swept me off my feet and carreered around the pen with me, facing backwards, astride her. My friend was laughing too much to help so had to wait until the sheep stopped before I could get off! Actually she was quite comfy! :laugh:

I did ride Rolo too - only in walk in the school as he has lost a shoe, but he was a very good boy - his field mate called for him several times, a brand new pony in the next door field was cantering around and his other field mate walked past the other side of the school on his way out on a hack, and he did nothing! He also put up with loads of faffing around as I tried to get my position right - finally seem to be settling in to the treeless!

Well done Jayne - that is fantastic!

Edited by Bradders

:laugh: You've obviously missed your calling Jenny...you're a sheep handler not a horse woman!! :laugh: :wink:

Glad the saddle seems to be working out!

Had a lovely weekend, Saturday was a wash out cos the wind was way too much to hack out (horses would be fine but can't risk not hearing the traffic or something flying out at us) so spend 2 hours pampering and preaning my boy!! Finally agreed to the pressure and in June we will be doing our first sho!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: So I've loads of questions cos I've never shown!!! :mellow:

Right for the in-hand class (which I'm going to do first and if he's okay I'll do ridden as it's after the in-hand class so I'll decide on the day!)

What do I have to wear?

I presume Kane can be au-natural?? :laugh:

What do I lead him in?? Remember he's a very strong boy and if he wants to go I usually go with him!! :laugh:

Do I have to run around?? I don't do running!! :laugh:

Will the judge touch him? He's still a tiny bit jumpy with people he doesn't know.

Should I tell them about his eye-sight?

Okay for the ridden..

Again, what do I have to wear?

Will my treeless saddle be okay? (Lynn has said she'll lend me her leather one that should fit but I'm not sure about riding him somewhere new in a saddle I'm not used to)

Will his Myler bit be allowed? (When I bought it, the details said some of them are not dressage legal so is that the same for showing?)

If he has one of his panic attacks, I presume I can just leave the ring? (And that's the worse senario!!)

Anyway that aside, had a lovely hack on sunday and he was an Angel again!! :wub: :wub:

Right for the in-hand class (which I'm going to do first and if he's okay I'll do ridden as it's after the in-hand class so I'll decide on the day!)

What do I have to wear?

I presume Kane can be au-natural?? :laugh:

What do I lead him in?? Remember he's a very strong boy and if he wants to go I usually go with him!! :laugh:

Do I have to run around?? I don't do running!! :laugh:

Will the judge touch him? He's still a tiny bit jumpy with people he doesn't know.

Should I tell them about his eye-sight?

Okay for the ridden..

Again, what do I have to wear?

Will my treeless saddle be okay? (Lynn has said she'll lend me her leather one that should fit but I'm not sure about riding him somewhere new in a saddle I'm not used to)

Will his Myler bit be allowed? (When I bought it, the details said some of them are not dressage legal so is that the same for showing?)

If he has one of his panic attacks, I presume I can just leave the ring? (And that's the worse senario!!)

Anyway that aside, had a lovely hack on sunday and he was an Angel again!! :wub: :wub:

Lots of questions!!! I'm not very big on showing but I'll do my best and I'm sure others will be able to give better answers than I will!!

In Hand showing - you can either wear usual show kit i.e. beige jods, white shirt, tie/stock, show jacket or hacking jacket (depending on the class). Or you can wear anything smart i.e. smart trousers, shirt, jacket (some people go over the top and go for skirts/waistcoats/heels etc) Most important is sensible shoes/boots cos you will have to run with him. The usual class tends to have everyone walking round together, then everyone will halt round the outside and you will take it in turns to trot your horse round to the back of the queue, you will then walk round again and get pulled into a line up, bring your horse out in turn to standin front of the judge (some will at that point want to pat the horse etc but don't tend to run their hands over them like dog showing), walk away fro the judge then trot back and go back into line. You will then all walk on round the ring and get pulled in to the final line up to get your rosettes etc.

Depending on the class Kane will be fine to go natural and you can lead him in a leather bridle, normally with a leather lead rein and chain rather than reins (although you can get away with reins at most shows). It's up to you whether you tell them about his eye sight, depends on the judge and the class whether that will go against him or not (if the judge is a bit full of it they will probs mark him down for it).

For the ridden showing what to wear again depends on the class - I assume it will be a mountain & moorland type class (??) If so you will need to wear beige/canary jods, white shirt, tie, show jacket/hacking jacket (should probs be show jacket) with long boots and gloves.

You should be fine with a treeless and you can use any bit in most classes (occasionally they do classes like family horse/pony that needs a snaffle). You will be able to leave the ring at any time, just let the steward know what you are doing and why (if you have a chance and are concerned that he might struggle warn the steward before hand so they know what to expect.

Hope this helps a bit, and we expect loads of pics when you go so make sure someone is on camera duty!!!

I'd go for buff johds and a hacking jacket if it's a mountain and moorland type class. If your ridden class is not too near the in hand, (for getting changed) then you may prefer trousers and strong boots or shoes, running in long boots is not easy! Some sort of hat to complete the picture and beautiful Kane with flowing locks. DON'T forget the camera!

PS: If you have to do an individual in hand show really go for it in trot, big strong boys don't show themselves as well if held back to a tootle. Good Luck, when is it?

Oooh love the foal cam, not yet caught a birth live though, maybe this year :biggrin:

Good luck with the showing Jacky, which Myler bit do you use?

Phoenix can't wait to hear how it went with the grey TB (my favourite hope we have pics :wub: ) :elefant:

Yeehaa Bradders :laugh:

Think I may have found a yard, well definately found one, but when the stable is going to be vacant is causing some sleepless nights. Nothing is every simple when it comes to horses is it :rolleyes:

Good luck with the showing Jacky, which Myler bit do you use?

Brill news about the stables!! Do it have any facilities? Fingers crossed the timing works out.

I use a Triple Barrel bit with him, it's been a god send! From the moment I used it he's gone differently. It's quiet shocking that I never realised that some of his issues could of been down to the bit!! I've always ridden him in a french link thinking it was the kindest bit..seems I was wrong!!! He used to struggle putting the bit in and now he readly accepts it! I can't sing it's praises enough...it means I barely use my hands on him now unless I need to stop!!!! :laugh: :laugh: And I literally just put slight pressure on and he responds, unlike before where I'd have my full body weight against him and he'd still not stop!!

Yes I am a Myler convert from a french link too. I swapped Loki to a comfort snaffle and haven't looked back :biggrin:

Yard is nice, it has brilliant hacking straight into Windsor Great Park, large stables and all year turnout, although grazing isn't the best quality as they are not able to rotate. The down side is the school isn't great, it is more a sandy area fenced off, it has no drainage so doesn't cope with a lot of rain.

It feels like such a nice place, and 5 mins from work, 10 minutes from home, that I am going to give it a go and see if I can live with the school. There is a riding club that hold clinics a short hack through the park away, and we have the trailer so I will just have to travel him for lessons.

The other hitch is that for Royal Ascot week we lose all the grazing and the fields become a helicopter landing and parking area, which could be interesting :laugh:

Good Luck Clare, i hope the yard works out ok.

I've been riding Eastab today and promptly got reared with in the school. She seems to hate doing anything in canter but plunging and leaping. I put my leg on so she stopped and reared! Evil cow!

Anyway other than that things are going well, got another lesson on Thursday and we're aiming to team up with another livery and have a weekly jumping lesson on Sundays... but I'm not fit enough yet.