UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Oh no!! Poor Milo :GroupHug: Think I would be squeamish about injecting penicillin too :unsure:

Am in a bit of a dilemma about what to do with his bedding now he's in. Am thinking about putting him back onto straw, as I think he's just going to trash his bed with him being confined to his stable for the next 3 months. It wasn't too bad over winter as he was going out every day in the field, but with him being in all the time, it's going to cost a fortune! Get through 2 bales of shavings on a normal week! The reason I put him on shavings was because he was eating his bed, which he will still do, but I suppose that will give him something to do instead of cribbing or windsucking :unsure: I could get some lightweight eva mats so he's not lying on concrete. I prefer a straw bed any day, much easier than shavings.

How is everyone getting on?

Changed Blue's bed over to straw on Monday, it's so much easier than shavings!! Don't think he's too happy about being stuck in though, when all the others are out in the field 24/7. Thankfully where his stable is though, it looks out onto the mounting block and the wall with the tie rings on, so he can see the other horses when they are brought in and ridden. He has started rubbing his face on his window, not sure if it's a boredom thing or whether he is just itchy :unsure: Might look at attaching some carpet to his window frame so that he doesn't rub his face raw :(

(null)

We had our big move today back to my old yard! Milo was amazingly well behaved and went back out in the field this afternoon like he's never been away, no running around at all! Thought I'd take the opportunity for some photos :)

Mum where are we going? We don't normally hack first thing in the morning...

IMAG0140.jpg

Oh yes I remember this place. Look, auntie April even planted some flowers outside my stable to make it look pretty!

IMAG0147.jpg

It's nice and cosy inside!

IMAG0145.jpg

Back out in ny favourite field, no need to be silly :)

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

• Like 1

Glad Milo has settled quickly :flowers:

How is Blue getting on?

I have a dilemna, what do you guys think. When I had to get my saddles checked for the vet I had to use a different saddler as my usual one couldn't come out for month, we sorted a new dressage saddle but when she checked the jumping saddle and said it didn't fit him as it was too narrow but as I only bought it in end of Dec we agreed I would discuss it with my saddler who sold it to me.

I haven't really been able to judge the new dressage saddle yet as had it for three weeks but first week was walking, and last week was on holiday but it does seem Loki is starting to let himself go again and his work is improving, instructor was impressed with difference yesterday. Other saddler came out yesterday to check jumping saddle, I rode it in and he reverted to being reluctant to go forward and unhappy. Saddler said nothing wrong with the fit but didn't want an unhappy customer so agreed to take the saddle back, I won't find out until next week how much money I will lose on it :(

So I have BCA horse trials on 17th June and no saddle to jump in, so need to sort something out but who do I use?! How can one Master Saddler say it doesn't fit and one says it does, the lady that came out yesterday is very well respected and knows her stuff and has been great to deal with, the new lady was fab too but had such different views.

It's going to be an expensive mistake and I am scared to make another one, which saddler would you use?!

As he's freeing up with the dressage saddle and she was right about the jump saddle not fitting him I'd be tempted to go with her. I suppose he could have changed shape a bit since you got the jump saddle, spring grass and all that but at the end of the day it doesn't fit and Loki made it clear he was not happy. It's a nightmare I know, I hope you get it sorted in time!

I agree with PW too... If all else fails, could you really shorten the stirrups on the dressage saddle and jump in that? I know nothing about jumping, so not sure if you could :unsure:

Blue is still bored. When I went up last night he was just stood at the back of his stable looking miserable :( Have booked him in to be reviewed by my vets on the 20th August. Hopefully they will say we can go back to ridden work in walk, but we have a long way to go before then anyway.

Thanks I have left a message with new lady to arrange a visit :flowers:

I used to do interval training, poles and if desperate (or too lazy to bring jump saddle up!) do small jumps in my Isabel Werth saddle but the new one doesn't give me the same secure feel so not going to risk jumping in it, definately couldn't go xc in it.

Have you tried Blue with a hanging swedes (vegetable variety obviously :D ) Loki used to like lots of different veg chopped up and hidden in his hay or around his stable. Box rest is horrible, feel for you both :GroupHug:

He's not too keen on Swede, tried that when I first bought him and he needed to spend time in, he's such a fussy get!! My instructor was up at the farm today and came down to see him, she said he was looking well all things considering (just as he tried to take chunks out of my shoulder :laugh:

I joined twitter a while back, Lee Pearson is on there and seemed quite active on there tonight, so I thought I'd post and say how we were supposed to be on his clinic last week and I was disappointed to miss it. Anyway, he replied :biggrin: He said it was a lovely day :) I love it when a celeb replies on twitter!!

Glad Milo has settled back down at your old yard, hope his leg is mended now :)

Well it seems I've joined the 'fluffy' brigade! That's a tongue in cheek comment but it's how the livery yard are seeing me at the moment! As I can't ride and Banner will not drive we have decided to do horse agility and Banner is being amazing! She is doing the weave, walk across a tarp, between barrels, over a jump and through a curtain, (ribbony fly type). We have to make an archway with a half circle at the bottom to jump through and before the turn of the century the A frame, horse walk and seesaw come into it all! Then I have to teach her do do it loose, mmm, all I can see her doing is legging it over the horizon. :laughingsmiley:

It takes ages to set it all up but it's great fun and we can compete on line, watch this space!

• Like 1

And the photos are where??? :laugh: :wink:

Interesting development on blue's situation yesterday. The yard owner's vet has just bought a thermal imaging camera and needed horses to be shown how to use it by the company. So my YO suggested that Blue be the guinea pig. So she came yesterday and there is a heat difference in his hind legs, but it's his right hind that is warmer :unsure: : rolleyes: So she is going to analyse the images and see what she thinks. Figure the management will still be box rest, but am now wondering why leahurst didn't do the thermal camera :unsure:

We sooo need an video of that PW :biggrin:

That sounds interesting Gooster, hope you get some answers from her findings :flowers:

Excuse me whilst I :banghead: Saddler who I've never had any problem getting hold of has now gone AWOL so have got no further in booking her to come out I didn't expect to get anyone out quickly but had hoped I would have got something booked this week! Physio is back out tonight so going to ask if she can recommend someone, but its going to have to be a second hand saddle and saddlers who do those seem few and far between around here.