UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Wanda is stunning what a lovely mare she is....

Poor little Banner, having worked on a stud farm I know what a horrible condition it is...massaging the area does help (breaks down the horrible gunk)...but not all horses are very happy about it....

You always have to allow for the fact that most cob types have a fairly straight hock, so its not always easy for them to step right up underneath the girth, they simply dont have the flexibility in their hock....

Well Milo has just been given yet another clean bill of health from the chiropractor who maintains that he's the most flexible cob hes ever met :laugh:

I discussed his lack of working from behind with the chiropractor who watched me trot Milo up in hand around the field and his opinion was that he works equally infront and behind so theres nothing wrong, hes just naturally short in his paces. He said I might be able to improve him over time with trotting poles etc but the difference wont be huge. Thats just him.

So I guess dressage and showing are out the window then :laugh:

Had a fab lesson yesterday, did flatwork and stayed in walk and trot and worked on our lateral work. Milo loves lateral stuff, I think it keeps him occupied! He ended up doing some of his best work yet, especially in walk! Was really chuffed.

Then, disaster struck and Milo's best friend Hobo the pony went down with Colic :mecry: Fortunately it was only mild but still awful to watch. The vet gave him a few injections and after he'd come round from the sedative a while later he seemed right as rain. Hopefully he'll be fine now but we are all on the look out at the moment!

:GroupHug: Hobo. Colic is horrible :(

Just had Ferns bill for colic..£215 :ohmy: :ohmy: I know it was emergency call out around 7ish in the morning but vet took 1hr to get there and was with us 15 minutes. Medication costs were just over £40, the rest which is £175 was call out and visiting charges. Ferns owner isnt interested so i dont think any money is coming from her. My fault, should have sorted out things like this when i first borrowed her :( On the good side shes much more trusting since she was so ill :)

Opinons please! I'm a witch and always have been even before I knew I was anything, I don't brew things or tell fortunes I just know things, see auras, dead people and bring a lot of plants back to life from shriveled up brown wrecks! :biggrin:

The area of horse communication is new to me and the one and only horse who has ever communicated with me at this level in 64 years continues to do so. He can be very rude and uses some fairly bad language at times, he can also be very funny, why he refers to my shetlands as worms I just don't know.

Thing is, although he's a bit battered and an old 19 and has some serious problems there is something just so regal, so beautiful and so incredibly awesome about him that at times I just have to stand and look at him to try to understand who or what he is. Then today he floored me with the comment 'I wasn't always a horse you know'!!!!!

Now what on earth, or possibly not on earth do I make of that.

Now what on earth, or possibly not on earth do I make of that.

Ask him for more :biggrin: I find this fascinating. I can pick up on very strong emotions from animals but cant do normal chit chat.When Bumble was very ill recently he was standing in the field resting his head on my shoulder, we were facing towards the coast way when he told me how he loved standing there looking at the beautiful view and how he didnt want to leave me but he knew he was very ill :mecry: Part of the reason i fell to pieces over him was because i knew what was going through his mind :mecry: that made it very hard.He has also told me before when he doesnt want rugs on :laugh: Annie doesnt chat like that she finds it 'uncomfortable'.With Fern all i get from her is the 'feeling' that she behaving as good as possible as she doesn't want to go away from us. Try and get more answers from this lad, i love the expression 'worms' for the poor shetlands :laugh:

It's always on his terms, I can't walk up to him and just ask, I have to wait for him to talk. Sometimes he makes asides as he passes, usually rude. He asked me what the vet had said and I had to tell him, he said to fix it but I can't, no-one can fix him! :mecry:

Sometimes I don't understand and he says I'm a stupid b***** and I'm not listening properly!

I was closer to Dobbin than her skin and felt her moods like they were my own but she did not talk, maybe she didn't need to?

What a lovely moment with Bumble and isn't it strange that some don't want to talk. YO Sam send pics of two of hers to the communicator and they just didn't want to know!

He sounds like a right character :laugh: Sometimes i find concentrating too hard blocks things, its when i'm more relaxed its easier for me. It was lovely with Bumble but awful at the same time if that makes sense. Me and him have always had a close bond and i can pick up on his moods so easily.

Bumble was feeling so good yesterday i chucked Jodie on him as i was bringing him in...i think he thought he was a racehorse. Poor Jodie was looking seasick after the bouncing around, spooking and jogging :laugh: Was lovely to see him so happy :biggrin:

CP I took my stirrups up one hole for jumping this week, think if I took them up any more I‘d feel like a jockey :laugh: glad Milo has clean bill of health :wub:

Clare the instructor at the yard said they wouldn’t sell Magic (cant afford him atm anyway) so will just settle meantime for lessons, keep improving Loki :wub:

Wanda :wub: and poor Banner :GroupHug:

Hobo :GroupHug:

Lessons still on Magic, flatwork and jumping twice per week. Going good, some of the jumps were raised 1 hole today, we all noticed it but its better if noone mentions it :laughingsmiley:

Couple of things to work on, Magic has been cantering disunited a few times in the lesson which feels really odd and also sometimes he does a flying change over the jump but more often than not we have to come back to trot after the jump. How do I get the right canter lead after the jump?

If you want to land on a certain leg on landing, as you are going over the jump change your position to as if you were asking for that canter lead on the flat, so put more of your weight in the inside stirrup, inside leg on the girth outside leg behind, sounds a lot to think of but once you get the hang of it you will find all you need to do is think the way you want to go and the rest just happens (well in theory although we still struggle :laugh: )

If only we 'knew' what way we wanted to go!

If you want to land on a certain leg on landing, as you are going over the jump change your position to as if you were asking for that canter lead on the flat, so put more of your weight in the inside stirrup, inside leg on the girth outside leg behind, sounds a lot to think of but once you get the hang of it you will find all you need to do is think the way you want to go and the rest just happens (well in theory although we still struggle :laugh: )