UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Sounds like you have a busy few months coming up!!!

We hacked out today with a couple of the other liveries. They told me they were doing the reservoir ride and asked what Blue was like with water. As he has managed to walk through puddles recently with no arguments, we decided to give it a go. All he had to do was step into a little stream and out the other side. We had a temper tantrum and little rears and spins. I ended up getting off and trying to lead him through the stream but he just planted his feet and refused to move!! Anyway he won the battle so we turned round and went a different way. He was really good the rest of the ride and we had another little canter!!!

Norty Blue, if it were me I would plan to go back with a picnic and a patient friend and stay there until he goes through :flowers:

Ooh haven't seen a schedule for Wheatlands, when is it?

Will definately see you at WEC as that is the first comp they are holding that I am not going out somewhere else :laugh: Its a really nice show very relaxed and friendly :flowers:

I think my next trip to the stream will be armed with lunge line and steel toe caps and a useful friend.

Meant to be quick at the farm last night, but as I got to the farm the girl who has the next stable to blue had fallen off her horse whilst jumping. She is only 12 and has had her 16.1 appoloosa for about 10 days. Apparently her horse refused, so she asked her to jump again and as they landed the horse did a huge buck and she went flying into the fence. We ended up calling an ambulance, and keeping her covered with rugs and coats till they came as she couldn't move and kept shivering and shaking. The ambulance crew think it is just soft tissue, but took her to hospital anyway.

Am hoping she'll be ok, I think her confidence will have taken a huge knock.

Ouch, poor little lass, hope she's alright and she can get back on her new horse - 16.1 sounds awfully big for a 12 year old.

I've just started to get involved with a local charity called Ride high which works with disadvantaged youngsters who wouldn't get the chance to get involved with horses otherwise. They are taught about horses and their care, as well as being taught to ride. As well as their weekly lesson, we also like to offer them the chance to go on horse orientated outtings - they were at the Shire Horse Show the other week, they've been to Towcester Racecourse on a race day, changing of the gaurd and the Royal Mews, Warhorse, and they are going to Spillers Mills soon, I've asked a friend who has a trakhener stud if they can visit there.

Can anyone think of any other 'horsey' locations they could visit?

Clare the MH chaps I ordered are leather across the laces so ive sent them back as they just wont fit over boots. Yours look like they would stretch no problem. Wore old ones today for lesson until I get to saddlery. Boots are very comfy so happy with them.

CP hectic weeks ahead, cant wait to hear how you get on, all sounds very exciting :thumbsup_still:

Awww poor Blue, hope he realises stepping in water is nothing to worry about :GroupHug:

Hope the wee girl is ok, sounds awful.

Clare why are you feeling sick, will you be doing SJ/XC and Dressage :worried_anim:

Ride High sounds a wonderful charity and superb for the kids.

Lesson today was on Super Duper Trooper, cantering with no stirrups (not the whole lesson thankfully).

He was working on the bit and it felt fabbbbbbbbb :jumpy:

Think im on Boysie tomorrow.

Clare why are you feeling sick, will you be doing SJ/XC and Dressage :worried_anim:

Yes, I think its more the occasion that is worrying me, it will be by far the biggest event we have done, up until this year it has been affiliated only but this year it is unaffliated but being run as a BE event, so lots of dressing around the fences, loud speakers, and generally professionally staged!

How did you find cantering without stirrups? I quite like it but don't like coming back to trot, although it does ensure I use my core in the transition :laugh:

Had a fab day doing a combined training clinic with my usual dressage lady and then a BE trainer. The sj part was mind boggling with 10 fences on a 20m circle different exercises like having to jump a certain number of them and then jumping them at an angle and jumping in and out of the circle :wacko: I got lost lots, but learnt tons :biggrin:

May be pics later as there were photographers there!

Ohhh I think I would be a bag of nerves but from what ive seen from your videos im sure you and Loki will do great :wink:

Cantering without stirrups was good, I did a bit of rising trot before sitting so transition was ok. Trooper is well into his teens so knows what hes at :wub:

On Boysie again today, he is lovely too though young in comparison (instructor said she thinks 5 or 6), he came to the yard a couple of years ago and from what ive heard was a bit of a hooligan so has come on a lot :wub:

Different instructor today who had us going up and down off a XC mound which was fine, I said no to jumping a small ditch as I just don’t want to jump/don’t have confidence and Boysie is apparently a bit green so for either of us I didn’t think it was a good idea.

Am I being a chicken not jumping? I just feel safer with horses 4 feet on the ground :rolleyes:

Hmmm SJ certainly sounds interesting for you and Loki, cant wait to see piccies.

You are definitely not being chicken by wanting to keep all 4 feet on the floor!! I hate jumping, scares the you know what out of me!!

I think you are brave cantering without stirrups, I won't ride without stirrups full stop as Blue can throw a spook in without warning!!

Had an ace lesson today, we actually rode round circles today instead of squares or egg shaped ones :biggrin: He was really listening to me so we cantered on each rein, and he waited for me to ask to come back to trot too!!! Think the exercises we have been doing have unleashed a racehorse!! Have also found a cobbler to shorten my super expensive long boots that mum bought for me a few years ago! It'll only cost me £20 as well!! Bargain!!

Have also had an update (from my instructor) about the trailer I'm supposed to be getting. Apparently the people I'm buying it off got their box on Friday and took their horse for a 15 min journey in it. In that time she had broken through the jockey door and pulled up all the rubber flooring :unsure: Am tempted to start looking elsewhere for a trailer as it is getting close to the Easter show I want to enter.

Definately not being chicken not wanting to jump (yet!):flowers: Recently a friend suddenly after 20 years of having absolutely no wish to jump has decided she really wants to now and is going off for a lesson on a school master, I did offer her Loki but she was quite quick to decline :laugh: So you never know the urge may suprise you one day :biggrin:

Fab lesson report Gooster :biggrin: Sounds like you may need to start looking round for a trailer, that sounds horrible what has happened to your instructors friend :unsure:

Flatwork pics are up, there are some nice ones if you ignore the lump on top, nothing I can justify buying though!

Shoulder in no stirrups and reins in one hand, my trainer is mean :D

Pic 1

Pic 2

Hind leg actually coming under in canter :biggrin:

Pic 3

Gooster Trooper is a real gent so felt confident riding him without stirrups, maybe not so on others :rolleyes:

Isnt it great having a good lesson, don’t you just come away on a high and brilliant news about your boots, im sure you cant wait to get them shortened.

Bad news about your trailer, would they not let you have it now and they can wait for new one, hope their horse was ok after doing all that damage :GroupHug:

Clare I think if someone could guarantee the horse would jump over it exactly as it should I would give it a go but I have awful thoughts in the back of my head of horse stopping and me tipping off or running out, silly I know but maybe some day :unsure:

Loki and you both look fab in the pics and he always looks so clean, do you spend hours grooming him and keeping him tidy?

He's not an 'orse, he's a very norty boy........

04042011510.jpg

This is Pegasus, he's one of the riding school horses that we use for the Ride High programme, and I think I'm ever so very slightly in lurv... He's got the most wonderful moustache (as do many of the cobs at the stables, even though they live out 24/7) and is rather naughty - they were supposed to have been doing trots to the rear of the ride - he got the first bit right - but wouldn't stop at the end of the ride - he just kept going, and going, round and round....... Luckily his rider saw the funny side, but I did have visions of having to throw myself infront of him to get him to stop! LOL

He's not an 'orse, he's a very norty boy........

04042011510.jpg

This is Pegasus, he's one of the riding school horses that we use for the Ride High programme, and I think I'm ever so very slightly in lurv... He's got the most wonderful moustache (as do many of the cobs at the stables, even though they live out 24/7) and is rather naughty - they were supposed to have been doing trots to the rear of the ride - he got the first bit right - but wouldn't stop at the end of the ride - he just kept going, and going, round and round....... Luckily his rider saw the funny side, but I did have visions of having to throw myself infront of him to get him to stop! LOL

Waving a packet of mints has excellent results...in stopping a cob in full flight