UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Found the pics Clare they are fantastic, what a lovely course and don't you both look brilliant!

I'm not sure if you are tipping forward on some these pics, it looks more as if you are chasing him a bit. You did say he was a bit sticky, maybe you were 'riding' at the fence instead of letting it come in the rhythm?

Got some pics of Blue tonight. He wasn't in a posing mood, but I got some anyway!!!

9ec9cd8c.jpg

0162e323.jpg

Do you think he still looks a bit porky? I know he has lost weight as his girth has gone up a hole, but when you see them every day it is difficult to judge!!

He's got the right hump with you hasn't he?

I'd agree, he does look as if he could still loose a bit - he's 'wintered well' hasn't he?

I'm off for a tour of Spillers Mars feed mill later this morning with the Ride High girls :)

Oh Bugger!!!!!! Wanda (Miss Sicknote) is broken!

Rude words *****************************!

First thing was her saddle is wrong, it was slapping me up the bum so is wagging, then I find tweaky spots on her back, THEN I realise she is not moving just right and is tight in her sacro illiac. THEN I think she is a bit skippy from canter to trot, suspect she has hock pain!!!!! Argh!!!!!!!!!

She is off the horsepital tomorrow for x-rays etc, etc, etc/loads of money.

My fault for mentioning dressage I suppose!

Oh noooooo!!! Poor Wanda - I definitely think she heard the dressage word!!

Have you had a physio/mctimoney person out to her?

I took the plunge and drove to Saddles Direct yesterday. The woman was really helpful and let me sit on lots of different saddles to find one I was comfortable in. I really liked the Jessica, so once I have saved up, will be getting one of those I think.

Hacked Blue out yesterday, and one think I have noticed when we are hacking, is that he seems to stumble a bit on uneven ground. I am wondering whether it's because he has mainly done schooling for the last 18 months, so he has got used to working on a school surface and forgotten how to walk on uneven surfaces. His feet were only done about 3 weeks ago, and aren't looking too long. He doesn't seem to stumble in the school :unsure: He also tends to stumble with his right foreleg, which he is also constantly trying to itch as well with his nose. He has always had an itchy right leg when ridden since I have had him and physios/vets don't seem overly concerned about it. He tends to do it more when he is out hacking as well, or free walking in the school. Am wondering if there is some link between the two :unsure:

Aww Blue how rude of your mummy to post pics of your bum and tum and not your face :laugh: May be a little portly (who am I to comment :rolleyes: ) but not too bad :biggrin:

Not sure regarding the tripping, first thought was long toes but not that, may be see if it improves with more hacking :flowers:

Really hope Wanda's test come back with nothing serious and she can get back to her diva best :wub:

Physio gave Loki pretty much a clean bill of health, tightness in his glutes but felt weakness related rather than restriction. Muscle all even and strong.

He is however still being very frustrating to ride and feels very odd in left canter, last night schooling was a writeoff as he was refusing to go into the bottom half of the school in a sensible fashion so ended up circling everytime he thought he was spook and run, I think we must have done about 500 circles in the end :wacko:

On Tuesday one of the ponies pushed the slip down into the next field as I was on my way to bring in, once in the other field the two ponies stuck their heads down to eat whereas Loki spotted me and charged round circling me then every now and again would stop to fly buck on the spot (very Spanish riding school :rolleyes: )and squeal and off he'd go again, I just sat on a fence admiring how pretty he looked (and checking his shoes were staying on :laugh: ) then he wandered over to say come on then what you waiting for.

So I think (and hope!) it may just be spring grass fever causing tension through his body and nothing more sinister. I lunged him this morning and he looked fine. Lesson tomorrow and have no doubt T will get to the bottom of whats going on one way or another, its priceless having a fantastic trainer.

Wanda has had horsepital visit and x-rays are very little changed from two years ago so mild arthritis in RH and very mild in LH. She was one tenth lame on LH and two tenths lame on RH after flexion so far from major. She had steriods in both hocks, is on two days box rest then 4 weeks hacking, she can trot after two weeks.

Steroids make her BONKERS big style so the problem re anyone else riding her has solved itself rather neatly. Yellow horse stayed in to babysit but Wanda had the most amazing temper tantrum ever when the other two went out. She was bounding round the box, charging the door and then went into mega weave and was literally leaving the ground with each foot as she swayed manically from side to side! The only way to deal with this stuff is to ignore and just leave her to it, when she has lost her audience she soon gives it up.

Riding her will be interesting come Monday, last time she was seriously into airs above ground and capriole was her favourite. It's an unusual view of another horse when you are actually looking down on it! :biggrin: Unfortunately Wanda's antics can excede her athletic capability at times so some hair raising hacks are on the cards.

Good luck with the box rest and hacking, sounds like you are going to have fun :unsure:

Sounds like Loki is liking the spring grass, hopefully that is all his 'oddness' is.

Got some pics of Blue's face today as requested :biggrin:

214b0068.jpg

Saying hello to a chicken

d0079663.jpg

Pulling his Tongue out at me

daf49986.jpg

Pegasus :wub:

Clare piccies look great :wink: and Loki sounds like a lot of fun atm :wub:

Gooster glad your kneecaps are still in one piece and well done Blue, every little bit is an achievement and you are a very handsome boy :wub:

Awww hope Wanda can stay calm whilst indoors :wub:

Had lessons last Friday and Saturday, then had hack on Sunday at different yard. Lovely weather for it too.

Had another lesson on Wednesday, was on Trooper , we were cantering 20m circles and doing canter poles and having another lesson tomorrow :comic19:

Have fun tomorrow CP, am sure Milo will look after you!! Pictures needed :biggrin:

Glad you're still enjoying your lessons EAD, we can't do pole work with Blue as he tends to spook at them. Last year my instructor lined some poles up each side of the centre line to try and help it be straighter. It didn't help at all as he kept spooking from one pole, then realised there was another horse eating pole next to it. We ended up zig zagging down the centre line :rolleyes: :laugh:

Edited by gooster

Well im home and alive :laugh:

No in all seriousness, Milo was such a good boy today. He loaded straight on the lorry and came down the ramp nice and slowly when we arrived (I d predicted that he'd launch himself from the lorry to the floor :laugh:) and was so well mannered and calm whilst we were getting ready despite being surrounded by horses.

The ride was huge, the field was packed full of horseboxes and trailers, I think they said 650 people do the ride! It was 10 miles and took me 2 and a half hours. It was fantasitcly run and so well organised. There were long sections where you had to go off into the woods where you had to go at a more chilled pace which I liked because we didnt have lots of speedy people going past. Then all the jumps were in a more open setting with people sat marshalling the fences incase there were any problems.

When we were walking a few people trotted or cantered past us on quite narrow tracks and he didnt bat an eyelid. He jumped everything I asked him to, even a ditch! He started off jumping really nice and sedately but as the ride progessed he got too full of himself with the jumping and kept taking off so after a telling off from me we did the rest of the jumps at a trot and he was much better and chilled out!

Thoroughly enjoyable day. I have to say the scariest bit of it was having my dad drive the lorry!! NEVER AGAIN!!!!