UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Pegasus is absolutely gorgeous, cobs have a right to be norty!

Clare, super pics, can't belive how he just continues to mature, he looks so much more established in his way of going.

Minor crit on the pictures, you are tipping forward a tad, get the shoulders over the hips and it will be brilliant, apart from that your seat has improved fantastically and you are looking VERY professional.

Expecting to see you two in the big time before long!

Minor crit on the pictures, you are tipping forward a tad, get the shoulders over the hips and it will be brilliant

I know I do it I am just find it hard to stop, I actually thought I was sitting up much better on Saturday but then I saw the pics, I really need to give with my hands more too which I guess will come when I stop launching forward :rolleyes:

The instructor did have some really good tips for me that I hadn't heard before so hopefully I can work on it this week at the hunter trial :biggrin: This is a new instructor who is visiting the area once a month, she is in the same training programme as my dressage teacher so if she can help me half as much as T I will be overjoyed! Her basic ethos of jumping is all you need is good balence and a good partnership with your horse - I like that ethos :biggrin:

Oh my hello Pegasus :wub: :wub:

:ohmy: Oh dear, it looks as though the lady on our yard is going to struggle with new horse. Have to admit seen it coming is very much in my mind. Nothing wrong with horse but he's a big boy, 17.1, TB x Shire and now he's not a broken down underfed wreck he is a tad opinionated to say the least. He went into trot in the arena and was fairly forward and she just did not cope at all. She is very novicey and unbalanced but was just so desperate for a horse she would have bought anything. YO Sam went to see him with her but she just went ahead and did the deal without discussion! He put the wind up her big style so she may reconsider her future with him, he will sell on every day of the week though as he is a super type and does not need a hugely experienced rider, just not a nervous novice! The owner is such a nice person but a bit of a loose cannon with horses, she buys with her eyes not her ability! I have doubts if she will get on him again and that would be the best outcome, I can see an accident waiting to happen here!

I know it sounds obvious but did she have him seen by a vet to make sure 'both' bits were removed when gelded....he sounds a bit coltish?

:ohmy: Oh dear, it looks as though the lady on our yard is going to struggle with new horse. Have to admit seen it coming is very much in my mind. Nothing wrong with horse but he's a big boy, 17.1, TB x Shire and now he's not a broken down underfed wreck he is a tad opinionated to say the least. He went into trot in the arena and was fairly forward and she just did not cope at all. She is very novicey and unbalanced but was just so desperate for a horse she would have bought anything. YO Sam went to see him with her but she just went ahead and did the deal without discussion! He put the wind up her big style so she may reconsider her future with him, he will sell on every day of the week though as he is a super type and does not need a hugely experienced rider, just not a nervous novice! The owner is such a nice person but a bit of a loose cannon with horses, she buys with her eyes not her ability! I have doubts if she will get on him again and that would be the best outcome, I can see an accident waiting to happen here!

Uh oh. It is so easy for heart to rule head when you go looking at horses. However 17.1 is absolutely huge for a nervy rider to cope with. I am happy with 14.1 Blue - that's far enough to fall!!!!

Have sent my boots off to be shortened, had a call to say they have received them and it will cost me about £30 to get them shortened and widened a touch!! Can't wait to get them back :biggrin:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever swapped from a steel bit to a sweet iron and copper bit? The reason I ask is that Blue loves to chew on certain metals, but doesn't seem keen to mouth his steel bit unless he has a sugar lump before a schooling session (then he foams up loads). Have seen a sweet iron and copper hanging cheek that I was thinking of trying, but just after opinions on whether anyone had noticed any difference in their horse by changing :unsure:

I hope everyone was riding and enjoying the sun over the weekend!

MY SPONSORED RIDE IS ON SUNDAY WOOOOO. Im so excited :biggrin:

Had a lesson on Saturday and instructor pointed out that my lower leg position has gone out the window again. Its a bad habit ive devolped with Milo, I tend to brace against the stirrups and then my lower leg sits too far forward and i point my toes out :laugh: Im really aware of it so most of the time am able to correct it but when im concentrating so much on him and his way of going I stop concentrating about myself! It doesnt help either that ive got a GP saddle so I lean on on the knee rolls...suppose id best get looking at dressage saddles!!

Ooh have fun on Sunday :flowers:

Hope everyone made the most of the lovely weather this weekend and had good lessons / hacks :biggrin:

I did a hunter trial yesterday and was very pleased with the boy. I wasn't sure whether to do it as he felt a bit crocked last week and has been really spooky and silly. I couldn't decide it if was spring grass sillyness or whether something was bothering him.

Walked the course on Saturday and it was up again from anything we had done before, there were quite a few complexes which included drops or steps and then fences, there was a rail to ditch, and had to jump down and out of the water. Had a slight shock as on Saturday there was this concrete square that you had to go down a slope into and then jump a fence out, and when I turned to it yesterday they had filled it up with water :laugh:

He went clear but didn't hang round for the results as they were taking a while, I would think we weren't quick enough to get placed, as he was so spooky between fences to start with I was constantly trying to get some control :rolleyes: Physio out tonight to check him, I am still concerned he might be feeling something as he did put in a few short strides when jumping where normally he would have taken a flyer.

But another xc clear, roll on Mattingly :biggrin:

There are pics here Pics can't direct link but they are under Rosehill HWRC Class 4, pages 14 to 17. Still tipping forward too much grrrr :rolleyes:

Bugger, can't find your pics Clare!

I have a problem!!!!! The lady who has the massive horsey and is a nervous novice had been riding Wanda prior to her having some lady type surgery, (lady not Wanda). Wanda is a gem with novices but this lady's unbalanced weight and lack of ability has not done Wanda any favours at all, Wanda was taking the p*** big style and has taken some hard work to put her back in place and get her belly off the floor.

Horse physio who was a people physio before and also has had similar surgery said to her that riding a strange horse post surgery and not that long ago is not a good idea and she should go back to riding Wanda!!! I do not want that but how on earth do I tell her sorry, no longer available? Wanda is now working up to a dressage comp and I don't want her messing up, she is also a lot sharper than she was which is what I want!

Lady is the nicest person ever but has very little ability having come in to riding in her 40s, but she honestly thinks she is very near to Sam's and my riding ability and that in riding Wanda she is doing me a super favour! I did think about offering once a week but in a lesson situation only, what would you do?

Cookies for anyone who got this far! :biggrin:

Oh no what a nightmare :wacko:

Tell her that you really appreciate her riding Wanda for you but at the moment you really want to get her focussed for the dressage and that she needs consistancy so its best if she sticks to the same rider :biggrin:

Well done Clare and Loki :flowers: Hope all goes well with the physio!

We've got 2 new horseys arrivng at the yard at the weekend, 2 Clydesdales - my dad is now super excited because he really wants to learn to ride but as yet we havnt known anyone with a horse big enough - but maybe he'll get a chance now :laugh:

Found your pics...I think they look great page 14 pic 1739 is ace....:)

Ooh have fun on Sunday :flowers:

Hope everyone made the most of the lovely weather this weekend and had good lessons / hacks :biggrin:

I did a hunter trial yesterday and was very pleased with the boy. I wasn't sure whether to do it as he felt a bit crocked last week and has been really spooky and silly. I couldn't decide it if was spring grass sillyness or whether something was bothering him.

Walked the course on Saturday and it was up again from anything we had done before, there were quite a few complexes which included drops or steps and then fences, there was a rail to ditch, and had to jump down and out of the water. Had a slight shock as on Saturday there was this concrete square that you had to go down a slope into and then jump a fence out, and when I turned to it yesterday they had filled it up with water :laugh:

He went clear but didn't hang round for the results as they were taking a while, I would think we weren't quick enough to get placed, as he was so spooky between fences to start with I was constantly trying to get some control :rolleyes: Physio out tonight to check him, I am still concerned he might be feeling something as he did put in a few short strides when jumping where normally he would have taken a flyer.

But another xc clear, roll on Mattingly :biggrin:

There are pics here Pics can't direct link but they are under Rosehill HWRC Class 4, pages 14 to 17. Still tipping forward too much grrrr :rolleyes:

Edited by grace

First of all I dont think the physo should be suggesting someone elses horse !! Id be livid... Its your horse afterall I dont think you need to make up an excuse, just tell her Wanda is too fit for her now and competing so cant be confused by too many riders...

I have a problem!!!!! The lady who has the massive horsey and is a nervous novice had been riding Wanda prior to her having some lady type surgery, (lady not Wanda). Wanda is a gem with novices but this lady's unbalanced weight and lack of ability has not done Wanda any favours at all, Wanda was taking the p*** big style and has taken some hard work to put her back in place and get her belly off the floor.

Horse physio who was a people physio before and also has had similar surgery said to her that riding a strange horse post surgery and not that long ago is not a good idea and she should go back to riding Wanda!!! I do not want that but how on earth do I tell her sorry, no longer available? Wanda is now working up to a dressage comp and I don't want her messing up, she is also a lot sharper than she was which is what I want!

Lady is the nicest person ever but has very little ability having come in to riding in her 40s, but she honestly thinks she is very near to Sam's and my riding ability and that in riding Wanda she is doing me a super favour! I did think about offering once a week but in a lesson situation only, what would you do?

Cookies for anyone who got this far! :biggrin:

Sorry link didn't take you as far as I thought it did. Top tab says Horse Event Gallery, and then its the first one HWRC Hunter trial, then class 4, then pages 14 - 17. Don't look you'll only dispair at my repeated dodgey jumping postion :D

I am with Grace on what to do about the lady riding Wanda, she is your horse and preparing for a dressage comp is more than reasonable explanation :flowers:

I agree with Clare and grace, tell the lady that as you are working towards a dressage comp that you don't really want to confuse Wanda by putting someone else on her.

Sounds like everyone has been busy in the sun, well done on the clear round Clare :biggrin:

I love my dressage saddle CP, I can't ride in a GP saddle now. My dressage saddle has a lovely deep seat and feels really secure. I always think that if I am riding in a GP and blue decides to rear or something, that I'll slide off the back!!!

Finally sold my bargain dressage saddle yesterday, so I have £262 towards getting one properly fitted!! Am still toying between getting a larger wintec isabell or an ideal Jessica. Saddles direct have a showroom about half an hour away from me and have one of each in stock, so am tempted to have a drive up there and sit in each to see how I feel in them, before getting one fitted.

Had an ace lesson on Blue yesterday, it was really warm, so we did most of the work in short ish bursts with walking in-between to give us both a break. After realising the game 'try and take mum's kneecaps off on the fence' was not acceptable, he worked really nicely AND we managed a full circuit round the school in canter on each rein, with a lovely transition up and a balanced one back down again when I asked :biggrin: I know this is a little achievement compared to riding XC, but for us this is a huge step :)