UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Good news here, Milo got a gleaming report from the Chiro on Monday morning :wub:

Gerry absoloutely fell in love with him - if Milo ever goes missing I know the first place im going to look :laugh:

He helped release a few tense bit in his neck and on his shoulder but he said it was hardly anything at all, nothing major. He said that his back, neck and ligaments etc are all brilliant and he said that the extension of his front legs and the flexion/rotation through his hips is the best he's ever seen in a cob :biggrin: I was so pleased.

Ive managed to wangle a day off work tomorrow, I think a nice long hack is required :rolleyes:

Blue has noo shoes on :biggrin:

Farrier said he was really good, said he was sore on his foot with the missing shoe, which I knew already. She also said he'd had an abscess on his back off side (is that right hind or left hind?), but it is fine now and dried out :unsure: I don't remember him being proper lame apart from when he went out in the field and ran round like an idiot with his new mates for 2 hours and hurt his leg. Then again farriers have found him to have traces of abscess before when he hasn't been lame. Maybe my pony is just well'ard!!

Well there's a thing, the horse that Wanda's sharer was going to buy and the vendor changed her mind has come back on the market! He passed the vetting yesterday and is being collected tomorrow! Can't wait to see him, he's shire x TB.

I'm just not sure how good a 17.2 is for a nervous novice, having said that some very big horses are quiet.

From what ive heard about shire crosses is that they can be really stubborn. But I guess it does depend on each individual! :flowers:

Had a good lesson on Friday evening , my instructor said it was the best shes seen him so far, she said his trot looked really relaxed and he was actually in a true outline rather than going round with his chin on his chest. Then we went out for a nice relaxing hack yesterday and he was well behaved again. Think we're definately getting there :biggrin:

My experience of Shires and their crosses is never assume anything - they can just as likely take after the 'non shire' side. Loveliest, most forward going horse I ever road was a roan shire cross called Esther.

Re lameness - if a horse is lame in two diagonal feet, they can well appear sound

Good boy milo :wub: Sounds like it is definitely coming together for you both.

Blue now appears to be sound :biggrin: Therefore operation 'get lardy bum pony fit' can begin. I didn't do anything with him today, just put him in the field, as he was still lame last night, so didn't want to risk working him. Might experiment with the horsewalker on Tuesday when I am off. Will make sure I have my steel toe capped boots and riding hat on for that, just in case he throws a strop!!

I remember the showjupmer Wiston Bridget, she was Shire x TB but looked very shire, she was incredibly strong and frequently carted her rider but had an awsome jump! Ralph does come with a really good CV and is an anyones ride sort of chap, just hope that he is!

Wanda is in bouncy bucky bugger off mode and has added a front leg strike out going into canter to the mix. It's horrible to sit on as she is not very good at it she then goes into tranter which is equally horrible. She will soon settle down again I hope! :biggrin: It's really good being able to ride again, I still have a tweak or two but the main chuck your leg over the horse bit is fine and that was the main problem.

My shetlands are doing well Lilli is very nearly the same size as Banner who is chucking her coat out like snow! Lilli has real attitude and is a bit of a biter, we are ignoring as much as possible but if spotted in time gets a flick on the nose. YO Sam has raised a horrible thought, she was wondering if Banner's previous owner had let the stallion back in with her on the foaling heat, I do hope not! :wacko:

Oh no - baby shetties :laugh:

Got the farrier coming at 8am tomorrow morning...groan...

I have a friend who keeps ponies and has recently got herself a trailer and wants a show-companion. Trouble is that she does showing - I would go with her but I dont have a clue :laugh: I will be getting Milo hogged and clipped in the next weeks anyway (he looks like a hairy bear now) but wouldnt know where to start with tack. Anyone who has ever shown a coloured cob any advice would be useful!

It would only be very local level where there are no bit/heigh restriction. From looking at photos I guess he needs a hunter bridle, one of the ones with a big wide noseband? And all the riders seem to be in tweed jackets - or would I get away with a black jacket?

At least it would get us out and id get to see what he was like without having to panic and doing jumping or anything. And everyone comments on how handsome he is so I think he'd look lovely all beautified :wub: Im just a bit reluctant at the moment because I wouldnt know what to expect!!

A black jacket isn't strictly correct but you would probably get away with it at local shows, if he's hogged he must have his tail pulled. Again to be correct his tack should be brown but I do like piebalds in black and you would be ok smaller shows if your tack is black. Check out how he looks in various weights of bridle, a too wide noseband does spoil the look of the face, and too thin looks awful. Presentation in a huge part of showing and the turnout of yourself and Milo must be absolutely top notch! Showing is hard work!

You could take him in cob classes of course and you may be able to do riding horse but if the main entry is more the TB or sports horse types judges can ignore the cobs. There are a lot of coloured clasess going on too those would be worth a shot. Why not go along as groom for a couple of shows and weigh things up!

To begin with, I'd do in hand classes with him to see how he is. I mainly do in hand with Blue, as he is really good and gets placed well in hand, but he gets nappy and behaves like a little git when ridden. At our last show where we did ridden and in hand, he got 2nd in hand, but got placed last in ridden as he was a little git and refused to canter. It was the same judge for both classes, against pretty much the same horses!! The judge said she really liked him, but couldn't place him as he refused to canter!

The show im looking at going to is a real novice fun show - theyve got a class for coloureds (ridden or inhand) and then I could also do best condition grass kept (inhand) and most handsome gelding (inhand).

I think i'll stick with black tack and see if I can get hold of a bridle and a tweed jacket. What colour hat would go with a tweed jacket? Do they wear ties or stocks?

I think it will be good fun but like you say PW, a lot of work. Pulling his tail will be an experience - its so thick!! My other aim (if I can get him fit enough) is to do a 10 mile sponsored ride in April so we'll see how things go. I dont think I'll have time for everything :laugh:

Fantastic you are back in the saddle PW :partytime:

Glad Blue has all his shoes on again, hope the horse walker went well today and steel toe caps weren't put into action!

What show are you thinking of doing CP? Navy or green hat with twead I think, though guess it depends on what colour twead you get, showing lark confuses me :laugh:

I had a good lesson on Sunday at the very early hour of 9am at my trainer's yard :tired: She sat on him to see how to tackle the canter, she sat on him for ten minutes and I get back a completely different (and very lovely!) horse, he did some of the best canter work ever, now all I need to do is get my act together so I can get the same result!

Starting to panic a bit as haven't jumped for ages, and need flatwork lessons but also need jumping lessons and can't afford both. Its so hard to jump at home as rules say I have to have a helper on the floor and in the week I am the only one down, and I do not want to take him in the school at the weekend as we are stuck in there all week. We haven't jumped since November :blush02:

Good boy Loki :wub:

Could you not alternate between jumping one time then flatwork the next? Also, is there anyone at the farm who can give you a bit of help on flatwork? On my last farm there was a great teenager who was an amazing rider and teacher. Every now and again I'd ask her to watch us in the school and she'd suggest exercises etc to get him working better.

Not been on the horsewalker today, it has been throwing it down all day, and didn't fancy the idea of trying to get him on the horsewalker, on my own in the rain and then standing there for 30 mins in the rain to make sure he didn't freak out! Am going straight to the farm once I have been to the dentist (booooo!!!), so will lunge him tonight, and try the horsewalker at the weekend when I can rope my mum in to help!!