UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Feebe is beautiful Sarah :wub: :wub:

Good news about Earl :flowers:

Hope Bumble is on the mend :flowers:

Things are ticking along with us, I have used the HO twice now and I really like the way it encourage them to work, I generally don't use lunging gadgets as he tends to get tense but in this he is lovely and loose and I think swinging through his back quite well :biggrin:

She is stunning. wub.gif

Hope that all other horses lumps, bumps and other ailments are soon sorted with relatively painfree bank balances. ( Those 2 really don't go together!!!rolleyes.gif )

Sending DON'T BE A GIT thought to Blue!!!!laugh.gif

Edited by greys mum

Hope the dressage goes well Gooster :flowers:

Hope Earl is back on track :)

I am probably asking for trouble sharing this but I hope to attempt to do some dressage next Sunday, if he doesn't break in the meantime :rolleyes: Not expecting to score well, but think it will do us both good to get back into it, as its been a year since out last outing :ohmy:

Where's Reds, we haven't had a C or Duke update in ages :wub:

Earl's saddle has been altered and ive got him a front riser pad (as instructed to by the saddler), and now the saddle sits too high :laugh: He said it should squash down after its been ridden in a few times but if not I need to buy a general comfort pad instead.

I had the vet out on Thursday to give Earl his yearly jabs and do a teeth check, all was fine!

Ive been doing some lungeing with Earl to try and focus on doing some more schooling and suppling to help his back, exept hes absoloutely terrified of the lunge whip and as soon as you start letting him go out on the circle he breaks into trot and wont come back to walk. So today I dropped the whip in an attempt to slow him down, he wasn't so bad but still very reluctant to come back into walk. This is the first time ive done lungeing with him so maybe he's had a bad experience with lungeing before?? :wacko:

My instructor said I should try using a pessoa on him as he's very lazy and doesn't work from behind, any words of advice about them? Ive spoken to a few people who all have differing opinions!

Bumble is exactely the same on the lunge, hes terrified of the whip and same as you i can only think hes had a bad fright or been hit with one. I can now use a schooling whip providing i make no sudden moves with it. I use it to keep him out in the circle otherwise he turns in and stands but by pointing the whip towards his shoulder it keeps him on the circle nicely. Even someone carrying a lunge whip scares him. I hate it when someone in the past has instilled such fear in them :angry:

Edited by collies r best

Well, we did our dressage on Sunday. It was raining really heavily, so we both got quite wet!! We got to the venue quite early to give him plenty of time to settle down and for me to work him in, and thankfully our instructor was there to read for us and help me with warming him up. We had to warm up in a field, and then the arena was at the other side of the car park, which meant the first time he got to look at everything was when we were trotting round waiting for the horn to beep, which was interesting. He had settled quite nicely in the warm up area, however as soon as we got into the arena for the test, his eyes went on stalks :rolleyes:

As he was nosing at everything, he wouldn't drop into a contact at all, but I managed to get him to relax slightly for the start of the test - and he stayed relaxed until we tracked right after going down the centre line, when someone appeared at the side of the arena with a huge blue and yellow brolly - cue huge spook:angry: I managed to ride him through that, but the arena is at the side of a bridle path, and someone went trotting along the bridle path on their horse, which surprised Blue again :rolleyes: Then at C, there is a cabin where there are toilets, and someone with a bright red coat went in there just as we went round the corner, which caught his eye again!!! So it wasn't the best test I have ridden, and he wasn't at all bendy, but we still got 62% and came 4th biggrin.gif Found out when I got home that the winner got 65%, so if he hadn't been so spooky and nosy, we'd have probably won it :rolleyes: My only aim for the day though was to get over 60%, as that was the score he got last time we did that test!!

However he is now in the bad books as he was really naughty for our lesson this morning. He was walking and trotting sideways, threatening to rear, spin, and just be a git :angry: In the end, I had to ask Claire to get on him, as I could feel my confidence disappearing rapidly. She got on him and made him work really hard. He tried it on with her a few times, but she took no messing and got him listening to her, then I got back on him at the end of the lesson and had a walk and trot around the arena. He usually gets a few polos at the end of a lesson when he has been good, but he didn't get one today as he had been so naughty, so he kept trying to mug me and Claire for polos!!! He's such a git :rolleyes:

Just got back from evening dressage, talk about late! It was at a venue we don't go to much as the surface is not brilliant and the working in is tight. Sam was before me with Kim who was at her absolute silliest, she was tight, tense and titupped round as if her feet were on fire. The jumps stacked at one end of the arena were ok on the left rein but mega scary on the right and to cap it all she shrieked for Wanda the entire time, I could hear Sam laughing!

Wanda upon realising Sam and Kim has disappeared worked herself into a bit of a state and did a fair bit of unintentional passage but some serious trot work settled her apart from the occasional deafening reply to Kim! We had to pass Kim on her way out to get into the arena so that freaked both horses out for some reason. Wanda's test felt awful, she was lumbering like a camel in canter and was trying to stop in some of the trot! A pony club kick encouraged her forwards a bit more but it was far from good! Kim scored 54% and Wanda to my amazment had 60%, I'm convinced the judge got the wrong horse! :laugh:

On Thursday Wanda is going jump schooling at the same venue, we can hire the arena and jumps for £20 an hour. That should cheer her up a bit, she thinks the dressage lark is seriously boring!

Well done Gooster sounds like loads of potential for red rossettes soon :biggrin: I think the grass has shot through again so that may be the cause of Blue's sharpness, Loki has been a spooky bugger in the last week.

Aww Wanda, even when you are being diva-ish you still charm the dressage judge :laugh: I agree with her, Thursday sounds a much more fun :laugh:

I jumped Loki for the first time in ages on Sunday, it was quite exciting the only way I could stop the charge and hurdle approach was to put the jump up to a decent height (for me!) thankfully he did it nicely first time and then I finished :laugh: Should have really been practising my dressage test :blush02:

Well the jumping was great fun if rather hot indoors! It's the first time I've really jumped since the new knee and was convinced it would cause me endless problems but of course it didn't! Sam and Kim had a little pop too, Sam is more than a bit wary when jumping Kim as she has EMS and has had huge problems with the associated laminitis but it was all fine!

Got home and turned them out, Wanda had a big drink then rounded everyone up and demanded they all leg it up to the top field, she is a bossy madam!

Our next trick is a dressage clinic (har har) on 21st June, we pick a test and the lady doing the clinic then has a right go at you critiques your performance and takes you through bits to improve how you ride it, should be interesting. Sam described our horses on the phone as Kim is a freak and Wanda a donkey, judgely type person could not stop laughing!

Hope you don't ache too much Louise :biggrin:

Fab news your knee stood up to jumping PW :flowers: I've done a few of those type of dressage clinic and found them really interesting.

Today was Loki's return to action, having wrapped him in cotton wool the last few days he was bathed and ready to go

Photo0000-1.jpg

I really pleased with him, I think one of the best tests we have ever done and I was so proud :wub:

A few pics of warm up

DSCN2041.jpg

Looking far too happy to be preparing for dressage :laugh:

DSCN2032.jpg

And the test

It was our first Prelim win :biggrin: We got 64% and 2nd place was 59%, and I thought the second horse was a world apart so was really shocked to finish in front of him :ohmy:

Great to have my boy back :wub: