UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Had the vet out today to sedate for the dentist. I rode first thing and he didn't feel too good after being fab on Sunday, but put it down to him being a bit footy from his shoeing on Monday.

Trotted him up for the vet and he is lame on his near hind :banghead: I am pretty speachless to be honest, that leg had never been an issue before :blink:

Gentle hacking for a few days and see how he looks at the end of the week, if no better than further investigations :rolleyes:

Poor YM came over to ask how he'd got on and had hysterical crying livery :blush02: Not the end of the world I know but just so stressful and frustrating.

Ive had an interesting week this week..

We had a bloke move onto the yard 3 weeks ago with a sort of welsh pony and a shetland pony. We thought he'd be a problem because the first day he arrived he pinched our feed buckets...

Various other things happened...he lied about the fact that both ponies are broken to ride (both are 3 years old and are most definately not broken), that he wanted to 'bring them on' when he doesn't have the first clue about horses and we caught him with the larger pony on (our) lunge line making it canter round like a nutter, the larger pony trashed the entire field full of electric fencing...etc etc etc..We didn't mind that he was inexperienced as everyone has to start somewhere but when he starting pinching things and blatantly lying we got a bit suspicious.

Last week he told the YO he thought the shetland might be in foal. He had the vet out who confirmed she is 10 months pregnant so due in a month. The YO hit the roof, as she doesn't have the facilities to cater for birthing a pony and having a foal and would never have let him come to the yard if she had known.

So she gave him the number of a friend of hers who's more experienced in that sort of thing and told him to ring her straight away so she could give him advice. She waited 2 days and heard nothing.

Bearing in mind this shetland is only 3 years old, lives out unrugged all year, doesn't get any hard feed and hay only once in a blue moon because the owner lost his liscence for drink driving so only comes to the yard when he can get a lift, it was verging on cruelty really.

So after waiting for a week for him to sort himself out and do something about this poor shetland and hearing nothing, the YO gave him his weeks notice last night and he was gone this morning, I think they've taken the ponies to their back garden :ohmy:

So now me and Earl are back to being the only liveries at the yard..peace and quiet again!!

Ive had an interesting week this week..

We had a bloke move onto the yard 3 weeks ago with a sort of welsh pony and a shetland pony. We thought he'd be a problem because the first day he arrived he pinched our feed buckets...

Various other things happened...he lied about the fact that both ponies are broken to ride (both are 3 years old and are most definately not broken), that he wanted to 'bring them on' when he doesn't have the first clue about horses and we caught him with the larger pony on (our) lunge line making it canter round like a nutter, the larger pony trashed the entire field full of electric fencing...etc etc etc..We didn't mind that he was inexperienced as everyone has to start somewhere but when he starting pinching things and blatantly lying we got a bit suspicious.

Last week he told the YO he thought the shetland might be in foal. He had the vet out who confirmed she is 10 months pregnant so due in a month. The YO hit the roof, as she doesn't have the facilities to cater for birthing a pony and having a foal and would never have let him come to the yard if she had known.

So she gave him the number of a friend of hers who's more experienced in that sort of thing and told him to ring her straight away so she could give him advice. She waited 2 days and heard nothing.

Bearing in mind this shetland is only 3 years old, lives out unrugged all year, doesn't get any hard feed and hay only once in a blue moon because the owner lost his liscence for drink driving so only comes to the yard when he can get a lift, it was verging on cruelty really.

So after waiting for a week for him to sort himself out and do something about this poor shetland and hearing nothing, the YO gave him his weeks notice last night and he was gone this morning, I think they've taken the ponies to their back garden ohmy.gif

So now me and Earl are back to being the only liveries at the yard..peace and quiet again!!

Why do people insist on keeping ponies when they know they cant cope with them... he would have been better signing them over to a rescue

• 3 weeks later...

How is everyone doing?

We are now on summer turnout on our farm, so they are allowed out all day now, but still have to come in at night. Blue tends to go out really early with his friend Ru and gets most of the day out. He has really mellowed now he is getting to go out and play!!!

We went to a show a couple of weeks ago, it was on the Sunday, and only decided I was going on Friday night! Just decided to do in hand classes this time, as he can sometimes be a bit mad at a show, so decided to stay on the floor. We did 3 classes, best condition (which we didn't come anywhere in, as he had a scab on his legrolleyes.gif ), showing (which we didn't come anywhere in as he didn't have a pretty browband), and lastly the hunter pony class, which he came 3rd in!!! I was really pleased with him, and he behaved reasonably well and travelled wellbiggrin.gif

We were videoed in our lesson a couple of weeks ago. He was working amazingly well, until the camera was switched on, at which point he forgot how to work in an outline and went round like a llama! We had gone round on a loose rein for a couple of laps of the school, so I think he thought he had finished and switched off!!! Anyway hopefully

links to the video! Failing that, look on youtube for jayne and blue and we are at the top of the listbiggrin.gif

Blue is looking so well Gooster, he has come on such a lot :biggrin: He has a lovely rythmical trot :wub: and such a cheeky face :laugh: He does look a lovely stamp of a working hunter pony, so can see why he did well, do you think you might do more that route now?

I have given up giving reports on Loki as everyone must be getting fed up of yay he's right :biggrin: , oh actually no he is not :mecry: ...... :laugh: I certainly am :rolleyes:

So come on everyone else, what have you been up to :flowers:

Dare we ask how Loki is :unsure: :laugh:

Blue is lovely :biggrin:

Bumble has been a bit footy recently, he hasnt had lammi but i think its been a close call. As last time he had lammi we thought we were going to lose him i do get a touch paranoid about it :laugh: He also got loose and whilst he didnt gorge on grass [none there :rolleyes: ] he ate cow parsley and had the resulting burns all over his nose, very sore poor devil.Annie and my friends horse Chief are in lurve :rolleyes: and scream for each other continually if parted. So apart from one recovering and the other being a pain in the butt everythings fine :wacko:

Hope Bumble gets over his footiness and the dreaded L word doesn't show itself again :flowers:

Aww Annie is in lurve :laugh:

Loki is a law to himself really :rolleyes: I had a second opinion from another vet who said he was sound, but did see what I could feel in that he is not working properly behind.

He wondered if it was possible a tying up kind of thing but the bloods tests all came back fine so it is now thought to be a fitness / strengh issue.

After avoiding the suggestion for the last few months he is now on one bute a day to try and overide the tweaks and niggles he seems to be doing by being a pain playful in the field and the aim is to get him fit and stronger so these things hopefully don't keep happening.

My lovely OH treated him to a massage pad, honestly he really does get 5* treatment the least he could do was behave himself in the field :rolleyes:

I had my doubts but he really does seem to like it and falls asleep with it on :wub:

04052010.jpg

Ooo Blue is looking good! I do hope Bumble avoids the L word, there has been so much of it about already this summer.

Clare I wonder if you are in the same position I was in with Wanda, she had so much time off for one thing and another she just sort of sagged all over. Vet said to get her back in work asap, I lunged her for a couple of weeks in the Ho, it really does get them to lift their backs and engage behind and seeing as Wanda's behind was normally in the next county the difference was amazing. I still use it once or twice a week and coupled with some serious ridden work she is now pretty damn good!

We went to a dressage comp, first time in ages for Wanda and first time in 18 months for YO's Kim. We came well in the top half of 28 entries so were highly pleased with that. Fortunately both were back in the trailer when a rampant Friesian stallion came in to the warm up! He was very, er, excited and his manhood was swinging out from side to side and hitting him on his stifle! :ohmy: He then :blush02: started bashing it on his belly!!!! Had Wanda or Kim been there there would have been no holding them as they are mega tarts at the moment! :laughingsmiley: Once he started his test he did calm down and tidy himself up a bit!

Hoping that Loki's massage pad works wonders, he is certainly a lucky boy to be treated to one of thosebiggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif @ the stallion at the dressage show!

Well done Wanda for getting in the top half - that's fab!

We are still planning on doing our dressage on the 6th June, however can't find entry forms anywhere on the webwacko.gif In preparation, I schooled him tonight on my own - he worked really well for me. In one of the tests, he has to free walk to B, then trot between B and M, and then canter between M and C. Usually it takes him a while to wake up after a free walk, so getting him to canter so soon is usually a challenge!!!

A few things here..

I turned Earl out naked but he got eaten to death by the flies and had enormous bite lumps all over him so I got him a fly rug so he's been wearing that most of the time recently. Since he's been wearing it he's had zero fly bites compared to the millions he had before without it, so a much happier horsey!

I attempted sheath cleaning last week :wacko: which wasn't too traumatic, apart from the fact I discovered that Earl has a huge lump on the inside of his sheath, about the size of a small tomato. I know that he's a grey and theyre prone to getting lumps and bumps (he's got several under his tail that I knew about) but this lump is much much bigger than the others. Ive got the vet coming on the 3rd of June for Earls annual jabs/teeth check so im going to ask him about it when he comes.

In the last few weeks I decided to do some jumping with Earl, having spoken to his 'real' mum who assured me he liked jumping, which it appears he does. Aperently in his younger years he was hunted and with a previous owner he was taken out to show jumping shows regularly. My YO stood and watched me popping him over a jump in the school last week and said she'd never seen Earl so enthusiastic about anything! :laugh: Then last week I discovered that across the road from us theres a riding centre that holds show jumping at the weekends through the summer. I went down to have a look last weekend at what was going on as ive never done any horsey shows before. They do unaffiliated and bsja classes, the smallest being 2'6"-2'9" which I thought might be pushing it for an 18 year old horse...but they also have a 2'3" clear round class set up all day. I spoke to a friend who keeps her horse in the same area and she assured me that they too hack over and do the clear round and hack home again and that its a small show (there were 3 horseboxes there when I went) so ive decided to give it a go, so we're going next saturday...ARGH!! :rolleyes: