UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Thinking about Bradders and Rolo and going back to the saddle problem. I was looking through my old piccies and came across this one of me being presented with an English saddle made by Nathaniel Underwood for my gypsy vanner mare, who is built like a brick s..t house. That saddle was a dream to ride in and fitted her so well. We had quite a good discussion about saddles and fitting of same, very interesting.

HRH-1.jpg

Thinking about Bradders and Rolo and going back to the saddle problem. I was looking through my old piccies and came across this one of me being presented with an English saddle made by Nathaniel Underwood for my gypsy vanner mare, who is built like a brick s..t house. That saddle was a dream to ride in and fitted her so well. We had quite a good discussion about saddles and fitting of same, very interesting.

HRH-1.jpg

Here are some piccies of the old girl. She moved like a dream, had a mouth like silk. She could turn on a sixpence and jumped like a stag. really smooth transitions. I am only 5ft 1" but she was just so easy and never used her weight against me.

MollBen-1.jpg

Molly-1-2.jpg

molly-1.jpg

Molly-1-1.jpg

Edited by Jay1

Aww Jay what a beautiful girl, and such a kind face :wub: Lovely ickle foal too :wub:

Awww Jacky your post made me :mecry:. So chuffed for you, what a good boy :biggrin: I did think of you whilst I was poo-picking and getting burnt, I was hoping you were having a good time :laugh:

I have saddle issues again {sigh} I had the saddler out to check it about ten days ago and he made some alterations, noticed at the weekend it seemed to be slipping back and I felt like I was sitting heavy at the back of the saddle. Thought I would have another check this morning, started to school him and wasn't happy, got off and by pushing the cantle I can almost pivot the saddle from his back, so it must be moving around all over the place on him, poor boy :( Can I get hold of my saddler, of course not.

Really does feel like one step forward three back at the moment :rolleyes:

Jacky that is fab - was wondering how you got on :) What a good boy Kane is. :wub:

Lovely looking mare Jay - what were you being presented with the saddle for?

So sorry about your saddle woes Clare - I feel your pain. :GroupHug: I am so disillusioned with bloomin' saddlers - seems decent ones are impossible to find. I am still bitter about poor Rolo's back.

Rolo was hacked out on his own for the first time in months on Friday - and was a good boy. He showed an initial reluctance, but was seen heading back to wards home on a very loose rein and looking very relaxed :) Same was happening today too. I have now accepted that I am doing the right thing for both of us. It is so hard as I adore him, but the best decisions aren't always the easiest ones to make.

Nemo was absolutely hilarious last night - the andalusian youngster was moved in to the field next door to Nemo. It was the battle of the show-offs!! Nemo kept goading him - there was rearing, spinning, galloping, foot stamping :rolleyes: All from a 26 year old that could hardly walk 2 weeks ago. He was clearly not going to take any nonsense from some young whippersnapper. :laugh:

Blimey you lot have been busy :rolleyes:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: to Claire, such a hard decision to make :flowers:

I have lots of exciting news to share with you all - me and Blue have qualified for the regional dressage finals at beginners prelim :ohmy: He went quite well, although the little sod wouldn't go into canter on the right rein at the right marker, and he went early on the left rein because I suspected he'd do the same again :rolleyes: We got 63% and qualified :biggrin:

I was on cloud 9 with him, and when I hacked him out the following Tuesday he was a spanner and binned me twice :mecry: First time was on the bridle path when I asked him to walk through a puddle, he reared and span and trotted off leaving me on the floor. I went after him and he'd trotted back towards the farm, and a passing motorist had caught him (I found out after some smart alec driver pulled over and asked if I had lost a horse :rolleyes: ). I got back on him and decided to go back to the farm, when his reflective bum sheet slid off, but because it was caught on the saddle, it spooked him, so he was cantering along this country lane and every time I tried to slow him down, he saw the sheet again and set off, he then went round a corner and I didn't quite make it, landing with all my weight on my elbow :mecry: Surprisingly it didn't break :ohmy:

We were supposed to have a lesson the next day, but the instructor took one look at his face and decided to lunge him first. He was rearing, trying to throw himself over backwards and generally being a git, so she spent the whole lesson lunging him :rolleyes: Then I was going to hack him out last week, when he had a napping fit just walking away from his stable, so K got on him and hacked him out instead and had a few 'discussions' with him about puddles and gates etc.

I've hurt my ankle though now, so riding isn't really a good idea, plus I am having my eyes lasered on Wednesday, so won't be able to ride for at least 10 days :(

:GroupHug: Jayne. A lot of the horses at the stables are having attitude problems at the moment, i think its a combination of spring grass, sun and silliness at spring /summer season. Having an explanation however hasnt stopped me threatening to have a select few shot!! :laughingsmiley: :laughingsmiley:

Yes we have been finding the same. Loki seems to be just coming out of this (famous last words :laugh: )

Well done on the dressage :biggrin:

I'm sure I'll find out tonight, I'm going to try and hack out alone!! :rolleyes: No doubt he'll decide that all his braves from sunday have gone and try and nap back again!! Looking forward to having him away from the farm for a couple of weeks in July so I can really get working on the going out alone thing!!