UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Whoops hadn't quiet finished!!

I really like the look of the Cherokee, I think you'd be right to go for knee rolls if that makes you comfortable. I think if/when I buy another treeless I'd go for that one. Mine was a cheaper version from Germany, still a great saddle but it's showing it's age so I think I'd go for a better know name next time. The added extra's do all add up, but the one thing I'd definately recommend to buy is the grandeur saddle pad. It's not cheap but it will last through all the saddles! I've had my pad for 3 years and only washed it twice!! It's absolutely brilliant and really comfortable for Kane.

ARRGG!! Stupid machine is going wonky today!!

Right this is the last bit I wanted to say!!! :laugh: :laugh:

I find my leg position in the treeless is 100 times stronger than usual. Kane is very responsive to the leg and it's made our comminication alot better. It did take him abit to adjust to the stronger leg position as he's so responsive I think he thought I was putting my leg on...where as I was actually just riding properly for once!!! :laugh: :laugh: Also something you will like!! I find I can sit Kane's pretty spectacular spooks much better!! The cantle is great to grab hold of!! :laugh:

I find my leg position in the treeless is 100 times stronger than usual. Kane is very responsive to the leg and it's made our comminication alot better.

It's funny you should say that - I was only commenting on that last night - I barely moved my leg in to get walk - it was a very subtle movement :)

I am going to have to change the filling of the pommel - it is fibre glass and is too narrow for him really - saddle lady suggested a foam one, which would make sense.

The only theing that worried me slightly is that , even with the Grandeur pad, it did slip slightly, plus the pad did seem to end up quite tight over his wither - oh well we will have to see how we get on this weekend!

I am feeling so guilty about the treed saddle - I feel like I have let him down so badly - poor lad. It does explain why he started to flinch and run away - the scarey thing is that there are several well meaning people on the yard (one of whom is a professional), who have been trying to convince me for ages that I should persevere with the saddle - God knows what state his back would be in.

I have asked on Enlightened Equitation about the Cheyenne and the Cherokee - the Cherokee gets a thumbs up so far!

Love the piccie of Kane - bless him! :wub:

:GroupHug: Don't feel bad....no owner could of done more for her horse!! And I'm sorry but the 'make him fit the saddle' attitude really makes me angry!! It's the old school way of horses isn't it?

Sorry I meant pommel to hold on to not cantle...I get them confused!! :wacko: You know you can buy a wide pommel insert? I padded mine out with foam but found it wasn't that effective, mainly because Kane is so flat backed it collapsed and I was having to re-pad it all the time. I found the wide pommel fine for him.

I do notice the pad tightens abit on his withers but not so much it bothers him. It certainly never slips, so not sure if maybe the girth wasn't quiet tight enough for you? It was something I struggled with originally, I seemed to find it difficult to judge how tight the girth should be, I'd never used a dressage girth before so I found that all abit odd as well! I like the thorowgood dressage girth, although at the moment I'm using a cottage craft one at the moment that is very good.

I am feeling so guilty about the treed saddle - I feel like I have let him down so badly - poor lad. It does explain why he started to flinch and run away - the scarey thing is that there are several well meaning people on the yard (one of whom is a professional), who have been trying to convince me for ages that I should persevere with the saddle - God knows what state his back would be in.

I know exactly how you feel, as went through the same with Loki's saddle(s) :GroupHug:

You certainly did not let him down, you relied on "professional" advice which we all have to do, but at the end of the day you listened to Rolo more, hence why you now have a treeless to try! Everyone gets it wrong now and again, what sets caring owners apart is they listen and do something about it as you have :flowers:

So do we get ridden pics this weekend :biggrin:

I know exactly how you feel, as went through the same with Loki's saddle(s) :GroupHug:

You certainly did not let him down, you relied on "professional" advice which we all have to do, but at the end of the day you listened to Rolo more, hence why you now have a treeless to try! Everyone gets it wrong now and again, what sets caring owners apart is they listen and do something about it as you have :flowers:

So do we get ridden pics this weekend :biggrin:

Hmmm - if he behaves like he did tonight, piccies are unlikely!! :biggrin: Took me longer to get on that I spent riding!! :ohmy: Little monkey! He can be awkward about the mounting block, but has been very good recently -but not tonight - oh no!! :rolleyes: I must have patiently led him back to the block at least 15 times, and each time, as soon as I got on the block he stepped away or backwards. How I kept calm I will never know - I was getting very wound up as I had had to wait an hour to get in to the school in the first place! In the end I called for help! He then stood like an angel!

I just walked round for 5 mins - saddle felt really comfy, but by now he had sensed that I was wound up and was threating to spook/shy at everything. So I got off and led him back to the block - stood up on it, scratched him a bit, put my foot in the stirrup - scractched him agian, but did not actually get on - he didn't move!

I will try to get some pics this weekend.

I worked out that this is saddle No 8!! Not bad in just over 15 months of ownership!!

Great news about the yard Clare!

We hacked out today - first time in 6 months, and since my last fall.

I will not bore you with all the details, but it was a disasterous start (he freaked out before I had even got on!), and I ended up having a lead rein on for the whole thing, but we did at least do it!

Good news is - he clocked the saddle from the far end of the yard today and was not plastered against the back wall of his stable by the time I got there, and he did not flinch when it was put on, and it stayed put whilst I mounted and through 2 humungous spooks, so that saddle seesm to be OK!

Just need to get me and the horse sorted now! :rolleyes:

It has been a very very long while since I posted on here so I thought I had better update you on what has been happening.

Cueva is going out on loan to a wonderful (and batty!) lady in Wales to have babies and is due to be covered by a pure white, beautiful, handsome pure Guardiola stallion with a temperament to die for.

For some reason, Cueva and I have never quite clicked, although we have both tried, we are happy enough to potter around together, but I have no wish to ride her at all! (Please explain why I can get on a 16 hh Veiga-bred Pure Lusitano stallion and canter and do passage and all sorts of things, and whom I trust with my life yet cannot get on my own girl? :unsure: As our American friends say 'Go figure')

Tuna is going to the same stallion, she is proving to be very brave, opinated and very, very beautiful horse.

Nott, my beloved girl is 20 this year and looking very fit and well, she is truly my soul mate.

Which brings me on to another 'Mist's secret'.

I truly have found the horse of my dreams, he is everything I dreamt of and everything I could ever wish for. He is also a rescue horse and his story is very, very sad. He was literally inches away from being bought by the Italian meat man for salami. (Literally as in stood next to!) I cannot reveal my boy yet as he is still undergoing veterinary treatment, he is not in the UK. Of course he is an Iberian stallion...

As soon as I can, I will!

It has been lovely to catch up on every one's news, aren't you all doing well?

Have forgotten to tell you guys, my boss has a horse on trial. How mad does it sound to have a grand prix horse on trial? :wacko: not the sort of thing you hear every day. Well this horse may be a grand prix horse, but how the devil the guy has managed to get him that far is a miracle, he has been ridden by sheer strength of the arms so far, and is not quite like my bosses other horses to sit on! :mellow:

He is a sweet heart though, and really tries to please and be good. He will be 12 this year, gelding, bay kinda colour, not a lot of white but a beautiful face. Boss is gonna be away until thursday so I am doing the honours of practicing head down and forward (horse not mine) instead of up and in!

I don't think she has decided yet to keep him or not, as there is a lot of work to do with him, total reschooling actually. But I kinda hope she does... I like him and he deserves a home where he will be appreciated.

Things are good with Hertha as well. she has had 2 weeks off because of a swollen leg. No lameness, but she had done a silly stunt of some king in the paddock. 2 weeks out of work, and you wouldn't know it if you weren't told, that horse is SUCH a pleasure to work with!! A mare with tons of potential, maybe the best horses I have ever sat on.

New boy sounds very interesting Mist :)

It is a shame about Cueva, but absolutely the right decision,

Trial horse sounds very sweet Anne - bit of a project horse.

We hacked out again this morning - just Rolo and I with Sarah on foot - first time for us withotu an equine companion. He id not put a foot wrong! :)