UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Why Does George Do This?

bebe

George has always followed me around the house, but its got much more noticable lately. I really cant move without him. Im always nipping in and out of rooms, I dont sit anywhere for long, and Im starting to feel sorry for George, because as soon as he settles somewhere, I get up and he follows me, he,s not getting any rest. Tyra will stay in the lounge if I go to the kitchen or something, she seems quite content on an evening to just laze on the sofa, even though shes so attached to me, so I dont understand why George, who is much less nervous than Ty, seems to need me so much? He stares at me all the time, and I only have to say the beginning of his name and he,s half licking me to death!

Its got to the point now, I try to tip-toe out of the room so he doesnt have to wake up and follow me. Im upstairs now writing this, and he,s led at my feet, he wont go downstairs to eat his tea untill I go down too, but Ty has eaten hers and is downstairs asleep :rolleyes: Sometimes, when I do relax for an hour to watch tv, they both try to sit on my lap at the same time and a fight almost breaks out, so Im glad Ty is content to stay in a room without me. When Ive finished writing this, I,ll go down 2 flights of stairs into the kitchen to make a cup of tea, and George will follow me down, settle in his crate while I make a drink, and by the time he,s dropping off to sleep the tea will be made, so he,ll have to wake up and come back upstairs with me :wacko: , I,ll watch tv, and in the break I,ll go for a fag, so again, he wakes up and comes, and if I close the door so he cant follow me, he,ll bark. Ty doesnt like him barking so she,ll tell him off, and then I need to go in and seperate them for a while anyway :unsure:

Is this normal, and is it because he,s insecure, even though he seems so confident ??

it sounds like he might need to detach himself a bit from you in the house. Do you give him lots of cuddles/fuss/ any other contact? Indy will get like this if I give her TOO much attention, and it can actually be a bit annoying, not to mention stressful in your situation, where as you say they will sometimes almost fight ot be nearest to you. It helps (with her!) if I ignore her a bit, tell her to go lay down somewhere else etc.

Do you take George out for "special Goerge time", just you and him outside? The more I train with Indy just her and me outside, the happier she is to be by herself indoors... she has had her need for contact and attention fulfilled, and settle much better indoors.

For the first few months Elsa was here she followed me everywhere then one day I realised I was in the toilet alone. :)

Charley Barley came and did the same thing, he still does it and Elsa follows him so I now have the two of them following me.

I think it's because they think I might jump out of a window and go to the park without them.

With your George could it be that he has picked up on all the upset you have been through lately and is just 'keeping an eye' on you to make sure you are alright?

Try having 3 GSDs :laugh: They all follow me everywhere, Syd only to the kitchem though if it looks like they may be getting food :rolleyes: I don't allow them to follow me to the downstairs loo though or upstairs. If you are finding it annoying, I'd ignore him when you don't want to give him attention or try shutting the door behind you when you go out a room.

I don't find my lot following me annoying since they aren't pushy for attention, they just follow me to the other room and settle down to watch whatever it is I'm doing, then do it all again when I next move :rolleyes:

it sounds like he might need to detach himself a bit from you in the house. Do you give him lots of cuddles/fuss/ any other contact? Indy will get like this if I give her TOO much attention, and it can actually be a bit annoying, not to mention stressful in your situation, where as you say they will sometimes almost fight ot be nearest to you. It helps (with her!) if I ignore her a bit, tell her to go lay down somewhere else etc.

Do you take George out for "special Goerge time", just you and him outside? The more I train with Indy just her and me outside, the happier she is to be by herself indoors... she has had her need for contact and attention fulfilled, and settle much better indoors.

I always take George out on his own Anne, because he needs a break from bossy Ty, who pushes him around all the time and jumps on him. I dont fuss him all the time, mainly he just wants to be in the same room all the time, he isnt attention-seeking or anything, he just sits there and stares at me :unsure: If I speak to him, he gets a bit excited, but normally its just following me around a lot and sighing :rolleyes:

Multiply that by five for me : My lot all do this. If I get up they all have to follow me. And try having five of them squishing onto your lap at the same time :

:ohmy: :laugh: I can imagine a little line of them all following you, like baby ducklings :

Try having 3 GSDs :lall follow me everywhere, Syd only to the kitchem though if it looks like they may be getting food :rolleyes: I don't allow them to follow me to the downstairs loo though or upstairs. If you are finding it annoying, I'd ignore him when you don't want to give him attention or try shutting the door behind you when you go out a room.

I don't find my lot following me annoying since they aren't pushy for attention, they just follow me to the other room and settle down to watch whatever it is I'm doing, then do it all again when I next move

Thats what George is like, not pushy, just...there!!! Its like Im made of velcro : If I shut him out, he barks and cries, then Ty beats him up, she doesnt like it when he barks, so if I leave him in the room with her, Ive got to go back in to "save him" :rolleyes:

The reason Im asking now, is because I mentioned it to another dog walker, and she told me it was something I need to be carefull of, as its a "Dominance thing" :huh: and thats why he stares at me a lot. I didnt think much of it when she said it (except that she was talking rubbish) but today he,s been very clingy and stared at me for ages while I was writing a letter, I kept looking out the corner of my eye because it was like being spied on and if I moved, he got up ready to follow me. If I go to the loo, he,s there, outside of the door, and I can see a tiny bit of his nose under the door and hear snuffling all the time, if I dont close the door he sits right in front of me while Im on the loo, staring at me :huh:

I dont mind really, but I feel he,s not getting any rest or relaxing, its like he,s trying to pre-empt all my moves incase Im going to make for the door, even if he,s sleeping and I shuffle on the sofa, he opens one eye to make sure Im not leaving the room.

Its like this..... :bigurrr: all the time!

My 3 all do it, so i can't see that it would be a dominance thing, just that hes a little insecure and wants to keep his eyes on you to check that you are still there. Its a little surprising that ty is quite content to be on her own given that she tends to worry so much when out, i would have thought it would be the other way round. I think it is just in the nature of some dogs. If it bothers you you could try putting up a baby gate so that he has to be seperated from you, but this may just stress him out even more, you would need to build up the seperation time ever so gradually.

Hee Hee, love that smiley face withthe big eye!!

Edited by lucyandmeg

My 3 all do it, so i can't see that it would be a dominance thing, just that hes a little insecure and wants to keep his eyes on you to check that you are still there. Its a little surprising that ty is quite content to be on her own given that she tends to worry so much when out, i would have thought it would be the other way round. I think it is just in the nature of some dogs. If it bothers you you could try putting up a baby gate so that he has to be seperated from you, but this may just stress him out even more, you would need to build up the seperation time ever so gradually.

Hee Hee, love that smiley face withthe big eye!!

Yes its really weird, Id have thought Ty wouldve been the one to be clingy in the house , not George, but maybe thats the key...Tyra is very insecure outside, but comfortable when in the house and doesnt need to keep being by me (Having said that, she does follow me sometimes, and sleeps in bed with me :unsure: ) but its like shes secure in the home, content. Whereas George is very confident outside, happy to go anywhere, nothing much fazes him, but needy in the house. Could he be afraid of Ty, I wonder? :unsure: Id be really interested in finding out actually, because each dog is different depending on where they are,. :biggrin: I have the perfect dog, except its divided between 2. If I could blend them together, the perfect dog will be made. Ty is brilliant in the house, very obedient, rarely barks, very affectionate, but is a nightmare to take out.... George is noisy in the house, stubborn, barks a lot. and can be demanding, but to take him out is lovely, he,s easy, friendly and loves going anywhere.

Someone pass me a Blender!!! :biggrin:

Its like this..... :bigurrr: all the time!

:laugh:

Could he be afraid of Ty, I wonder? :unsure:

Maybe... it would make sense if she does bully him a bit? Maybe not though - Maddie's an only dog, and she stalks me, too. Wherever I go, she has to be within 2 feet of me at all times (yep, she stands outside the loo at home too, and comes to the loo with me if I'm in the pub... pathetic, I know). She can be left with no problem, and she's fine outside, and generally very good - she just like stalking me :rolleyes: . I'm no behaviourist though, so I'd maybe best shut up and shuffle off...

Maybe you should offer his spying services to Mi5 so you can have a little break from surveilance :wink: ? Or he could come for a boating holiday, seeing as he's used to bossy madams... :biggrin:

Dylan did this for months when he first came home. Now he only follwos me if i've been gone a while, which is sometimes worse becaise then i'm usually finished whatever i was doing so he walks in and i walk out :rolleyes:

Khyra still follows me everywhere and i know what you mean about them not getting rest. I feel awful when i know she's tired but she's just started staying downstairs if i go upstairs but after ten minutes she'll come running up!!

Maybe he's not staring, maybe he's just gazing at the wonder that is Bebe :biggrin:

My first thoughts were that George doesn't like to be alone with Ty. Ty feels confident to stay where she is because she's obviously top dog in the house.

Dogs do follow you around the house though, it's in their pack nature to follow the dominant one about - you might offer them some food or sneak out for a walk without them :D

But it does sound to me (in my opinion) that George doesn't feel happy staying alone with Ty.

Dylan did this for months when he first came home. Now he only follwos me if i've been gone a while, which is sometimes worse becaise then i'm usually finished whatever i was doing so he walks in and i walk out :rolleyes:

Khyra still follows me everywhere and i know what you mean about them not getting rest. I feel awful when i know she's tired but she's just started staying downstairs if i go upstairs but after ten minutes she'll come running up!!

Maybe he's not staring, maybe he's just gazing at the wonder that is Bebe :biggrin:

:biggrin: And thinking " WTF have I been landed with here!!" :rolleyes:

My first thoughts were that George doesn't like to be alone with Ty. Ty feels confident to stay where she is because she's obviously top dog in the house.

Dogs do follow you around the house though, it's in their pack nature to follow the dominant one about - you might offer them some food or sneak out for a walk without them :D

But it does sound to me (in my opinion) that George doesn't feel happy staying alone with Ty.

I dont know. :unsure: He doesnt do it when my Daughter is left with them, if I go out, Ive asked her and she said he just lays by the door. Also, sometimes I look through the window before I come back in, and theyre both asleep in the Lounge. He also did it before we had Ty, although not to this extent, granted. But maybe it is that? That makes me feel upset for him to be honest :(

Im going to watch more closely and see if he is that afraid to be with her. Poor thing!!

:biggrin: And thinking " WTF have I been landed with here!!" :rolleyes:

I dont know. :unsure: He doesnt do it when my Daughter is left with them, if I go out, Ive asked her and she said he just lays by the door. Also, sometimes I look through the window before I come back in, and theyre both asleep in the Lounge. He also did it before we had Ty, although not to this extent, granted. But maybe it is that? That makes me feel upset for him to be honest :(

Im going to watch more closely and see if he is that afraid to be with her. Poor thing!!

Ok, Been thinking about this. If he,s really scared of her, it must be horrible for him if no-ones home at all, which isnt often, but I,ll be even more concerned about leaving him with Ty if I think he,s afraid. Its not as if she seriously hurts him or anything, but she is bossy, and takes all his toys etc off him. She also goes for him if theres a knock at the door, or if she see,s a dog go past the window, and he,s started to move out of her way as soon as someone knocks on the door now :( But at other times they play together, and if he,s got something "high value", a bone or something, he will growl at her if she gets too close, would he do that if he was really scared? I dont give them bones together any more but because of George,s reaction to Ty, not the other way around. Although I knew Ty was the boss, I didnt think there was a "leader" as such, but now Im thinking maybe Ty is bullying him more than I realise, I cant seperate them when Im not here because of the layout of the house, all the rooms are tiny and I wouldnt want either of them to be shut in one small room, so they do have the run of the house together (although Im pretty sure they just sleep when no-ones here). Am I worrying about nothing now? As always :rolleyes:

I always take George out on his own Anne, because he needs a break from bossy Ty, who pushes him around all the time and jumps on him. I dont fuss him all the time, mainly he just wants to be in the same room all the time, he isnt attention-seeking or anything, he just sits there and stares at me :unsure:

count yourself lucky then :laugh:

Can you seperate them with baby-gates for a while when they are alone? That might help him if he is insecure of being alone with Ty?