UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Brodie Has Gone To The Bridge

Brodies Mum

Last Wednesday Brodie went over the bridge. It has been a strange week and today felt I could post.

On Friday16th July Brodie threw three fits within 12 hours. He had never had one before. We were due to go on holiday the next day. The cottage was booked and were taking my husbands Mum, so the rest of the family went down to Suffolk and we hoped to join them later when Brodie had improved. The emergency vet had given him medication which completely knocked him out. I took him back on the Monday to see our usual vet and he reduced the dosages. Brodie was still struggling, wobbly and diorientated, but coping. On Wednesday unfortunately he started to fit again and never really came out of it. The vet came to the house and helped him on his way.

We are devastated. Mabel our other dog is coping reasonably well. She seems a litle insecure but is enjoyingall the extra fuss and attention. We joined the family on Thursday and two days with them.

Today we collected Brodies Body from the vets where he had been kept in cold storage and we buried him in our garden of rememberance. He was an amazing boy who shared our lives for thirteen years, from the time we found him roaming in Shrewsbury we have never once had a doubt in our mind that he was meant to be with us. I lit a candle for him last Wednesday and my epitaph to him was "Will I ever feel as safe again".

Wherever we walked at what ever time of day or night my boy looked after me.

He will never be forgotten. We tonight shared a few of memories of life with Brodie as we laid him to rest. Emily remembered taking him a walk to the canal and meeting a couple feeding the ducks, there was a large splash and Brodie was swimming after the bread. We were convinced this couple thought he was starving.

Lorna watched from her window as she wanted to remember him on her own.

Derek remembered the time when we first found him wandering around Shrewsbury, I had gone into a shop to find out where the police station was. When I came out Derek said he thought the dog was going to be sick as he was retching. I corrected him by saying he wasn't being sick but he had quite a large pink apparation showing. Derek chucked the lead back and said "You hold him".

My memory was taking him to dog training classes, which were always a nightmare, as he was always up for a play rather than concentrate. This particular evening he was quiet and seemed to be doing what he was asked. I felt really good and thought we were at last getting there. Suddenly he started to be sick and bought up a round haribrush (complete with handle and all bristles). Five minutes later he was back to being the Jack the Lad of the class. The memories are endless of the wonderful dog we shared our life with. We don't want anyone to feel sad whilst reading this. Please raise a glass to one of the most perfect dogs anyone could know

Edited by Brodies Mum