UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Abortion

staffymonkey

What do you think?  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think that if you do not ever want babies, you should have a hysterectomy, so accidents couldn't happen. No contraception is 100%, i fell pregnant whilst on the pill. So its up to every woman to keep herself safe ( apart from obviously being raped).

Even sterilisation isn't 100% safe. It's also very difficult to get them to do it when you're under 30! That's the one thing I'm looking forward to about turning 30 actually. I intend to get myself sterilised asap so I know I won't have to go through getting pregnant and making that decision in the future.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even sterilisation isn't 100% safe. It's also very difficult to get them to do it when you're under 30! That's the one thing I'm looking forward to about turning 30 actually.

Bloody right

The example I gave earlier asking whether caseyr would still bring that child into the world was regarding a child I had aborted.

I have a medical condition for which I take drugs which would cause the aforementioned problems (plus many more ) in a child. In addition to those problems I would be in severe danger during childbirth.

The only form of contraception I could use because of my medical condition was condoms. In spite of all this I was 'too young' to be sterilised and my then husband was 'too young' to have a vasectomy.

I became pregnant and had an abortion which in itself for me was a dangerous procedure.

Four months later I had my 30th birthday and was allowed to have a hysterectomy.

I never wanted children but out of choice I would never have become pregnant either.

There is a young girl locally (16) who has had three so far - she forgets to take the pill. It makes me sick that this situation is allowed to happen.

In a way I'm grateful that in these situations there is that solution, because that'd be a 16 year old with at least one if not more children (depending on how close together they were).

As for it being "up to the woman" to protect against pregnancy, what about victims of rape? Are young girls for example who aren't on contraception supposed to carry condoms as a just in case, or ask him to wait while you get a prescription?

It's also not just a woman's responsibility (although personally I wouldn't leave it to the fella).

I'm not going to go into my personal experiences on here, but suffice to say there have been two occasions in my life that were very different but neither were under my control. One was even my husband at the time. I consider myself very lucky not to have been in the position of having to have an abortion, but I would've had both times.

I voted pro-life as that is my personal choice,but I would make an exception in a true case of rape or for medical reasons

I am totally against the way abortion is 'used' these days ,I know it can be hard sometimes,very indeed but a life is being distroyed :mecry: and if people would be really honest,most times it could have been prevented And the limit of 24 wks is just revolting IMHO, a 'baby' of 10 weeks old can kick, form a fist,even wrinckle its tiny forehead .....

I know that peeps might feel very offended ,but its not ment personal.Please ,this is my honest opinion,not ment to hurt anybody ,I just really am very against abortion

Vivian <ducks for shelter,quickly>

My cat can kick, clench its paws and wrinkle its forehead and a lot more, but she's not a human being.

I agree that the destruction of life - any life- deserves respect and thought, and should not be done lightly. I don't believe that destroying an early embryo is any more wrong than killing an animal.

I voted pro-life as that is my personal choice,but I would make an exception in a true case of rape or for medical reasons

I'm not sure what you mean by 'true' rape, but I am still interested to know why you think it is OK to abort a baby conceived through rape, but not through other ways. It's not the baby's fault it was conceived that way, so why doesn't it deserve the same protection?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'true' rape, but I am still interested to know why you think it is OK to abort a baby conceived through rape, but not through other ways. It's not the baby's fault it was conceived that way, so why doesn't it deserve the same protection?

This is exactly what I always say as well! It makes no sense does it? Either abortion is a valid choice or it isn't. No one has the right to judge which circumstances "merit" it. Abortion is carried out in exactly the same way whether a woman is raped or not!

does anyone know at what stage does an unborn baby gets legal protection ( and Human Rights ) is when they are born ?

I think one of the reasons I think this is such an emotive subject is that its the only time ( that I can think of ) when a person can legally terminate another persons life

I think it is when they're born, but thats off the top of my head, so probably wrong.

Its also not really terminating another person's life, that life is dependent on the mother without the mother there would be no life.

I saw this on the BBC yesterday and meant to post it then, but forgot :rolleyes: :

One day, you wake up in hospital. In the nearby bed lies a world famous violinist who is connected to you with various tubes and machines.

To your horror, you discover that you have been kidnapped by the Music Appreciation Society. Aware of the maestro's impending death, they hooked you up to the violinist. If you stay in the hospital bed, connected to the violinist, he will be totally cured in nine months. You are unlikely to suffer harm. No one else can save him. Do you have an obligation to stay connected?

Edited by wickychoo

I saw this on the BBC yesterday and meant to post it then, but forgot :rolleyes: :

One day, you wake up in hospital. In the nearby bed lies a world famous violinist who is connected to you with various tubes and machines.

To your horror, you discover that you have been kidnapped by the Music Appreciation Society. Aware of the maestro's impending death, they hooked you up to the violinist. If you stay in the hospital bed, connected to the violinist, he will be totally cured in nine months. You are unlikely to suffer harm. No one else can save him. Do you have an obligation to stay connected?

LOL I quoted that to JoC and Canis-Equs yesterday actually, I was reading it too. I studied those sort of dilemmas last year at college and found it fascinating.

I think it is when they're born, but thats off the top of my head, so probably wrong.

Its also not really terminating another person's life, that life is dependent on the mother without the mother there would be no life.

I think clearly its a very personal individual viewpoint ( is the baby another persons life or an extension of the mother )

I think clearly its a very personal individual viewpoint ( is the baby another persons life or an extension of the mother )

True indeed Your Squigglyness :) We may not share opinions with others, but they're all equally valid and unless we've been there how will we really know how we will react/cope? All we can do is suppose, and hope we never have to face that choice/be in that situation.

Some of the things people have shared in here and the traumatic things they've gone through show how resilient we can be when needed. I am amazed at your strength and send you these :GroupHug: :flowers:

I do agree to an extent with those who say an abortion is an abortion regardless of the circumstances of the mother. But I do feel that with many things in life it's not what people do but why they do them. I don't think anyone here would feel that abortion is a good thing to do or a desirable course of action. But there are times when we have to do things that aren't ideal because the alternative is worse or the circumstances merit it. That's why there are different degrees of murder for example. I think most people would agree that someone killing someone for pleasure or sexual gratification is utterly evil. But what about the woman who kills her abusive husband in self defence? Same action, still not at all nice but the circumstances make it more understandable. The same with abortion. Yes it is all carried out the same way and it's the same termination of life. But surely it is worse if someone does it repeatedly through careless mistakes than if someone really feels they have no choice following a rape or because the father is abusive for example?

On the subject of how it is done though, my understanding is that up to about 4-5 weeks it can be done with a pill, from then up to about 3 months ish it's a D&C (it's scraped out basically and at that stage is really just a blob) and after that you essentially have to give birth to it and the baby is then left to die. Personally I think if it gets to the stage where you have to go through labour and it is a recognisable, formed baby then it has gone too far. Aside from the rights of the baby, the distress that must be caused by a woman going through labour just for the baby to be left somewhere to die doesn't bear thinking about.