UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Garden Fred 2012

eve

I've given the front lawn its first haircut today, and given both lawns some tlc as they are both in quite bad condition. Probably a bit earlier than I should have, but I wanted to get it sorted so that as soon as the grass starts growing, the seeds will germinate and a month or so after that I can let the dogs on it.

That's the less enjoyable bit out of the way. The bits I enjoy will be started in a few weeks.

Lesson learned so far : Escallonias do not like a wet northern winter. Three of mine have Leaf Spot and one is just dying for no reason. No idea why - the identical plant right next to it looks fairly healthy, but this one is just curling up its toes.

• Like 1

I've done more gardening biggrin.gif

I've dug up three lavenders which had seen better days out of their planters which have now gone in the composting.

I also dug out an Acer which I've had for about 20 years - it was in a huge planter and was a complete nightmare to get out because the roots were so thick.

I've also planted out a Clematis Rouge Cardinale (pic below) in a planter with an obelisk for it to wind round...

Clematis_RougeCardinal.jpg

Stroll on Spring :pinkie:

I was in Eastbourne this weekend visiting family and went to the Range where they had rose bushes and shrubs at 3 for £5. Got 5 rose bushes, 2 Weigelas, a Potentilla and a Deutzia. There were also bulbs at 3 for a £5 so I may have availed myself of some hollyhocks, dahlias, phlox and other stuff I can't remember. Got seed trays and compost too to start planting seeds. Can't wait to get planting. :biggrin:

I may have bought another 4 Clematis on my way into work this morning rolleyes.gif I'm going to have them all over the place so that when I look out into the garden I'll see lots of different colours (on a theme of pinks, purples and reds) at various heights.

Some of the Camellias I bought have had several stems in the pot which are actually different plants, so I've split them out from each other. Theoretically, if they do okay where I've split their roots, I should get 8 plants out of the 3 I purchased.

I love my garden, but all Ihave is a large patch of grass, a Silver Birch tree, a banked area with some shrubs - Mahonia, buddleigha (sp?) underplanted with loads and loads of violets.

To the left, running the length of the grass is a line of paving slabs, which I am hoping to get up this year and replace with some slate, interplanted with alpine plants and grasses.

In the mean time, I bought myself 5 Oleaders today (yes, I know they are poisonous), a white, a lemon, a salmon, a red and a pink one. They will go in some nice new self watering pots so I should at least have some colour in my garden this year :)

Have a look in Morrisons if you can Marge, there are some really cheap gardening type things in there, including planters ranging between £1.50 and £5 for a large one, plus they have some bags that you grow veg in. I bought a garden obelisk for £6 and some other bits and bobs.

I'm miles away from all the major supermarkets mecry.gif Though thinking about it - it's probably just as well. I would probably give Alex a good run for her money laugh.gif

For a relatively small city, we have 3 Lidls, two morrissons, three Aldis too many Tesco's to count and three Asda's. There's a few Sainsbury's dotted around too! All of these are within 5-15 minute drive. :unsure:

Oh Marge that sounds like paradise to me biggrin.gif

Well don't laugh but we have a Booths supermarket - nice produce but expensive, a Co-op which has definitely seen better days and a small Spar shop. That was it until fairly recently when we got a new Londis at one of our two petrol stations and another in the town centre. Can't comment on the town centre one but the filling station, tho fairly small, is well stocked, super clean andfeature lots of local produce. It's very handy for when we run out of run-of-the-mill stuff.

You have no idea how excited a bunch of us middle aged ladies got when the Londis opened laugh.gif

It's a round trip of 26 miles to get to the nearest Aldi and Sainsbury's and even more for the likes of Morrison, Tesco and Asda.