UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Please Say Hi To Henry

Greygal

Our new foster hound is here already. Another black dog with white paws and tail tip. Henry stayed with his dead owner for a couple of days before they were found and has no other family to take him. He was with an old bitch who had to be pts so poor lad has lost his owner, mate and home all at once. He arrived an hour ago and is panting and pacing as expected. Unfortunately it is really hot here at the moment around 90*F which isn't helping any. Poor old thing is bad on his back legs and his teeth don't look too good and he also needs to be neutered.

However he is quite overweight and will really need to settle and lose a bit before having a GA I think. At least with this one we won't worry if he doesn't eat for a while which is just the opposite from our last foster boy Ranger who lost weight with his dental and took ages to start eating again. Fingers crossed Henry settles. So far Sally has not been bothered and he isn't interested in her either so hopefully we won't be worrying about grumpies.

Ranger has settled well so far and I can't see him being returned. However, as we only have Sally now I reckon even if he did have to come back we would still only have 3 hounds so could cope OK as long as they all get on.

I was really looking forward to having an OC foster hound this time though, if something suitable came along as I like a change from greyhounds once in a while, much as I love the breed. It ovbiously wasn't meant to be but Henry is still an oldie in need so I guess that's what really counts.

Well so far he is clean, eating and slept through the night so that is good. Otherwise though we get nothing but growls and curled lip if we try to do anything like dry him off from the rain, wipe his paws, check his ears for tatts. He is not a happy boy which is understandable but I'm just hoping he has a nice side waiting to come out. Having been badly bitten by a hound years ago there is no way I will keep one that continues to threaten, so Henry will need to change his attitude or stay in kennels instead of a home.:mecry: We'll see how things go in the next few days.

Henry has moved on to green fields and pastures new which is good as he was far from the perfect fit with us. Sally was not sorry to see him move on and has already welcomed new long-term foster girl 10 year old Izzy. Her owners are moving abroad shortly and had nowhere for her to go so she arrived here yesterday. Supposed to be a lurcher but she is the smallest girl we have had at only around 17" to the shoulder, fawn coloured wavy coat and a temperament to die for it would seem. She lived with a cat and is super with other dogs, kids and people so far. Fingers crossed all continues to go well and we get used to having such a small girlie here.....round about beagle size I would think. hopefully once she settles and if all is well, we will be able to foster another along with her and Sally.