UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Do You Believe In?

JulesB

Oops, sorry...I must have read it wrongly! However, it's made me interested enough to have a look at the basic tenets of Buddhism, and it seems a very good way to live. Not "good" in a goody goody way, if you get what I mean...it even fits well with a Pagan lifestyle.

• 2 weeks later...

I was brought up by a fairly strict religious (Christian, evangelical) mother - that, combined with school, church and a 50s Scottish background, has led to more internal conflict and depression than I care to contemplate.

I cannot imagine why anyone would say he/she is Christian if it isn't true.

I cannot imagine how people find it comforting to have a faith which leads to their eternal life, but damns others to hell for not believing in the same deity.

I cannot understand the concept of karma. I have just read this again

http://www.londonbuddhistvihara.org/qa/qa_kamma.htm#qa_kamma3

and find it incomprehensible that anyone would take comfort in the fact that our miseries, misfortunes and illnesses are somehow a consequence of things we have done in a previous life. Or that animals are sometimes creatures who have not sufficiently good karma to become human. I'm paraphrasing - and probably not "getting" the whole philosophy, but it is very unappealing.

Seems to me that most religions/belief systems have much in common. There's usually a male deity or spiritual leader involved. Women are usually relegated to the sidelines while men don the long robes and interpret the teachings for womens' lesser minds. Poor people are encouraged to accept their lot, and rich people deserve their good luck and power.

I'd like to think that when a life is over, it's over. No starting up again, no endless damnation, no eternal joy - how could I, as a compassionate human being, relish the prospect of my joy when others were suffering?

Scotslass, I have looked at the Buddhist link and the explanation of karma there is very narrow and is practically the Buddhist equivalent of the more rigid Christian doctrines. Mahayana Buddhism as practised in Tibet is very different, and Zen is different again.

The Buddha made it clear that life is full of suffering. Grief, sorrow, illness and loss afflict perfectly decent people who may have done nothing personally to deserve it, simply because that is the nature of existence.

It seems to me that many followers of reincarnation-based religions have tried to turn an extremely complex concept into something horribly simple. I'm inclined to think that karma is more likely to resemble a Mandelbrot diagram than double-entry book-keeping. As for humans being at the top of the spiritual ladder, that idea turns up in most religions with very little to support it. It's just the way we humans tend to think.

I could not be happy in the afterlife either if I thought others were miserable.

I don't know enough detail about any particular religion to be able to argue the case for or against, but I'm finding it interesting to see others' thoughts.

I've just had to look up a Mandelbrot diagram, I am none the wiser though :wacko:

Scotslass, I have looked at the Buddhist link and the explanation of karma there is very narrow and is practically the Buddhist equivalent of the more rigid Christian doctrines. Mahayana Buddhism as practised in Tibet is very different, and Zen is different again.

The Buddha made it clear that life is full of suffering. Grief, sorrow, illness and loss afflict perfectly decent people who may have done nothing personally to deserve it, simply because that is the nature of existence.

It seems to me that many followers of reincarnation-based religions have tried to turn an extremely complex concept into something horribly simple. I'm inclined to think that karma is more likely to resemble a Mandelbrot diagram than double-entry book-keeping. As for humans being at the top of the spiritual ladder, that idea turns up in most religions with very little to support it. It's just the way we humans tend to think.

I could not be happy in the afterlife either if I thought others were miserable.

Whoops! I have obviously forgotten how to quote and reply... :unsure:

Let's try again...

I know what you mean, Owl, and thank you for that reply. I just picked a link at random - as will be evident, I've never attempted to study Buddhism.

My worry is perhaps that all religions and belief systems have compelled us to turn "extremely complex concepts into something horribly simple" for the simple reason that most folk aren't theologians or philosophers. If the truth is not open, evident and free to all, how does it benefit us? Why do we need wise men/leaders/priests/nutcases to interpret on our behalf?

I am totally non-religious, no belief in anything really. I just bumble along through life trying not to do too much harm and hoping to do a bit of good sometimes.

One of my close friend is a Sikh and I admire the way her belief is such an active part of her everyday life and guides all her decisions and actions, unlike some of the Christians I know who seem to go to church and then switch off for the rest of the week (not all are like that, obviously).

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.The Buddha

This quote from the Buddha works for me flowers.gif

Treat others as you wish to be treated - suits me

Me too, though I was brought up with a strict Catholic regime and still feel guilty for just about everything. Nuns and priests were pretty set in their ways in the 1960's :unsure:

Edited by houndzrus