UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Garden Fred 2011

merledogs

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally managed to get the roots of the Pampas Grass up. Had to do it in several sessions - it was horrendously hard work. I didn't get all the roots up because they are deep, but if it comes back up I'll just kill any shoots with Roundup.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, does anyone grow fuschias (spelling ?). I have been given one as a present, and am wondering what to do with it :unsure: Do I leave it in the pot, or plant it in a bed ? Will it need feeding, lots of sun or a little ? Many thanks, Totally fuschia clueless (and desperate to pop the flower heads) :wacko:

Thinking of calling it Fergie cause it's so red !

Hello, does anyone grow fuschias (spelling ?). I have been given one as a present, and am wondering what to do with it :unsure: Do I leave it in the pot, or plant it in a bed ? Will it need feeding, lots of sun or a little ? Many thanks, Totally fuschia clueless (and desperate to pop the flower heads) :wacko:

Thinking of calling it Fergie cause it's so red !

Do you know the name of it?

Some Fuschias are hardy and can be planted out in the garden. The frost may kill off the top growth but the roots will survive and shoots will appear in the spring.

Others are not hardy and need protection from frost and over wintered in a greenhouse or cool room where the temperature doesn't drop below freezing and there is good light.

Not an expert on Fuschias but I have one in the garden and have also grown one in a container. Not sure what type they are but they are very hardy and can be grown in sun or shade.

As blackmagic says there are some varieties which are hardier than others - what I would do is Google Image 'Fuschias' and see which picture most resembles it, then click on that pic to go to the website to name it.

I have been doing various things with tubs, and buying lots more plants to plant out, plus I'm going to move some plants about front and back. I have 6 shrubs to move this weekend, plus 16 (!) plants to plant out including the ones which are being moved, so I could really do with the weather being nice!

Will take pics once I've done.

Do you know the name of it?

Thanks blackmagic and merledogs :flowers:

I found a label that says it's an op stam fuchsia. It recommends removing dead flowers but that's it. It has quite a tall woody stem with a dense greenery and flower ball head, and the number of flower pods is amazing !

I tried googling it and got a lot of (I think) Dutch sites and a rather bizarre handbag and purse forum :laugh:

Any ideas what I can do with it ?

Thanks blackmagic and merledogs :flowers:

I found a label that says it's an op stam fuchsia. It recommends removing dead flowers but that's it. It has quite a tall woody stem with a dense greenery and flower ball head, and the number of flower pods is amazing !

I tried googling it and got a lot of (I think) Dutch sites and a rather bizarre handbag and purse forum :laugh:

Any ideas what I can do with it ?

From what I can gather from sites translated into pigeon English 'op stam' means on a tree- or a standard, which is what you have described.

A standard fuchsia needs overwintered indoors and not allowed to die back.

You can google for 'caring for a standard fucshia but this is from one site I found

How do I overwinter a standard?

First point – although many hardy fuchsia varieties make good standards, no standard is hardy. ALL standards no matter what the variety need to be kept in during the winter at a minimum of 5ºC, this is because you must not let the plant die back.

A bush fuchsia, or hardy fuchsia planted in the garden, will die off over the winter and shoot from the base next spring. If you let a standard fuchsia die back it too will shoot from the base and you will end up with a bush the following year. Standards must be kept ticking along throughout the whole of the winter.

However, growth will slow down and for this reason it is important not to overwater as roots left sitting in constantly wet compost will soon rot away. Keep a close eye on the standard – it ideally needs to be just moist.

A light trim round the head of the standard in the autumn will help promote a good shape for the next year and make it tidier for storage. This will also enable you to see when new shoots start to form in the spring. Once new growth is in evidence a bit of fresh compost and increasing the watering will see the standard burst into life and be ready to give you another year of pleasure. But remember, still pinch out the early season growth on the head for a bigger better standard with even more flowers!

I have finally managed to sort out the top patio (only taken me six years rolleyes.gif). I still have some planting to do down the sides and will be relocating some of my planters up there, but it's looking so much better.

It used to look like this ....

039-3.jpg

040.jpg

Now it looks like this ...

002-5.jpg

027-2.jpg

025-2.jpg

I've left the Corkscrew Hazel, which I am going to allow to grow upwards to provide some screening, but I've pulled up both the Ivy (which, as well as taking over the fence, had grown into an 8 ft shrub), plus the Pampas Grass which I've always hated.

The shrubs I've planted out are ...

Escallonia Iveyi ....

018-1.jpg

Elaeagnus pungens Maculata ...

016-1.jpg

Viburnum tinus ...

022-2.jpg

All of which will provide fragranced flowers at various times of the year biggrin.gif

I've also got some new plants in containers, which will grow into a 'portable' hedge in a couple of years once they reach fence height. Because our lawns are raised we can see into each others kitchens when standing in the garden, so this will give me some privacy because there is no foliage down that side of the fence.

Elaeagnus ebbingei ...

030-1.jpg

Elaeagnus pungens Maculata ...

036-4.jpg

041-2.jpg

More stuff in tubs ...

Escallonia laevis Gold Brian ...

047-2.jpg

Lavender which is flowering ... (think this will be their last year as they are looking straggly)

054.jpg

Strawberry Tree (arbutus unedo) ...

057-2.jpg

Sycamore ...

060.jpg

Douglas Spirea ...

063-1.jpg

Alex, you have done a huge amount of work! :ohmy: Top patio looks great now. :biggrin: Are you going to put a little table up there? I love the black tubs that you have. Did you get them from your favourite Rhodo shop? I also see you have a greenhouse. I now have greenhouse envy! :laugh:

Edited by safneo