UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The "read Any Good Books Recently" Thread

I got a Kindle for my birthday last week, so I've started reading again, I've downloaded some samples and so far the most enjoyable has been 'It's your time you're wasting' it's about a supply teacher in a modern comprehensive - it's given me an insight into the world my children occupy and I can understand how they are thinking a lot better if this is what they have to put up with, it's a miracle they can learn anything!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Just bumping this up

I have just downloaded Jodi Picoults new book Sing you home , has any read ( or listened ) to it yet ?

I am also excited that Jeffery Archers latest book Only Time will tell is out next month

Am currently reading The Guardian which so far has been very good

Finished listening to "Sing you Home" which was very good overall

Am going to get a copy of Only Time Will Tell , San is right books are bloody pricey here and its at least 25 dollars !

Finished The Guardian , not bad and has a slightly doggie theme that might appeal to many people here

Am currently reading Hothouse Flower which is very good so far

A heart-rending page turner which sweeps from war-torn Europe to Thailand and back again . . .

As a child Julia Forrester spent many idyllic hours in the hothouse of Wharton Park estate, where her grandfather tended the exotic flowers.

So when a family tragedy strikes, Julia returns to the tranquility of Wharton Park and its hothouse. Recently inherited by charismatic Kit Crawford, the estate is undergoing renovation. This leads to the discovery of an old diary, prompting the pair to seek out Julia’s grandmother to learn the truth behind a love affair that almost destroyed Wharton Park.

Julia is taken back to the 1940s where the fortunes of young couple Olivia and Harry Crawford will have terrible consequences on generations to come. For as war breaks out Olivia and Harry are cruelly separated . . .

Still have not got my head around the Girl With series , because I am avoiding it for some reason....

I finished sing you home about a week ago, very good, but I did feel it took a while to get going and the ending of the courtcase was a bit rushed.

I have been downloading free books for my kindle, and was embarrassed to discover I had read and enjoyed a mills and boon book :blush:

In the middle of Roma by Steven Saylor - fascinating history of Rome, starting with Romulus and Remus, through Hercules, the setting up of the Senate and it's fall, vestal Virgins, building of the various Temples. It follows the descendants of two ancient familes all the way through, so if you like a historically accurate family saga, it could be for you. it's a great way to learn about Rome's history as Mr Saylor is a student of ancient history and knows his stuff. Looking forward to reading more of his work.

Typed in a whole list earlier & then the connection dropped or something whilst it was waiting to post :glare: Can't be bothered to retye now.

Generally however autobiographies & true life stories are what I favour. Have just finished reading a Readers Digest published "they lived to tell the tale" 51 stories of survivial against the odds from well known people & events to the unknown. Well worth a read if you like true stories / seeing people beat long & incredible odds

Havent read any real books for ages! Usually magazines and photography books these days. My daughter has bought me a book called Water for Elephants (cos it had pics of elephants on the front no doubt and I love elephants). Any one read it? Its going to be my caravan book I think. Might actually get some peace there to read it.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought three books at the airport and finished them all whilst on holiday. One Day, the book Sam mentioned at the start of the thread. Really really enjoyed that, cried buckets. Then moved onto Room by Emma Donoghue. More tears :mecry: However, I'm glad to say I didn't once cry whilst reading The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory :biggrin: I hadn't read any books by her before, loved it, so was glad to see she's written loads of other books about the Tudors. When Sky broked my internet last week I took myself off the WH Smiths to buy The White Queen, The Constant Princess & The Other Boleyn Girl. Queen Katherine of Aragon is my favourite monarch of all time so The Constant Princess was interesting. I spent the weekend glued to my sun lounger in the garden with my new books :laugh:

Really need to get back into reading. Last book I read was Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts which was ok but a rosetinted perspective of what rescue is like :wacko:

Have been trying to get into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Has anyone read it and if so is it worth persevering?

Phoebejo, I love Philippa Gregory's Tudor series - I've learnt more about history through them than I ever did at school.

I've just finished The Bird of my Loving, by Mary Sheepshanks. It's her own story of how she coped with massive loss and bereavement. I know it doesn't sound very cheerful but it's a lovely, thoughtful book, and definitely a keeper.

Have been trying to get into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Has anyone read it and if so is it worth persevering?

I can't help you as I am still avoiding it !

Still have not got my head around the Girl With series , because I am avoiding it for some reason....

I listened to "Time will tell" as an audiobook and its not in the same League as Kane and Abel but enjoyable

Have started to listenin to Kate Mortons "The Distant Hours" and its such a disappointment that 2 hours in I have given up, its just so wordy and she is using 20 pages to talk about a walk up a path for example.

Sooo I have no book and no audiobook , woe is meeeeeeee

I'm currently about half way through James Caans "the real deal". Some interesting views, experiences & quotes in there, eg his Dad's never squeeze the last drop of the lemon in the sense of creating a win win situation & building an ongoing relationship in business rather than just trying to hammer the seller into the ground on the one deal.