UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cold Care For Your Pets

flukespad

Dogs need for food, shelter and loving care increases during the cold winter months. Keep your dog safe and warm Dogs can get frostbite or hypothermia when temperatures drop they can only maintain a body temp a couple of degrees higher than ours so remember they do feel the cold. Provide plenty of fresh water at all times. Dogs are just as likely to get dehydrated in winter as in summer. Snow is not a good substitute for water. Metal objects conduct and lose heat quickly so switching to a heavy plastic dish will help. So will your choice of colour, container size and location – dark colours absorb heat from the sun and a deeper dish will freeze less quickly than a wide, shallow one.

If you know of any dog that is kept outside ask owners to take inside. No pet should be left outside when it's not fit outside for man nor beast! and if they say it is used to it remind them that no pet becomes accustomed to the climate they live in when exposed to frequent changes in temperature/weather we have-one minute warm, the next minute cold. Don't keep your dog outside cold conditions. Pay attention to the thermometer. If it dips too far below freezing, it's too cold for any dog - even those accustomed to being outside. If you really have to leave you dog on the odd occasion outside make sure that proper shelter is provided with covers for warmth. Hay or straw is best as it allows moisture to evaporate and not make the dog chilli or damp. If you have to use blankets try and use a waterproof ground sheet first and be prepared to change blankets / bedding 3 times a day. If you know of a dog being kept outside make sure you tell the owners about cold care for their pet if owner won't /doesn't comply with your plea's REPORT THEM to RSPCA or DOG WARDEN. If you know of a stray dog living near you please help them.

DO NOT LEAVE ANY PET TO FREEZE TO DEATH OR SUFFER IN THIS BAD WEATHER WHEN ALL IT MAY TAKE FROM YOU TO HELP THEM IS A LITTLE GENUINE CONCERN AND A FEW PHONECALLS.FOLLOW UP AND MAKE SURE SOMETHING IS DONE MAKE A NUISANCE OF YOURSELF IF YOU HAVE TO.DON'T LET THEM SUFFER

When inside, keep pets warm, dry and away from drafts. Tiles and uncarpeted floors can become very cold, so put down blankets or used raised beds. Make sure pet does not lie to close to heaters and fires which can cause severe burns.

Feed your dog additional calories, particularly if it spends a lot of time outdoors or if it is a working dog. The extra calories are necessary because it takes more energy in the winter to regulate body temperature. But remember indoor dogs may need less food over the winter if not going out as much and burning off the calories.

Brush your dog as it needs a well-groomed coat to keep properly insulated. Buy them a coat to help keep warm and dry. Coats and booties can also help your dog stay warm don't forget they feel the cold as well.

Make sure that you dry your dog properly after walks or in the garden. Wipe their paws, legs and bellies thoroughly to remove salts and other such chemicals. Rock salt, used to melt ice on sidewalks, and on roads from gritters can irritate paw pads. Rinse and dry your dog's feet after a walk.Consider keeping a container of warm water and cloths by the door for use after walks. Trim fur from under pads to stop them getting clogged up with debris.

Clean snow and ice from paws to prevent cuts and cracked pads. A little petroleum jelly may help soften and soothe paw pads.

When you're outside in the cold weather, you can watch them for signs of discomfort with the cold. If they whine, shiver, seem anxious, slow down or stop moving, or start to look for warm places to burrow, they're saying they want to get back someplace warm.

Be extra careful when walking or playing with your dog near frozen lakes, rivers or ponds. Your dog could slip or jump in and be seriously injured.

Do not leave your dog alone in a car on cold days. Cars get cold very quickly and your pet can freeze to death

Puppies do not tolerate the cold as well as adult dogs and you may find housetraining take a backwards step during the winter as they don't like the cold.Don't give into easily (or you will make it harder to train them) but if it is really necessary buy some training pads for your puppy and start their training again.

Anti Freeze

This is extremely toxic to dogs and cats it contains a toxin called ethylene glycolit which is also sweet-tasting and pets will lap it up if they find even a few drops in the driveway or on the garage floor.

One-half teaspoon of antifreeze per pound of dog body weight is enough to cause the clinical signs of poisoning. The poison attacks the nervous system and the kidneys; the symptoms are depression, lack of coordination, vomiting and diarrhea, increased thirst, and seizures. The toxin is rapidly absorbed; symptoms can begin within an hour of exposure. If you suspect your dog has ingested antifreeze, call your veterinarian immediately. There is an antidote available, but time is of the essence; the poison can be fatal if the kidneys are damaged. There is an antifreeze on the market made from propylene glycol that appears to be safer. However, propylene glycol is also toxic; although it does not attack the kidneys, it does affect the nervous system and may cause lack of co-ordination and seizures.

The best bet is to carefully cap all containers of antifreeze and keep them out of the reach of pets. If small amounts do drip when the antifreeze is being added to the car radiator, clean them up and flush the area with water on driveways. Antifreeze smells and tastes good to dogs, but it can be lethal.

Frostbite

This can happen to a dog as well as humans people forget that. The body gets cold and pulls all the blood from the extremities to the centre of the body to stay warm. The animal's ears, paws, or tail can get cold enough that ice crystals can form in the tisue and damage it. Frostbite is not immediately obvious. Signs of any damage can take several several days to show.

If you suspect an animal may have frostbite, bring them into a warm environment right away. Soak their extremities in warm water for about 20 minutes to melt the ice crystals and restore circulation. It's important that you don't rub the frost-bitten area, however but make sure you do gently remove the ice crystals will cause a lot of damage. Once pet is warm, wrap up in some blankets and take to the vets immediately so they can treat any damage, for pain or infection if necessary.

Hypothermia

Or a body temperature that is below normal, is a condition that occurs when an animal is not able to keep their body temperature from falling below normal. It happens when animals spend too much time in cold temperatures, or when animals with poor health or circulation are exposed to cold. In mild cases, animals will shiver and show signs of depression, lethargy, and weakness. As the condition progresses, an animal's muscles will stiffen, her heart and breathing rates will slow down, and she will stop responding to stimuli.

If you notice these symptoms, you need to get your pet warm and take them to your vet. You can wrap them in blankets, possibly with a hot water bottle or an electric blanket wrapped in fabric to prevent against burning the skin. In severe cases, your vet can monitor heart rate and blood pressure and give warm fluids through an IV.

Dogs lose their scent in snow and ice and can easily get lost. Be sure they have their ID tags on and you keep them on lead and like humans, seem to be more susceptible to illness in the winter. Take your dog to the vets if you notice any signs of illness dogs do catch colds and canine influenza is spread easily from one to another and can be fatal in young puppies and older dogs.

Finally lets not forget our other pets.Keep your cat inside. Cats bodies are not designed for low temperatures Outdoors, cats can freeze, become lost or stolen, or be injured or killed. .

During the cold winter cats sometimes choose to sleep under the hoods of cars, where it is warmer. When the motor is started, the cat can be injured or killed in the fan belt. To prevent this, bang loudly on the hood of your car and wait a few seconds before starting the engine, to give a cat a chance

Don’t forget to give extra bedding and food to smaller animals provide shelter for them in a shed or garage,cover thier cages to help keep out drafts and rain.Heat pads can be used when temp drops below feezing Microwave ones can be brought from most petshops and last for up top 12 hours.Cover with a cloth and put under bedding.

Wild animals also suffer at this time of year .You may not normally feed them but do think about putting some daily fresh water & extra feed for the birds,badgers etc.

RESPONSIBLE OWNERS CARE FOR THEIR PETS. REPORT ABUSE DON’T LET IT HAPPEN

I must admit even my collies are going a bit soft in their old age, so now have neoprene jackets for days like this (brrr, tis freezing out there). The beauty of neoprene is that it doesn't retain the water like other dog coats - and even in this weather mine are in and out of the stream.

Keep an eye on paws as well, I remember during all that snow we had in January, the frozen snow cut my dogs' paws to shreds so keep an eye out and get some boots if necessary.

Thank you for timely advice.

Mine all have 5" foam beds with double duvets folded on top and I test for draughts by sitting there with bare feet - you would be suprised where a drafts will come from -

behind the sofa a cold drafts can shoot through the tiniest gap.

Also I put foot wax on in icy conditions as that was advised on here a few years ago - thank you.

Is there a simple way to see/feel? if your dogs are cold,I don't mean hypothermic just feeling chilled.Trixie certainly feels the cold far more than any other dog I've owned including my tough little Yorkie so any signs that I should be looking for.Trembling isn't that reliable as she trembles when she sees a squirrel/cat/dog/postman etc etc :rolleyes: She wears a coat when we are out now but I have to take it off when she's rabbiting as I'm tired of retrieving them from brambles.