UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Murf Update

Clare

Just thought I would put a little update on Murf as so many Fugees were so supportive :flowers:

Murf has been okay ish, much better than before his bloods improved, but has never got back to being "Murf" he has no interest in exercise but is cheery enough in the house and some days he will potter further than others. His personality and his habits have completly changed and its like having a completely new dog which has taken some adjusting to, but we still luffs him rather a lot :wub:

We decided to cancel the holiday we had booked as a week in a cottage which required quite a lot of walking to get to the good bits probably would have been too much for all of us, but all three of us needed a holiday so we booked somewhere we knew well for a few days. We could drive across the park to stunning views that we could just sit and enjoy. It was quite strange as OH would go for a long walk in the morning, whilst I stayed in the caravan and then we would swap in the afternoon :laugh: Murf did say though he was up to going to the pub a lot so we had to let him :laugh:

Some pics to share

Since a pup he has adored frisbees but we had to stop a few years ago because his joints couldn't cope any longer, but I thought I would get him another one to see if it got his interest in exercise to improve, it didn't really but he kept it close by :wub:

Photo0015.jpg

Photo0017.jpg

Photo0007.jpg

We always say his eyes have magic powers to make people do exactly what he wants :laugh:

I forgot to say before we left he had further bloods to check things were okay and that we could start to reduce the steriods as my vet feels that they are causing a lot of his behavioural and physical changes, but we got back to a message from him aying the bloods weren't good and were slightly worse, and could I make an appointment so we can discuss things, so we are going to see him on Monday.

:wub: :wub: :wub: murf :wub: :wub: :wub:

sorry to hear his bloods are a bit worse and i fully understand the behavioural changes with regard the steroids.... we are currently going through it again but i understand it is for the best so will persevere. let us know how you get on on monday :flowers:

All went okay with our visit today.

Basically there are two senarios, one that something is going on most likely a tumour somewhere that has not been picked up on the tests so far, from day one his bloods have been that of a dog with a tumour but he has had all the scans and nothing has been found. The other senario is that it is idiopathic auto-immune which is a long word for they don't know why his body is reacting as it is :wacko:

There were various options offered, such as redoing all the tests / xrays already done to see if anything is showing now that wasn't before, this isn't an option for me as I think Murf has gone through enough of this and hasn't coped well with drugs and procedures recently, and as my vet said the liklyhood of finding something that could be treated is unlikely now.

He also wanted to make me aware that removal of the spleen has been done before for this kind of thing, but it wasn't something he wanted to recommend and I agree 100% with him.

So in the end we were both in total agreement that as long as he is happy enough in himself to continue the medication as we are. Murf has been finding the taking of blood more and more stressful each time, so we are going to keep the blood tests to few and far between.

My vet is lovely and said what we had decided would be exactly what he would do if Murf was his dog, he also didn't charge me for the consolt as he said it could have been done over the phone but he wanted to talk through the options and explain everything clearly and felt it better in person. Puts my faith back in small animal vets :wub:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: I think you are doing the right thing, a couple of years back we were in the same boat all test results xrays came back normal...steroids fixed my lad then and he now has an auto immune problem an has flare ups... we plod on and deal with each new problem the best we can. i wish you and Murf all the best and wish you many happy years together :flowers: