UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Books Versus E-Readers

JulesB

I think your books are backed up to your Amazon Kindle account, according to this FAQ page: My link

I like the facility where the Kindle will read to you - just fancy having someone to read you to sleep, how marvellous :laugh:

I'm not sure the newspaper monthly rental thing would be of much use though. It's not as if newspapers are heavy and you wouldn't carry them about once you'd read them anyway.

I need to look on fleabay for a cover for it, no way am I paying £49 :ohmy:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another interested to see what folks say - I think I am now at the point of perhaps thinking I could use one some time - but don't think it would meet my current requirement of being able to be read in the bath. :laugh:

Me too, I'll be buying only when you can get waterproof ones! laugh.gif

Probably no help one way or the other, but I've just been reading about Surrey library service offering ebooks. It looks like you don't need to be in Surrey to use the service. Linky

OOOO thank you for that :flowers: I've joined and downloaded 3 books 2 of which I really rather fancied reading but wouldn't have bought (Ant & Dec's AutoBiography and John Barrowman's AutoBiography and 1 which sounds funny about a bloke who starts a cult by accident :laugh: ) I found the whole process rather frustrating tho - that website has to be the slowest and worst laid out I have come across in years, you need to constantly keep refreshing as the pages just hang there but I got there eventually and I have the 3 books for the next 14 days :biggrin:

You need to download and install Adobe Digital Editions (free) to be able to read the books but thats useful for other sites too, and when you download the books make sure the Digital Edition is closed down and then when the download prompt appears click "open" not save and it does the rest for you.

My lovely OH went out this morning and bought me a Sony Touch reader as my belated birthday present. I absolutely love it - after the first few minutes it feels completely natural reading from it, and the screen is really clear and easy on the eye.

I've download zillions of free books, bought one from Waterstones and reserved three from Surrey library. I am a very happy person biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I had some birthday money left over from my big five oh in May so went to Argos today and bought the Sony Touch Screen e reader. I'm off to see my bruv in the USA in a few weeks and was wondering how I'd fit all the books in my case. I also train it to work and read and the local charity shop is just chocca with my recycled books and there's nothing new. (I might have bought a luffley purple case online as well :rolleyes: ).

I too have joined Surrey Library - and yes Snow I agree what a carp website - but with the Sony software it just downloads straight into the reader library :biggrin:

Is it possible to do swapsies with books you've bought and read, I know that I won't be up for two weeks of the freebie classics while I'm away so bought the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy from Waterstones.

To me this is going to be as well as proper books.

Have you looked at the Sony Pocket reader? It's about the same price as the Kindle I think, and has the advantage of being able to handle lots of different e-book formats.

Although it says it's a pocket version it's not actually that much smaller than the Sony Touch, the screen was a decent size.

ETA - this is one of the best freebie e-book sites I found for classic/out of copyright books:

http://www.ebooktakeaway.com/

Edited by Fee

Hmmm, the Sony looks good but from the reviews I've seen people say you need an external light to read the screen easily (OH's eyes will be 60 shortly!), plus I thought one of the Kindle advantages is that you can download books directly to the device, whereas with the Sony you download them to your laptop/pc first, then transfer them. Is that right, Sony owners?

Ipad :biggrin:

It is brilliant, I am an avid reader, and also have to wear glasses to read. The Ipad the font goes up so large I don't need my glasses. I have downloaded the amazon kindle software so can get books from kindle, also have ibooks (not so much choice yet) and also get my audible account on it so have that as well. After being on holiday this week its been fab, no more lugging loads of books with me, I have internet on it, email, books and audible books......... its fab

Hmmm, the Sony looks good but from the reviews I've seen people say you need an external light to read the screen easily (OH's eyes will be 60 shortly!), plus I thought one of the Kindle advantages is that you can download books directly to the device, whereas with the Sony you download them to your laptop/pc first, then transfer them. Is that right, Sony owners?

Yes, the Sony you have to load onto your PC first and transfer to the reader.

The Kindle does load books directly, but as far as I can see you can only load books in Kindle's own format which means buying directly from their US-based bookshop, which excludes a lot of freebies and library options.

Maybe a Kindle owner can confirm that, as I'm only going by what I've read today?

Our local Waterstones have the Sony pocket on display so you can see the print/screen quality for yourself.

Edited by Fee

I have books on my DS but I find when Im in bright sunshine, ie on holiday I cant read the screen. As I read a book a day, one of these things would be ideal, but its a lot of money to spend to discover its no good in the sunshine. In the unlikely event of a sunny day, could those of you with these things go stand in the sunshine and see if you can still read it clearly ? :laugh:

The sony reads like a normal book, you can't read it in darkness as it isn't backlit, but equally you can read it in direct sunlight like you would a normal book. If you would need a light to read a normal book you'll need one for the sony.

Sony you do need to download books to your laptop and then transfer to your ereader, but I like that as it means I have the backup library. It allows you to upload many different formats. I get a lot of pdfs for work/college and it can handle those including most of the weird and wonderful graphs (it occasionally has a problem, but it's only been for some very odd formatting).

Think I would always go for an ereader that doesn't restrict formats too much. I've got one of the early versions of the sony, PRS-505? Think they were cheaper when I was bought one, but the exchange rate has made them more expensive.

Looking at the sony touch specs, it looks like they have attempted to address my biggest bugbear with it - you can search for specific terms within a book, which would help me when searching through the textbooks I have downloaded. You can also highlight text and write notes - again very useful for me. Very tempting to upgrade actually......