UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Books Versus E-Readers

JulesB

My OH is having a milestone birthday at the end of August and I'm thinking of getting him a book e-reader. He's really hard to buy for but as he works away Monday to Friday and always lugs several books with him on the train, I thought he might like an e-reader instead.

The new Amazon Kindle is out shortly, at £149. It's the top end of my budget even with family chipping in a bit so I hope it will be OK.

I just wondered if any Fugees have e-readers, and what they think of them. Me, I think I prefer a nice book in my hands, but as I've never used an e-reader, I'm open to being converted.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH thought of buying me one a while ago, but detected from the wrinkling of my nose that this might not be the most welcome gift. :rolleyes:

Yet another interested to see what folks say - I think I am now at the point of perhaps thinking I could use one some time - but don't think it would meet my current requirement of being able to be read in the bath. :laugh:

Just one thought, not sure what type of book your husband reads, but is it worth checking a few titles of the sort he does read to see if they are available for download. Not sure how it works, but have a feeling that some types of titles are not yet available.

Edited by Mrs B

Another person interested in any feedback from someone who's used one.

It's something I've considered, I spent a huge chunk of my life on trains and also end up carting books around, so like the idea of an e-reader in principle.

I was worried whether the screen would be viewable in bright light/sunlight - it would be a pain not to be able to sit outside and read.

So, I thought my sister and mother who are huge readers and spend time on trains/communting would absolutely hate them. Bearing in mind my parents thought, but were advised against it, the most suitable 18th birthday present for my sister would be a set of Shakespear might give some idea of her reading. She also reads lots and fast so for a week *relaxing* holiday she'll take 10 or so books.

I poo poo'd the idea of getting one for her, but she loves them. I'm not sure if it's a particular make but I can ask her at the weekend.

My mother on a similar vein, uses her DS lite for story reading. Again something I dismissed, but my sister bought her one of the "games" with books for Christmas and she thinks it's brilliant.

I've heard of many other avid readers who find them brilliant, it's the need to read that wins them over!

Mxxx

I love love love mine :biggrin:

I got bought a sony ereader by my parents for my birthday over a year ago. I take it practically everywhere with me - it's become a bit like my ipod. I love the fact that if I go away with work or to college etc. I can take a load of books without having to take a load of books. I find it comfortable to read from, and I thought it would feel weird to hold but it really doesn't. I've also found free text books to download which has been useful for college, although it has to be said using reference books is less easy on the reader than a real book would be, but the money I've saved makes the hassle worth it. For normal reading it's great though.

I've got a kindle and I love it, use it at home etc. Doesn't have a lot of the obscure fiction that I love, but I enjoy hunting for those books etc... it's great for out of copyright classics that I would never get round to reading.

You can't beat a beautifully produced book though, so I'm a happy fan as both.

I have been looking at the Kindle for myself as I liked the idea of being able to make text bigger but then I found out that "bigger" only means size 12 font, which isn't that much bigger than normal font, I also decided against one on the basis that very very few of the types of books I read are available as ebooks, and it'll be a while (if ever) before they are available and ebooks are no different in price to "proper" books so I'd be forking out £149 for nothing - I could buy another couple of book shelves for that and fill them with books (tho hubby would kill me :laugh: ).

I'm going to wait til they are cheaper and more of the types of books I read are available.

Never used one myself but tend to think I wouldn't be easily converted.

The internet is a great source of information you want to find quickly, convey to others at a distance easily, I can see space advantages etc but for anything to keep, reference regularly myself etc I think I'd still rather have the book.

You just can't beat a brand new hardback book, the smell of it, the cracking noise when you first open it, and know your the first person to read it, I even take books from the bottom of the pile so I don't get one every body has been fingering laugh.gif......I luffs books, I don't think an E reader would have that same specialness that a new book has, but I may be slightly strange rolleyes.gif

I'm getting excited now, I had a birthday a while back and my OH couldn't think what to get me, so he's now saying he'll get me an e-reader if I want one biggrin.gif

So the next question.......

Sony E-reader or Kindle (or other) and why?

Must admit I like the look of the Sony, but it is more expensive than Kindle and isn't stand alone so you have to download books via a PC wacko.gif

ETA - thanks for the library link, being able to borrow e-books for free might just swing it, I spend a fortune on books atm.

Edited by Fee

Can't speak from my own experience because I rarely read now - lost the love of it when I had depression - I listen to audio books now.

However, I bought a Sony E reader for my son who loves books and reading. He loves it even though he likes the lok and feel of a real book. He does a huge mount of commuting and reads as he travels. He finds the E reader light and easy to use and can get loads (sorry can't remember how many) of books on it.

Hope that helps :flowers:

With the Sony you can get all sorts of books.

The Kindle seems to be only for Kindle books which you can only get from Amazon (correct me if I'm wrong) and they get Wi Fii'd direct to it so you have no back up.

I've been looking into it more since the thread came up today, not as an alternative to books but an as well as :D I'm drawn to the Sony Touch screen thingy.