UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Games For Stalls

lil_angel

We're always on the look out for things to improve our stalls at events. Recently we've found games are generally more popular than just buying items so we're trying to compile a list of games we can use for future stalls. All suggestions welcome :flowers:

OK I'll let you into my little secret idea I had which has worked brilliantly - for HWAR I had 40 prizes and came home with just one.£1.00 a pop

Tennis ball bob - each ball is numbered,there's a prize for each ball.The dogs get to choose the ball themselves,quite funny seeing how confused some of them are trying to choose one ball from so many but it has done really really well.I used the vouchers donated to buy some really good prizes as well as treats.I got some balls from a Fugee member for a donation to another rescue,scrounged some and others I got on ebay - but only from buyers close to me as postage is too expensive nowadays.Oh and the dogs keep the ball as well.I was going to bring it to Nadder Valley if you want it (and if I have anything left after my next show).

Also do a 50p canine lucky dip,again very very popular - am struggling to get enough prizes now but ebay has come up with a few.I used the free samples from JWB,plus the tuggers and poop dispensers they donated as well as finding some good cheap packs of squeakies which I split up into individual prizes.Kids especially like this one as it's so cheap.First one I did had a "star" hidden on one of the dips with a larger prize but not having that hasn't affected the popularity.

I don't do the traditional Tombola now,was just too difficult trying to get decent prizes for it and I find folks do want something for their money,even the free samples seemed to be popular.

I've done a 'What Breed' competition in the past which did well. I did it as a draw so all correct answer sheets went in the hat and one was chosen at the end of the event for a prize, but you could give smaller prizes for all correct entries if you wanted.

I had a board with numbered pictures of dogs that had appears on the Oldies website, including a few more unusual breeds, then printed off answer sheets listing all the breed names with a space for people to write in the number for the correct matching picture. I charged 50p per answer sheet.

It was very popular, people liked trying their hand at recognising different breeds. I made it quite hard so only got a few people who got all the breeds correct, but you could make it easier for a children's competition.

I've still got the files with the pictures and answer sheets, so if anyone else wants to give it a go let me know and I'll send you them.

Would like to see the tennis ball game if you could bring it to Nadder Valley Lynne.

Games I do include teddy bear tombola where people pay £1 a go and win a prize every time. Lucky dip for children always popular. The teeny beanies that Macdonalds gave away with their happy meals are always useful for that. Latest addition is a games where you pass a loop through a course and try not making contact with the wire making it buzz. It was very popular today. We have 3 goes for £1 and they get a lolly for taking part.

I've been doing summer fayres for nursing homes in the area and the mystery bottle stall works really well.

Get loads of bottles of anything (buy cheap ones, ask for donations for something a bit tastier!). It can be wine, whisky, bottled water, vinegar, tomato sauce, anything. I buy bottles now when I see them on BOGOF and then stash them away for the next time. Then get the same number of empty bottles. Fill up the empty bottles with tap water and put the tops back on, stick on a label which says "sorry" or "better luck next time" or "try again". Wrap them all up in newspaper and, mix up the full ones and the mock ones and stand them in crates. Pound a go to pull out a bottle. On the last one I did it was a really hot day and people were just as happy to win a bottle of tap water. I had the water bottles stood by my feet and people were coming along asking if they could buy them!

I've also had a large Connect 4 game which I let kids play for free. While they're amusing themselves the parents talk to us about dog rescue and adopting dogs and volunteering. I borrowed the game from a friend who works for the local youth service, but I've now got a cheap inflatable version myself.

Teddy tombola worked well for us too. Five tickets for a pound, win on a number ending 5 or 0. I got all the teddies from Freecycle. Just get them washed in the machine and hung on the line to dry and they're fine. But make sure you go through the bags and take out the good ones. Sometimes you get quite expensive teddies which make better prizes or special ones (like Christmas themed ones) which would sell in an online rescue auction in the festive season. (Wiccaweys usually have one!)

You also get good books on Freecycle for a book stall. I'm lucky enough to have plenty of storage space at home so I store them in banana boxes (already organised so people can see what's on offer) and just fill up the car with boxes every time I'm off to a show. Pop in a small table, a cover and a poster with prices on and you can set up in 5 minutes flat. Any that don't sell come home with me for the next time.

Good luck!

Have seen the bottle game done and it was very popular.My biggest problem is lack if storage space,I have a tiny 1 bed house which is in danger of being overtaken by Oldies stall stuff.I do have a loft to keep some stuff in but a trapped nerve in my neck makes getting stuff up there difficult.Fee I like the breeds game idea,how do you get prize to them - by post later?

catch the rat---

plastic drain pipe with section cut out

baseball bat or tennis racket

2 yrds heavy duty industrial strength knicker elastic

2 yards rope

one small sandbag stuffed with whatever and covered withe fur. MB must fit inside pipe,

A prize if they stop the rat from going into the second part of the pipe.

everyone will want three goes for a £1 and just enjoy whacking something.

• 2 weeks later...

Good one today at the show I attended - especially popular with the children.

Plastic ducks in a tub with a cup hook in the beak,had to pick one out with a hooked stick - not as easy as first appeared :rolleyes: Underneath the duck was a number with a corresponding prize - they had 4 options:

Dog goodie bag

Childs goodie bag

Dog toy and

Lucky Dip.

Would be very easy to do and the kids really enjoyed it.

• 1 month later...

Knew this thread was around somewhere.2 at the last show I quite liked.

Tubes with small gifts inside,one each for boys,girls and adults.Pick a tube to see what the prize is - although person running it did say it was becoming more difficult to find small prizes so I thought maybe small boxes could be used.

The other was a variation on traditional Tombola but using a pack of cards instead.Prizes all had a picture card underneath them and to win you had to pick the matching picture card from a shuffled pack - means no folding up of dozens of tiny raffle tickets :laugh:

• 4 months later...

I do a Lucky dip which is very popular with the children,probably because I only ask 50p a go.They love having a go for their own dogs.Might try a Canine Tombola as well,especially with some of the higher value prizes.Was talking at work about the Freecycle stuff I got and a couple said they wouldn't put them on a Tombola as too high a value but I don't know what else to do with them.Raffles are a pain as if they aren't still at the Show that means posting items on afterwards and that is just too expensive now :mad:

I refused to post anything from our raffle at Canine Capers. Everyone who bought a ticket was told when the raffle was going to be drawn and that prizes wouldnt be sent out so they would need to stay until then.

I find it difficult to have a raffle when its someone else's show though.

I did a "lucky lolly" dip, £1 a go. Some sticks had red nail varnish on the bottom and some had orange, and some had nothing. Stuck the lollies in a piece of oasis (floral foam) so the kids picked the lollies from the top. The prizes were all cuddly dogs. The orange were the "star" prizes, I had about 5 really large cuddly dogs, and if they won a red one they had the choice of any of the smaller dogs - the ones with nothing on got nothing, except a lolly of course. Went quite well and a lot of the dogs had been donated or bought from car boots at about 30p each. Am going to do that one again; I bought the lollies from a pound shop where I got quite a lot in a bag for £1.

Oooh I like that idea Olive - might well pinch that.I currently do a Teddy Tombola - prize every time but it involves folding up yet more fiddly tickets which I am getting heartily sick of now :laugh: (and I usually end up swapping the Teddy's around anyway when someone has their eye on a particular one)Like the colour coding idea very much - and of course it can e reused - excellent,thanks a lot