UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ghosts

Laura_E

Ok, so this is a bit of a strange topic, but something strange happened last night and I was interested in other peoples views.

I had just gone to bed when I heard gurgling noises coming from my lodgers room. I assumed he was just snoring, which he normally only does when he has been drinking, but thought nothing of it. Then as I went to turn out the light I heard a muffled "help", I went to stand outside his room to make sure I had heard correctly, and then he mumbled it again, but clearer this time. I quickly opened his door and turned the light on to make sure he was ok and he was lying there with his eyes open in a state of shock. I asked him what had happened and he said that somebody had been strangling him. He knew that there was nobody in the room, but said he could feel a pair of hands round his throat squeezing the life out of him.

Now, he isn't the type of person to get scared easily and is quite cynical by nature, but he was so shaken up by the experience that he ended up sleeping in my room for the night (I should just add here that he is also my best friend, not just a random lodger!). This morning he was still really shaken up by the experience and was talking about getting somebody in to do an exorcism!! unsure.gif

I tried talking about it logically to see if it could have been a dream that seemed very real, but he was adamant that it wasn't.

I have never had a 'bad feeling' about this house and have personally never had any bad experiences. At night time I have heard what sounds like foot steps on the landing and in my bedroom, but nothing sinister. When I told my mum about it this morning she said that if there was anything nasty in the room Tess would have reacted. But I think she's been watching too many scary movies!

Although I have previously lived in a house where lots of unexplained things happened, I am trying to stay logical about all this- but if I'm honest, it has scared me. rolleyes.gif I've always been a total wuss when it comes to ghosts etc.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences, or do you think me and my lodger are just being a couple of drama queens! laugh.gif

I don't really believe in ghosts.

I'm in the "everything has a scientific explanation" corner. The mind is a very complex and extremely powerful thing and I have hallucinated in the past when I've known that what I saw/felt could not possibly be happening, but it was incredibly real at the time and frightened the life out of me.

Your friend could well have had a nightmare which was so powerful that he believed he felt the hands round his neck even on waking.

Edited by merledogs

Not drama queens at all. You need help with this although i'm not sure who to contact , do you have a reputable pyschic nearby who could advise you. I dont know if you're into this kind of thing but imagine yourselves inside or surrounded by a ball of light as this will be a form of protection and ask for guardian angels to help you. Has your lodger had anything else odd happen recently [or you]?

Not drama queens at all. You need help with this although i'm not sure who to contact , do you have a reputable pyschic nearby who could advise you. I dont know if you're into this kind of thing but imagine yourselves inside or surrounded by a ball of light as this will be a form of protection and ask for guardian angels to help you. Has your lodger had anything else odd happen recently [or you]?

Nothing similar to this. He isn't particularly stressed out at the moment, only drinks on special occasions and has no history of mental health- unless being a moody sod counts! rolleyes.gif

I am a total wuss when it comes to anything 'supernatural' and he always plays things down, so it was quite unsettling to see him so scared. It took him a while to get back to sleep afterwards and he was telling me about other things that had happened when he was younger, but nothing in this house. Same with me really, lots of strange things happened in my last house (and continued to take place when the new people moved in), but nothing in this house.

It sounds very like a thing I suffer from occasionally and have done since I was a teenager, you feel convinced your awake but you can't move a muscle, and see and feel all sorts of things from people coming into the room to someone sitting on your chest and restricting your breathing, if I remember right, research done on this found the person to be asleep, there is a name for it but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called, it's very distressing when it first happens, I used to dread it but it happens less and less now.

It sounds very like a thing I suffer from occasionally and have done since I was a teenager, you feel convinced your awake but you can't move a muscle, and see and feel all sorts of things from people coming into the room to someone sitting on your chest and restricting your breathing, if I remember right, research done on this found the person to be asleep, there is a name for it but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called, it's very distressing when it first happens, I used to dread it but it happens less and less now.

I have had something similar, where I swore there were hands holding me down, pinning

me to the bed.

Apparently it's a type of muscle paralysis and can effect any paty of the body,

including the neck muscles.

Laura, an exorcism is usually only used as the final resort, there are several

other things thay can be done before this, such as a blessing etc, and not

all vicars/priests are authorised to do this, only a select few

hope thats helps :run4hills: :laugh:

Laura, an exorcism is usually only used as the final resort, there are several

other things thay can be done before this, such as a blessing etc, and not

all vicars/priests are authorised to do this, only a select few

hope thats helps :run4hills: :laugh:

That's what I said to my lodger, I think he was still in panic mode at the time.

We do know a priest that does exorcisms (I'm catholic) and he said that he has only ever done a few, but plenty of blessings. He once told us a story about when he did an exorcism at the local pub and it made my blood run cold! rolleyes.gif

I think Glen probably was experiencing sleep paralysis, he was just very freaked out by it all.

I have to say, I do believe in ghosts as I experienced a number of unexplained happenings in my last house, but I have never had a bad feeling in this house.

I feel like a bit of an idiot for starting this post now! blush02.gif

I have nightmares/sleep walk quite frequently and in the past I have been known to scream the house is on fire, tried to cook pasta (burn on my arm) and the scariest one I punched my ex clean in the face whilst asleep. The impact and him crying in pain woke me up. No idea why I did it xx

There is something called night terrors, I think. Similar to a nightmare but not...if that makes sense! the sleep paralysis sounds the most likely, and I do believe in ghosts, we used to live in

a haunted cottage. The cats used to rub round legs that weren't there, purring happily, and the dogs would look up at nothing and wag their tails. It was a bit unnerving at first, but we decided if the animals weren't worried, why should we be? I suggest you put your dog in your lodger's room at bedtime, if anything nasty is there, you'll soon know.

A believer in spirit presences here, but this situation does look like sleep paralysis.

An old footpath used to run through where our house stands. Someone regularly trudges through late in the evening, doesn't bother me or Polly but Wispa used to get very cross about it. She just wuffs at the intruder now and watches him until he has gone, but it was difficult when we first came here as she used to pitch right into him and bite at empty air.

I am sure there is something. When I had horses, every evening at 5 0'clock a lady in a brown riding habit walked into the tack room and disappeared, neither the horses or the dogs were afraid of her so neither ws I.I am not the only one to see her

Also, when I lost my previous dog I had an undenialble urge to go to the rescue kennels where I got Holly from. After I got her home she used to look up from her bed at the door and wag her tail and I could hear Romany's disc jingling.

So, I believe there is something we don't understand

Barbra