UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Garden Fred 2010

phoebejo

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

We've been busy re-arranging our garden, well rather Mr Hazell has. He spent two days last week erecting a six foot high fence all along the end of the garden to keep the chooks contained. They now have a massive run up there all to themselves and my fruit & veg is safe from their gobs :laugh: Now that I can safely plant things without them being wrecked I want to sort out the area under our wild plum tree. It's like a dust bowl under it at the moment but I'm going to dig in some of my lovely compost. I haven't a clue what will grow there though. The area is about 5ft by 5ft and it's very shaded under there. Is there anything quite hardy that will appreciate it there? I really can't leave it as it is because it looks quite ugly.

thought i would let those know who are thinking of screening that wilkinsons have theirs on offer, i have just bought a 2metre high x 3metre long roll of brush screen for £9.97, they also have fence paint for £3 for 5 litres. they have all sorts of different screening on offer and delivery to your house is only £5 :biggrin: :biggrin:

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/bin/venda?ex=co_wizr-locayta&template=wz_locayta&pageno=1&perpage=10&collate=pdxttype%3Apdxtcolourn%3Apdxtbrandn%3Apdxtsizen&threshold=43&fieldrtype=type&termtextrtype=invt&typertype=exact&typekeywordsearch=keyword&termtextkeywordsearch=screening

Edited by griff

The hardy Gardenia which I bought last year has flowered and smell is absolutely divine :wub:

1-59.jpg

Seems to very slow growing but at least it lasted through the cold winter we had, unlike one of my Rhododendrons which has died off.

I bought an indoor Gardenia at the same time and it was doing really well, but I think I must have overwatered it when I repotted it so some of the leaves are going yellow. Am going to pull it out to check that the roots are not soggy and then repot it to hopefully give it another chance.

Edited by merledogs

thats a pretty flower :flowers: we can't have flowers in the back garden as diez is allergic to bee/wasp stings i am thinking about a canary date palm :unsure: i thought about suberging a pot in the rockery and putting the palm in the pot so it will spread over the edge of the decking..... i also spotted a bamboo plant, about 3 metres high reduced to £20...it has stems and on some of the stems it looks as if the leaves have been pulled off..... i think it might be worth risking the £20 for the instant effect

I bought a huge planter at B&Q this morning to re-pot my Japanese Maple. Nearly broke my flippin back repotting it because once I went to pull it out of the old tub, I realised it was too heavy for me to lift because the roots/compost were solid :rolleyes: I had to roll it onto its side and then drag it out onto the lawn. Next problem came when putting it into the new tub - the old tub was square shaped, whereas the new one is round so the damn thing wouldn't go in and I had to spend another half hour faffing about and working compost loose, then repacking it with compost once it was in the new tub. I won't be doing that again in a hurry :rolleyes:

Anyway, at least it has a bit more root-space to grow into now and it does look much better. That fence is 6 ft, so you can see how big it is.

1-60.jpg

i love that pot :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

now fruit trees..never bought plants of them before but idealworld.tv were doing fruit trees quite reasonable (not sure how big they grow) but they were saying they could grow in pots and today they were doing a apple tree for free! you just pay the £6 p&p :ohmy:

Mini fruit trees are much more delicate than the big ones, so do make sure you get ones that are in good condition.

This isn't a great time of year to be moving trees about, to be honest - it's very hot and dry, so you might get one that's been underwatered, and it's easier to damage them moving them in leaf. I would wait and get some in the winter, unless you happen to stumble on some particularly good ones somewhere.

http://www.kenmuir.co.uk sells minarette style trees which apparently fruit reasonably well in large pots. I've not bought minarettes from them, but I have had a (larger garden) cherry from them and strawberries, and can recommend them as a supplier.

Worth bearing in mind that you very likely won't get fruit for a couple years and these are trees after all - so you will probably have them for 20 or 30 years if you look after them. So if you do fall in love with a £40 tree, you can always justify it by thinking how very cheap it is spread over a 20 year period! laugh.gif

If you've got a southfacing wall, figs do really well in hot places with their roots restricted.

Looks good Mel :flowers:

Last year I put a sycamore seedling into a pot to see whether it would grow. It didn't like being moved so dithered for a while, but then started growing. Its roots have outgrown the first pot already and I have put it in a bigger pot but I suspect it will outgrow that pretty quickly as well.

Edited by merledogs

A question for the gardening gurus

We have tulips planted in a raised planter, the flowers and leaves have now died off. Do we just pull them out and throw them away and get fresh for next year or could we cut off the leaves and save the bulb part and replant them next year or do we pull all the leaves off and just leave the bulb part in there? will it reflower next year?

Thanking you in anticipation of your assistance :)