UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Whiskey Galore

Laura_E

Hes had tablets and some baths and its healed up beautifully.

Glad to hear that as poor Whiskey hates having the collar on. Also glad to hear that baths are part of the treatment as I've had the windows open all morning to try and get rid of the smell in the house and am freezing! He can't help the fact that he stinks, but it's pretty over-bearing!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We took Whiskey to the vets tonight and unfortunately he had to have a large section of his back shaved in order for the vet to treat the skin. He has a lot of open sores all over his back that have been caused from an untreated flea allergy. The vet was initially concerned that he had developed mange, but after some examination she felt that it hadn't progressed to that stage yet.

She gave him an injection to help ease the pain and irritation and has prescribed some cream that has to be applied twice a day. She also advised me to give him a bath (which I was very happy about!) so I gave him a good scrub with some T-Tree shampoo tonight, which he seemed to find quite soothing. The amount of fleas that were washing away in the bath was a bit concerning though. No wonder the poor boy was in so much discomfort sad01_anim.gif In the morning I will treat him with strong hold, and then again in two weeks.

He doesn't like having the cream put on as I think it stings him, so he tries to roll from side to obstruct me as much as possible rolleyes.gif He also now has to wear the buster collar permanently untill the sores have gone. So as you can imagine, he is feeling quite sorry for himself at the moment and thinks that I am an evil, cruel person!

But despite all that he is going through he is still an incredibly sweet and affectionate dog and is so well behaved. I left him downstairs for a short time earlier today to have a shower and he just went and lay on Tess's bed without any fuss at all and last night he slept in the kitchen with no fuss either.

I also can't get over how fantastic he is with the cats, I have never known a dog to be so well behaved around them.

I want to try and get some better pictures of him, but will obviously have to wait for the collar to come off. He definitely has the face and ears of a King Charles Spaniel and the body of a Jack Russell. He is incredibly cute and would make a lovely lap dog for somebody.

As he is now partially bald I was wondering if it would be possible to get him a jumper promoting the Oldies Club?

Anyway, I will stop rambling on now! rolleyes.gif

Im glad the vet has been able to give him stuff to help relieve the itch. If hes anything like Snowy the skin may heal very quickly and will hopefully mean that Whiskey wont have to wear the buster collar for too long.

This was Snowy after shaving:-

DSC00890.jpg

5 days later

DSC00906.jpg

4 days after that

Snowytreats.jpg

Yes, it looks exactly like Snowy's actually. Did they know what was wrong with him?

The only problem now is that the little bugger has started to gnar at the end of his tail as that is the only area that he can reach. Think we might need a big collar rolleyes.gif

Here is a picture of Whiskey's back. The red spots haven't shown up very well because of his colouring, but there has already been quite a big improvement. Although, as I mentioned before he has started to chew the end of his tail instead now and has also discovered that throwing himself around the carpet helps to scratch the bits he can't reach!

Imagewh.jpg

Whiskey is back at home recovering from his operation and feeling rather sorry for himself.......

Image015.jpg

The vet gave his teeth a good clean, washed out his ears and clipped his nails too, so he has had a full MOT.

She also said that his anal glands were really full and thinks this might be part of the reason that he has been gnarring at himself, so that has now been sorted too.

He attracted quite a lot of attention in the vets and one lady even took the details of the Oldies Club website for when he becomes available for adoption. All the staff were full of praise for him and said that he has been so well behaved and didn't make any fuss at all. Bless him.

His skin is looking worse today......

Whisk.jpg

He managed to have a go at it whilst waiting for his operation. I'm really hoping it clears up soon as I feel guilty keeping him in that buster collar. I think this latest episode has definitely cemented my role as the wicked foster mother though! He keeps looking at me as if to say 'what are you going to do to me next'!!!