UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cat Attack!

Hollysdad

It’s nearly 3 years since Sam's last rabies vaccinations and in that time she has handled, held and restrained hundreds and hundreds of unvaccinated animals all without incident. Until the other night......

So its more than a bit bizarre that she has found herself having to get a rabies post exposure booster the other morning due a local cat that literally launched itself at her the other night whilst she was having her dinner, all teeth and claws and leaving 2 open wounds on her hand.

Think of a group of half a dozen people sitting around the dinner table and whoosh, from out of nowhere Domino appeared and dived under the table and Sam put her hand down to protect her feet!

Domino (the guilty party) is pretty much a feral cat, over the last 6 months Sam has been 1 of only 2 people that can pick him up and then only for small periods. Because of this and his ability to hide whenever a vet visits he had not been rabies vaccinated (most cat owners are aware of the inbuilt vet appointment radar cats have). This coupled with his aggressive behavior meant that she was not taking any chances and went though a full wound wash and clean procedure and then because she did have not access to iodine and to the abject horror of the bar staff she proceed to wash the wound again with neat alcohol, this was Arrack the local whiskey!!!

The following morning after Sam had taken a back a post operative dog to Dr. P for a check up she went to a local hospital for the first of her boosters. Sam will then be on the look out for Domino with her rabies gloves on and a crate as clearly his uncharacteristic aggression could be caused by illness or even rabies and he needs to see a vet as soon as possible.

The latest on this is despite, Sam and helpers chasing, they have not yet caught Domino. So think of the keystone cops running around and I think you will get the picture. The hunt continues.....

Domino has to be caught and checked by a vet or at minimum be observed for 7 days, this will then indicate if Sam has to have more jabs or not. She already has a bruise thats a dark as the black hole of calcutta from the first post exposure jabs, so fingers crossed she will not need more.

Even though we vaccinate 100’s of animals locally each year it never pays to be complacent in a country where over 50 people a year are still dying from this vaccine preventable disease

It costs us a couple of pounds to vaccinate an animal here, less than a price of takeaway coffee to literally save lives. Sam is joking about this with me over the phone, but I know from her tone of voice she is a bit worried :-(

Edited by Hollysdad

Hope that they catch Domino soon and it turns out he was just being extra grumpy. Big Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif for Sam.

Most of the time we don't realise how lucky we are in this country. The fact that we are rabies free is something that will only continue if all are vigilant and sensible.

I hope Domino is caught soon so he can be treated and that Sam doesnt need any more jabs. :GroupHug: I remember her story of how horrid they were :( You must be worried too Mark. Its always going to be harder not being there, though I know you are going out soon. Once again you all do a fantastic job and have my utmost respect! :flowers:

We have domino in a crate now and so far he is not showing any rabid beahavior although he has the major arse about being caught and crated

I have another jab on Monday and another on Friday so my arm will look like a pin chusion when we are done !

I will be happier if domino is still alive and well this time next week