UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Is It Really Sensible To Cycle In Dangerous Road Conditions?

Katiebob

As with everything else in life, it all comes down to common sense and decency. If everybody could just keep their brains switched on and focussed, and lose the idea of being 'king/queen of the road', then most acidents simply wouldn't happen

Couldn't agree with you moreflowers.gif

hubby would never ride his motorcycle in this weather (or any bad weather really) but then he doesnt have to having the car or van to choose from, having said that the roads were so treacherous i was worried sick all last week as he works as a multi drop courier in a mainly residential (therefore not gritted ) area.

but there are those who have no option and i agree that more common sense and focus needs to be employed by everyone on the road in order to ensure their safety.

Would agree completely but it is a little more than common sense, it's about being aware of who else is on the road and anticipating who may be - at all times.

For children (u16) they are as likely to be killed or seriously injured as a cyclist than they are as a car user. And most at risk as a pedestrain! That's obviously due to exposure but gives you an idea of vulnerability. Children when asked so that they don't wear helmets because they are not fashionable so the best advice given to parents is to get them a helmet that not only fits and conforms to safety standards, but that the child likes the colour/design of because otherwise it will stay in its box!!! Needless to say parents also play a part as role models...

For cyclists in 2006 39% of injuries were to the head/face and 43% to arms/shoulders. The reason there is not currently a law to force the wearing of helmets is because it is deemed to be unenforceable and so is not supported. The political will however is there to do so and it has already been consulted on.

The red light Ian (I suspect a reading error :wink: :laugh: ) was not for safety but to encourage cycling - as cycas posted, sustainable travel is a govn. set target for local authorities and to be encouraged, but there is a fine line between encouraging cycling and keeping your road casualty stats down at the same time. Any L.A. road safety officer will tell you of the conflicts the two goals cause!

We are all responsible for ourselves and others when on the roads and the answer is not to ban everyone but ourselves (as one group of young at-work van drivers suggested - lorries, foreign drivers, old drivers, taxis.... :laugh: )

I always worry for the cyclists when Im driving on icy roads. If I go into a skid i have 4 wheels and hope that some will retain traction. A bike looses a wheel and more often than not looses the rider as well. Having had a motorbike for years, and cycled when I couldnt afford a car, I do my best to give a wide berth etc but my anxiety is more for the bike rider coming off than me hitting them when the roads are bad :unsure:

There is a move to make it legal for cyclists to turn left at a red light. In London they are by far and away the biggest road casualty sad01_anim.gif ..................

The red light Ian (I suspect a reading error wink.gif laugh.gif ) was not for safety but to encourage cycling - as cycas posted, sustainable travel is a govn. set target for local authorities and to be encouraged, but there is a fine line between encouraging cycling and keeping your road casualty stats down at the same time. Any L.A. road safety officer will tell you of the conflicts the two goals cause!

I had to ggole this as I didn't have a clue what you meant (I was thinking of turning left after a red light changed above) but he's saying that if turning left then they should just run the light - but only in London?

To be honest it would probably take more than that to get me on a bike regularly these days (though a threatened £1.25 p/l fuel charge next year seems likely to make people think ohmy.gif ) but to me it's more the responsibility of we car (lorry or bus) drivers to be aware of bikes that may be forced inside us as they're obviously more vulnerable than us. Cyclists also to avoid, where possible, getting alongside / into a bus or lorry blind spot if it's turning left (assuming they've indicated of course).

Im a (pedal power) cyclist and to be honest i rely on my bike the way drivers rely on their cars so no matter what the weather i dont leave my bike at home, i guess the difference for me is when the roads are bad and the pedestrians few, i can hog the paths to avoid icy roads and numpty drivers who dont leave room for a rat let alone a bike rider, i can also get off my bike and push it if needed so id like to think im not causing any extra bother to anyone when the weather gets a bit nippy :flowers:

As with everything else in life, it all comes down to common sense and decency. If everybody could just keep their brains switched on and focussed, and lose the idea of being 'king/queen of the road', then most acidents simply wouldn't happen

Well said

I don't cycle much, but do obey the rules of the road when I do.

I have been nearly taken out a few times in London as a pedestrian crossing on the 'green man' by cyclists who don't seem to think that they should stop at any red light. Equally I have seen a lot of cars too close to cyclists.

The helmet thing is obviously debatable but the thing I tend to see a lot is kids with helmets but parents without, doesn't that just teach the kid that when you are 'grown-up' helmets are not needed :unsure: If parents want their kids to wear one, then they should (at least when they are with the child).

I work in Crawley where some of the pavements have cycle lanes and I think TBH they are bl**dy dangerous! Most of the pavements are not wide enough, it is not clear in all cases which side is which, they stop and start with no apparent rhyme or reason and cyclists (in Crawley) assume that we have rear view mirrors in our heads and zoom past with no warning.

Edited by sanrossscot

A few years ago we were coming up to the lights at Kentish Town. There was a quite a lot of traffic and the lights turned red. Ray had started to slow down as the cars in front did and then we stopped. Bang! A cyclist had gone straight into the back of us - he had not seen our brake lights go on nor had he noticed all the other cars stopped.

He broke one of the read lights and as it was a volvo we had at the time it cost him over £300.00 - but give the guy credit. He stopped, he exchanged numbers etc and when the estimate was given he paid up pronto.

Ray said had it been him he would have left the broken cycle and legged it so the cyclist was honest.

Years ago I was crossing on a pedestrian crossing near the finacial times building. The bus had stopped for me to cross as had a car but a motorcycle decided he didn't want to and nearly hit me. He was stopped just around the corner at the traffic lights and I was so angry I ran up and whacked him round the head with my bag (or portmanteau as my mates referred to it). It took him by such suprise that he fell of the bike.

As he looked up I said can you f****** see me now you pratt? I got a round of appaulse from the bystanders who had seen him nearly knock me over.

I got into work and then started to shake all over with the shock.

People who step straight out onto a crossing expecting everyone to stop dead should be fined imo. You must give the drivers/cyclists time to see you.

We all need to take more care whether we drive cars, ride bikes or are road crossers. We are all responsible for our own safety but have to be aware of other people and their safety too.

Edited by Kathyw

One difference is that although horse riding is a great hobby, it is a hobby. It's also one that involves travelling an awful lot higher up than being on a bicycle.

It's also a hobby that involves using many roads.

Spot on about the height!

Having come off both, i can say id rather fall from the low gravity usually side on action from a bicycle, as opposed to getting thrown head first at a great height from a bucking/rearing horse :biggrin:

Wouldnt do either without a hat though

OT I know but in Florida you can turn right (as they drive on the opposite side) even if the lights are on red, so long as nothing else is coming. Keeps the traffic flowing.

I can sort of see the logic BUT in a relatively small country like our, with plenty of foreign drivers just passing through etc surely a system with regional variations would prove a nightmare, (eg with some drivers possibly not looking / assuming the bike had gone through in towns the rule didn't exist and even more accidents?) huh.gif