UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dilemma

Laura_E

There is a man that walks his dog over the local park to me that recently lost his easy going Labrador to old age. Him and his wife have had dogs for most of their lives and after losing their last dog, decided to get another. A few other dog walkers did suggest some local rescue centres, but they said they didn't want a dog with 'baggage'! huh.gif

So, they decided to buy a puppy from a breeder instead. She is a lovely Golden Retriever and a typically excitable puppy. The thing is, this man is clearly finding it difficult to manage her and I have seen him REALLY lose his temper with her on a number of occasions. He is 75 years of age, and I am not saying that age has anything to do with it as a lot of 80 years olds are fitter than some 20 year olds, but this man looks exhausted every time I see him.

Today I was over the park with Tess when the puppy saw her and decided that she wanted to play. But the man doesn't let her off the lead at the moment and keeps her on a very short extendable lead, which doesn't give him much control. As she tried to approach Tess he yanked her back and sent her flying. Then when she tried to approach Tess again, he picked her clean off the floor by her harness and slammed her down onto the grass. The puppy was trying to cower away from him, but he kept yanking her, so she ended up crawlng along next to him with her tummy on the floor and tail between her legs. Because she was crawling (clearly through fear) he got annoyed with her for taking too long and pushed her onto the floor again and threatened to kick her. sad01_anim.gif

This was really upsetting to watch and I feel useless for not doing or saying anything, but at the same time, don't know what I can say without making the situation worse. I did suggest puppy classes in the past (this was before it got this bad), but I think he thought I was interfering, maybe I am, I don't know. sad02.gif

I know it doesn't sound like it, but he isn't a nasty man, I just don't think he can cope with a hyper puppy.

I'm interested in other peoples opinions, as I suspect I should just mind my own business, but I can't help but be concerned at the same time.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I think his age probably does have much to do with it - not because of his health but because some of the older training ideas are just that way out - EG I read a book by one of the first police dog handlers who amongst his methods suggested firing a catapult at the dogs kennel - or even hind quarters, kneeing a dog in the chest (to prevent jumping up - & if it hurt the dog so much the better they'd learn all the faster):ohmy:

Are you interfering? Possibly

Should you do so? Probably, doesn't sound like a great life for this pup

Will he listen to you if you try & offer help / a demo?

If not you can probably only try the RSPCA or possibly a Dog Warden but I wouldn't like to say whether either will do any good or not.

Poor puppy.

Can you find out where he got the pup from? If it was from a responsible breeder they may be willing to intervene.

If you have a friendly dog warden they may be willing to have a friendly chat, but so many people think that these are acceptable methods of training.

Alternatively the RSPCA may be willing to call but you would need to know his address

Poor puupy, wondering if there is another reason, if he's not well or wife ill or something. He probably just finds the dog a bit much, folk forget how much work pups are. Does his wife walk the pup or is it just him? She maybe more open to suggestions.

AnnS

I think you should get involved, whether he's normally nice or not, what you just described sounds like abuse to me :(

totally agree with the above, a puppy is a delicate thing and could easily be physically damaged by that behaviour, and i dread to think about the psychological damage that is probably being done. if you feel you can't say anything to his face call the rspca,or the dog warden or put a note through his door stating that his behaviour is unacceptable and you will report him if you witness him treating the dog like this again (although you run the risk of the dog being walked somewhere else.. if at all)

I think you should get involved, whether he's normally nice or not, what you just described sounds like abuse to me :(

Totally agree with celeste here, that is abuse! :angry: :angry: It wouldn't bother me how old the guy is or what might be going on in his personal life, that puppy is helpless and obviously has not got a clue why he is being treated the way he is. I personally would tell him to get a grip and if I'd see him treat that poor dog like that once more I'd 'do' him to the rspca for abuse! (doesn't matter that the rspca in all likelihood won't do anything, he doesn't need to know that!). He might well think that this is acceptable behaviour, in which case he just might need a little 'wake up call'. GRRRRRRRR!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Rant over.

Poor puupy, wondering if there is another reason, if he's not well or wife ill or something. He probably just finds the dog a bit much, folk forget how much work pups are. Does his wife walk the pup or is it just him? She maybe more open to suggestions.

AnnS

His wife has never been involved in walking the dogs. She plays golf and lunches with friends most days. I get the impression that she was the one that wanted the puppy, as he has never seemed very keen. Worryingly he said today that she is stricter on discipline than he is. unsure.gif

He did make a comment about how somebody will probably end up reporting him for cruelty, but it was said in a joking way. Although I did point out that she was clearly scared of him and that his methods were ineffective anyway. I know he thinks I should mind my own business as he goes out of his way to avoid me.

We do have an animal warden, but they have never bothered to come out when I have called in the past. Although this was to report dead animals, not cruelty.

I have to admit, it is his age that is putting me off of being more assertive, but I'm glad that other people agree that this isn't acceptable.

One of the other dog walkers (another retired man) has also commented about his treatment of the dog, so I might have a word with him to see if he would say something, as I think he is more likely to listen to him, he clealy just finds me interfering and offensive.

I would ring the RSPCA Inspectors helpline

0870 55 55 999

It's a central number to report things to the Inspectors and not linked to local RSPCA Animal Homes ... the people you will talk to on there have always been really helpful when I've rung. You would have to have his address ... they will ask for your name and address and phone number but this will not be divulged to anybody so the man with the pup will not know it's you.

I would tell them you consider his treatment of this pup as serious abuse and that other people have commented and that the man does not take any notice of comments you've made. I would also tell them that he's said that his wife his harder on the dog than he is. An Inspector should go round and talk to them ... it will depend on the area and how busy they are as to when they go. Leave it a week and ring back and ask what's happened .. some Inspector's will ring you and update .. other's you have to ring and ask for an update.

Sometimes it only takes the RSPCA to call for the situation to change ... if they've found out that the dog's too much perhaps the Inspector could get them to sign it over.

This pup will turn into a dog with behavioural problems if it gets treated like that for showing normal happy puppy behaviour.

Do it for the dog :ph34r_anim:

I don't think his age has to be seen as an isssue, what he is doing is so cruel, poor little pup. I would be contacting the RSPCA/Warden and also having a word with him telling him your concerns, if he gets stroppy then tell him you are reporting him. :angry:

:cussing: Motormouth here would have had a right go, can't be seen as pensioner bashing because I am one so it's allowed.

My Dad is in his 70s and he would never do that to a pup:angry: The man is a bully and that pup needs someone to help it...if he does that sort of thing in public, god knows what he does to it in private.

I wouls be on the phone to the RSPCA.

God it makes me so angry just reading about this poor dog, I totally think you should poke your nose in as this poor puppy cant speak for herself and its totally unfair to treat her this way, would this bloke like to be treated like that.mad.gif

I would have gave him a right mouth full (sorry),.

Any chance of offering to buy her off him? maybe he would be greatful to get rid of her, guess the only worry is he would get another one thinking that it would be different. Or kidnapping herrolleyes.gif .

really i would speak to the helpline rspca and see what they say, it wont hurt to find out.

Please please do keep us update about her.

gillian

I would also have to intervene, I couldn't let that go by.

There was an older man 'training' one of his ESS's on the Chase. The dog was ignoring his whistles and signals. As I walked up the path, I got mine close to me because the one dog was on the path and didn't look 'right' at all, very anxious. The dog on the path was a JRT and I soon saw whey he was looking so wary. The man was thrashing the spaniel with a thin leather lead and after he put on the said lead, proceeded to belt the dog around the face. I told him to stop hurting his dog and he went into a rant about 'don't you tell me how to train dogs...' His last comment was, 'I've tried everything else'. So what was he going to do? Keep going until he nearly killed his dog - because that was the only other option left to him on that train of thought :(

I'm quite sure he didn't pay any attention to me but at least it might make him stop and think before he acts like that again (at least in front of people).

If the dog warden is no help then I would walk up to him and ask him if you can have a chat. It's not age, it's knowledge and perspective.