UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

It'S Sparky'S First Gotcha Day Today!

BillyMalc

After much uhmming and ahrring, one of my friends left her dog Sparky with me on this day last year. Sparky had always been much loved and well looked after during the time she had him, but a clash of personalities meant that they were both constantly on edge. My friend was always worried that Sparky might bite someone one day and Sparky thought that the world must be a very scary place if his mum was so on edge all the time.

So Sparks arrived at mine last year, very high wired and looking for all those enemies that were going to eat us and he had to defend us against. To his surprise, there were very few, and the ones that he did meet appeared to be just after him, because Kiera and I were defnitely not bothered!

Sparky's turned out to be a very bright little man, and a very keen learner. We went to training classes and in Feb of this year Sparky passed his KCGC Bronze! Since then, because the distance and training times were quite awkward for us, we've been practising at home and he's been a little star!

Living with us has brought a few new experiences for Sparky, like camping. For a dog who can be wary of people and other dogs in the outside world, this was quite a big thing but Sparky found safety and comfort in the big belly of Jim the van, and gradually became more relaxed.

Long walks are now part and parcel of living with us too, and Sparks is enjoying all his new experiences very much.

Another hurdle that we seem to be overcoming his is fear of squeaky toys. Sparky has ran a mile whenever he heard a squeak, and Kiera's very favourite toy in the whole wide world has got a squeak in it too, so that needed addressing at some point. Sparks will now sit in the doorway to the kitchen when I squeak Kiera's ball and give out treats at the same time! :)

As for Kiera: she's now finally got her much wanted playmate/partner in crime. They just match each other perfectly and it's great to watch them play :)

Welcome home, my Sparkily lad. So glad you decided to come and live with us :wub: :wub: :wub:

A few of pics from this year:

He did have a run in with a mastiff, who let him know what she thought of Sparky's slightly unpolished manners and gave him a puncture in his leg. "Guilty your honour. I won't do it again"

Sparkystripyshirt27082009004.jpg

Finding safety inside Jim the van on his first ever camping trip:

Sparkysfirstcampingtrip13140609029.jpg

He can be quite the poser when he wants to:

MoelFamau25072009017.jpg

Wasdale1821092009066.jpg

"Bonny and Clyde", as they are also known, looking for trouble:

MoelFamau22082009032.jpg

You'd want these mugs on a "Wanted" poster! (on top of Great Gable in September):

Wasdale1821092009028.jpg

A year already?? :unsure: I know how much work this has been for you Billy, but what a result!I feel privilidged to have met Sparky at Waseley Hills and the Oldie camping trip. Sparky an Kiera make a lovely pair of renegades, bless 'em. :wub: :wub: Happy Gotcha day Sparky :biggrin: :partytime: :circle:

(Love the "prisoner" pic") :laugh:

Edited by houndzrus

Thank you all! :) :)

We had a lovely walk this morning in Marbury Country Park and they had a "pig's" ear in the van at the end of it. I had planned to do some training and games with many treats with them when we got home, but the hooligans had other plans: they took themselves to bed! :ohmy: :laugh: So I took myself off to bed as well for a little nap, then went out for a run and when I came back they were both wide awake, bless em. We'll be going out again in a minute and we'll be having roasties for tea tonight, as I know for sure that they both like that very much (as do I of course! :D ). And we might do fun and games after tea - unless, of course, they take themselves off to bed again, lol!