UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Raw Feeders

celeste

I don't use Landywoods as I find the owner snappy and I won't deal with people like that.

The BritBarf site is good. Lots of members who are happy to answer anything at all - even if you think it's a silly question. The members are very knowlegeable.

Hope that helps and it hasn't confused you. You are welcome to PM me. flowers.gif

Funnily enough I found the person on the other end of the 'phone at Landywoods a little 'off hand' which made me feel a bit disconcerted though I don't know who it wasrolleyes.gif

I had my first order last month and it did come very frozen-no chance of it thawing out very quickly at allrolleyes.gif

I have found it to be a bit yucky compared to Prize Choice Freeflow which I had previously been using. Dogs seemed fine on it but it is very gooey and bloody and more smelly which I am sure is ok for the doglets but no good if you have a delicate stomach. Probably because I am a vegan myselflaugh.gif

I still prefer the Prize Choice one but it does work out more expensive to use.

I give mine chicken wings as a treat 3 times a week and when they have their meat I add veg, some raw, some cooked depending what I use.

I also add flax oil and a small amount of Multiplex powder.

They have fruit and seeds alsotongue.gif

I must say though that our dogs health, stamina and condition have improved enormously since I started feeding rawsmile.gif

Edited by Houndwoman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: Thats ok, I didn't read it that way at all :laugh:

I live in central Fife in Scotland.

Thanks for looking for me :flowers:

Celeste

When I lived in Fife I used the Landywoods pick up at the Forth Bridge. The meat is not frozen, at least not when picked up. It also does smell highly sometimes - not off , just high.

It is supplied in open polythene bags, not sealed.

Fife Animal Feeds has recently started selling Durham Animal Feeds meats and they are excellent- and frozen in sealed packs.

http://www.fifeanimalfeeds.co.uk/

Steve is based in Leslie and does deliveries. He is arranging a delivery to Inverness for a group of us up there, so I am sure could deliver to you.

There is a raw feeder of Bernese at Blairgowrie who is trying to organise a delivery/pick up.

I am up in north of Inverness now, but have arranged to meet him at Kinross service station to pick up am order when I return from Edinburgh next week.

If you email him he will send you a price list and be able to advise re delivery.

Edited by blackmagic

Celeste

When I lived in Fife I used the Landywoods pick up at the Forth Bridge. The meat is not frozen, at least not when picked up. It also does smell highly sometimes - not off , just high.

It is supplied in open polythene bags, not sealed.

Fife Animal Feeds has recently started selling Durham Animal Feeds meats and they are excellent- and frozen in sealed packs.

http://www.fifeanimalfeeds.co.uk/

Steve is based in Leslie and does deliveries. He is arranging a delivery to Inverness for a group of us up there, so I am sure could deliver to you.

There is a raw feeder of Bernese at Blairgowrie who is trying to organise a delivery/pick up.

I am up in north of Inverness now, but have arranged to meet him at Kinross service station to pick up am order when I return from Edinburgh next week.

If you email him he will send you a price list and be able to advise re delivery.

Brilliant ! :elefant: I'm only a few miles from Kinross and Leslie :elefant:

Have PM'd you :flowers:

I tried raw feeding with my lot and they didn't enjoy it at all, plus I found it really difficult to get fresh meat.

There's an article by John Burns about the BARF diet which I found interesting read.

That does make interesting reading, and he does have some point's, although some of it comes across as a bit of a "my foods better than your food" to me there are diets that will suit some dogs and won't suit others, I don't think BARF's the "be all and end all" of dog nutrition, but for Ben, I think it might be the way to go, his breeders had excellent results using it with all his TM's, I can only try it and see :flowers:

i use durham animal feeds meat and its brilliant i only ever had one issue with some chicken which didnt seem right but i called them and they took it away on the next delivery and replaced it not had any trouble since and i use all of the meat including pheasant, rabbit,venison,as well as the usual choice.

in fact my lot are currently all gnawing on huge venison meaty bones to take their minds off the fireworks

I want DAF to deliver down here, or have someone who will as they have such good stuff. Seems all the good companies are midlands or further north and don't deliver down here.

I use Albion Meats who are pretty good, but I would like a bit more variety as I have a dog who I prefer to keep off beef if I can.

I want DAF to deliver down here, or have someone who will as they have such good stuff. Seems all the good companies are midlands or further north and don't deliver down here.

I use Albion Meats who are pretty good, but I would like a bit more variety as I have a dog who I prefer to keep off beef if I can.

What area are you in, khanu?

I got a very speedy reply and price list from the chap in Leslie, there's so much to choose from :wacko:

I'm going to get some mince and try some of the Prize Choice packets tomorrow as I can get them from P@H, just to see what he likes, get a cheap chest freezer from Argos and place an order....sorted :biggrin:

I'm just a bit concerned about the other stuff, herbage, and grains....it feels a bit like letting go of the side at the swimming baths for the first time :laugh:

i get packets of cheap frozen veg and puree it and mix in. 1 dont give veg every day and do give a little complete dog food occasionally too.

i give eggs including shells, yoghurt and cottage cheese and raw meaty bones, i wouldnt worry too much about the amounts of veg, i dont and ive been feeding raw for 18 years to both my own and the rescues and all have thrived on it (i do cook it occasionally in winter and bung grated veg in and make a stew in the dogs slow cooker.

as far as supplements go i use SA-37

ETA or stress powder

Although I feed processed veg on occasions, I do not count them as part of their diet. If I have veg or fruit that is a bit past its best I bung it on the food processor, mush it up and freeze it in portions. You only need about a tablespoonful at a time.

Sometimes I add a raw egg to a meal, or yoghurt or cottage chees , if I have some in the fridge.

Tinned sardines in sunflower oil and pilchards in tomato sauce also go down well for a treat.

Any of our leftover veg goes in their dish.

I feed a raw diet, as opposed to a Barf diet.

5-15% of the is bone

60 -70 % muscle meat

10-20% liver or kidney

That doesn't need to be every day, it could be over a week or a month. Some dogs can only tolerate a small amount of offal at a time, other scan eat a lot at once without consequences.

I use DAF minced meats,( some of which have bone in) and feed Tesco chicken wings and, if we have a chicken, the dogs get the carcass.

Sometimes they get pork ribs.

I don't use lamb bones as one of my dogs can't have lamb.

If you Google for 'raw feeding dogs' you'll get lots of sites with information and examples of raw feeding.

There are as many ways to feed a raw diet as there are to people who feed raw.

Each finds what suits them and their dog best.

Having someone who can mentor you and hold your hand to begin with is very useful.