UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Avoid Nike

cycas

Nike, manufacturer of running gear and shoes, think that Michael Vick is a suitable figurehead for their marketing:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h0PBoSEHQJ6fBWKOE_uaNKl9tZ1wD9B20GI00

I'm not saying that Vick should not be given a chance to put right what he has done wrong or that someone who has committed a crime should never be given another chance - but there is a difference between rehabilitation and 'whopping great sponsorship deal'.

The man's behaved like a monster: surely there were other athletes? I am sickened by this. Please consider brands other than Nike, and spread the word.

* Before you say it, yes, I am aware that Nike also employs children working long hours in their factories. They are scummy on many levels. Don't buy their stuff.

there are no words printable for me to describe the hatred i feel for that man.

Melp and i spoke at length with the main welfare officer involved in his case last year he was still moved to tears by his experiences.

please write to nike to express your disgust at their choice of figurehead :(

this post is kind of odd, really

nike have have been unethically unsound for years, sweatshops n'all.

im surprised that this latest is a suprise?

or is it because us animals lovers don't give such thought to these things until animals are dragged into it?

just a thought. :sleep:

Nike being unethically sound was mentioned by the OP and various people in response. I can't remember ever buying any Nike stuff.

In my experience, ie people I know, I'd say that animal lovers are possibly more concerned about human rights issues than the average member of the public anyway, animal welfare issues aside.

Doesn't mean people can't be outraged that they've chosen to sponsor a convicted dog fighter though, does it.

im surprised that this latest is a suprise?

or is it because us animals lovers don't give such thought to these things until animals are dragged into it?

just a thought. :sleep:

No, I don't think so at all. I think it's not a good idea to assume that 'everyone knows' about a company or brand, particularly one that is in as many markets as Nike, I also think we should recognise that companies do change their business practices and attitudes. Nor is there any obvious link between their manufacturing processes and their promotional strategy.

By highlighting this latest, I wanted to let everyone know what I thought of it, and tell anyone who had missed it (and lets face it there are so many things to be aware of, it's not unlikely that lots of people will have missed this one).

If you assume that 'Oh, they are poo and everyone knows it, there is no point in even commenting' I think Nike is actually supported by that. Nike will certainly have people monitoring their brand reputation across the net in realtime. We should talk about this - forums, facebook, twitter wherever. That's how brand strategies get changed nowadays. This post isn't much of a 'buzz' but it's better nor nowt!

I'm not saying that Vick should not be given a chance to put right what he has done wrong or that someone who has committed a crime should never be given another chance - but there is a difference between rehabilitation and 'whopping great sponsorship deal'.

I have been quite surprised by peoples willingness to forgive this monster for the barbaric and sickening cruelty that he inflicted on those innocent animals. Particulary by those that are now working directly with the victims of all this, the dogs themselves. I'm not saying it's wrong to forgive, but I really don't think people like him are ever sorry for what they have done, just sorry that they got caught, and if you're not sorry how can you seek forgiveness? It's easy to seem genuine when you've got a well paid publicist spoon-feeding you your 'apology'.

You have to have something fundamentally wrong with you to derive pleasure from the suffering of other beings, be that other people or animals. I don't think you can rehabilitate that type of character in an eighteen month period, if ever. It seems to me that Vick and Nike are morally well matched.

there are no words printable for me to describe the hatred i feel for that man.

Me too, and I was only privy to the information in the press, I can't even begin to imagine the true horrors of what went on. mecry.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I always wear Nike trainers and never knew any of this. So thanks for the heads up. Now wondering which company I can buy from next. Hmm. Had I know they used children I wouldn't have bought their products.

I think most of the branded sportswear companies operate in the same manner. A few years ago, Adidas were dragged through the press for their poor employment conditions and tried to smarten up their act. Knowing that Nike were worse I switched to Adidas. They still no doubt use cheap labour but reportedly their conditions have improved in recent years :flowers:

• 2 months later...