UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Could Smudge Have Some Come Home Thoughts Please

Sophie

I have just read some of the comments written about the article which was published in the local paper.

All I can say is why did most of them bother? None are helpful or kind, and make you wonder are these people "for real"! Certainly doesn't make me want to visit the area with locals around like that.

I hope he comes home safe and sound as we all do on the Refuge!

Thanks for drawing my attention to the recent comments. I have posted an update on the site. Don't worry about Albert of Mumbles, you are unlikely to meet him and his ilk if you visit the area. They are too busy at home, dishing out disapproval from the safety of their computers.

The local people at Oxwich have been super :wub: and I'm sure you would feel welcome if you came here.

Wispa and I arrived there at 5 pm yesterday, and after a romp on the beach and a splash in the waves she started air scenting and was ready for action. I decided to continue along the beach to a shallow river, thinking that if Smudge is anywhere around he would go there for drinking. We followed it a short way inland, and then Wispa picked up the trail and went into tracking mode. Birds, bunnies and even a microlight directly above, went ignored. She was clearly after a male dog of the right height, as he had thoughtfully lifted his leg every so often! After a winding trek along very narrow paths, stopping as W followed the winding trail into the bracken and out again, we found ourselves close to the original burrow where his ball was found. But she led me away down another path and showed me a burrow which had been widened by enthusiastic digging. Then I followed her on through a bit of woodland, and eventually out nearly to the main entrance to the car park. At that point the trail went into bunny tunnels through thick brambles. Neither of us could get any further.

She switched off, took her nose of the ground, and marched us straight to the car park entrance where we found a local couple with a pair of jackies. Wispa poked me and looked at them, as if to say, go on and do the people talk stuff, it's your job :laugh: So I introduced myself to the excellent Sarah and Rod, and it turns out they walk the dunes at dusk every single night. They hadn't seen the car park poster as they park outside the barrier and walk straight into the dunes from there. I gave them Kathy's number, and they will do their best to help. Turns out their dogs went crazy on Thurs eve at exactly the same point that Morse did.

The journey was worth it for meeting them alone, but I did do the fryup near the burrow where the ball was found, and left some sossijes and a rasher. And Wispa had some as well, naturally.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So pleased Owl that you are closeish enough to keep on the case, and as for Wispa..she is just amazing, she definitely knows what she is doing.

Hopefully Sarah and Rod might catch a glimpse of Smudge one night very soon.

Are there any group searches planned? or would it be likely to spook Smudge.

It's a bit of a treck from here, and I don't know the area at all, but will keep a watch on the thread.

(Robbie is quite good at tracking, but also very good at disappearing and going 'deaf' mad.gif so probably not such a good idearolleyes.gif)

In the meantime PLEEEEESE come out and be seen Smudge

No group searches planned, might worry him and if he is as I (and Wispa) believe still in the area of dunes and nature reserve, we don't want to do anything to move him further along. We just have to keep everything crossed that one of the regular dogwalkers spots him. He is friendly with other dogs so may even come and greet one if he gets fed up of his own company.

I am poorly with a horrid cold which has gone to my chest, so can't go back on the trail for a few days. It does reassure me to know that Rod and Sarah are walking the reserve every day, and that lots of people know about the little chap.

I still believe with all my heart that he is up and running and living on the nature reserve on the dunes where he was last seen. I'm not trusting faith or intuition here but Wispa's nose which is probably the smartest thing in the owlery.

Thanks for the continueing thoughts.  My mum was back down there yesterday afternoon, stayed over last night and was there today.  Still no sign of him, but we have to hope he's still enjoying hunting through the dunes and will make himself known when he's had enough.

Owl, hope you are feeling better soon :flowers:  Thanks again for all your help :flowers: