UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

:-( Thought This Was Very Sad

murtle

It would probably help if, instead of feeding the cats, every tourist caught one tom (there are English people on Rhodes who would advise on where to find a vet and get a cat carrier) and paid for him to be neutered. As few of the cats have owners, though some do and are extremely well cared for, no one could complain and if you did it at the beginning of the holiday, you could collect the cat after the op and release it when it was feeling ok after the anaesthetic. A bit of banging heads together for these "macho" men might help too, why do the silly fools imagine its worse for a cat to be chopped than to be poisoned? I like the Greek people and holiday in Greece a lot, but this is one aspect of their lifestyle I really can't understand. :mecry:

Suzeanna, that's an excellent idea, I don't go on foreign holidays because I couldn't bare to see all the stray's and the way some nationalities treat their animals (not that the Brits are that wonderful )but I'll certainly be suggesting the neutering to holidaying friends.

Suzeanna, that's an excellent idea, I don't go on foreign holidays because I couldn't bare to see all the stray's and the way some nationalities treat their animals (not that the Brits are that wonderful )but I'll certainly be suggesting the neutering to holidaying friends.

I agree - very sad situation. :(

UK-based organisation, working for Greek animals...

http://www.greekanimalrescue.com/

That's the organisation I volunteered for all those years ago, and through which I got my Mal. They really are doing excellent work, supporting lots of well-run shelters (not to be confused with the animal hoarders!) and rehoming animals abroad - as the rehoming situation in Greece is hopeless. :flowers:

Unfortunately, while tourists feeding cats and dogs might have some impact, as the article states, a lot of animals also feed off the rubbish bins and general rubbish that is being thrown on the ground - not just by tourists. And the general attitude against neutering also means that, even if animals aren't fed, it doesn't stop them from breeding. It also doesn't stop people consciously breeding their dogs and throw the puppies that they can't sell out on the streets to "get a chance in life". :mad: :mad: :mecry: Plus the fact that dogs and cats have been living with humans for many centuries now meansthat they do not readily withdraw into the hills and the wilderness to eat rats and snakes, as has been suggested.

What the country really needs is a national change of attitude towards animals, because it isn't just the older generation who abuses them. I wish I had the answer as to how to bring that about - if I had it I'd be screaming it from the roof tops, believe you me!

I think tourists can help by working with the existing animal charities and sponsoring a spay ,

not sure I would recommend tourists collecting animals directly taking them to be sterilised and releasing them post surgery as there are a lot of additional considerations involved that the local animal welfare charity would be aware of

edited to add, its my understanding that the more you feed community ( stray ) cats the more kittens they have each litter so additionally just feeding them alone can make the situation worse